Tracing coax through drywall and only have one end of cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently purchased a house and found a blank faceplate in the living room. Behind it was a coax cable with no F-connector. Had the cable company come out, put an F-connector on it and tone test it to see if it runs back to the main junction box. Apparently it does not. I went into the (finished) basement below the living room, can see about 18" of the cable, but then it runs back into the ceiling of the basement. I've had the cable company out twice more, they've tone tested every F-connector in the house, but none of them pair to the living room outlet.

Is there a device/process that I can use to find the end of this coax? I'm sure it was covered when they finished the basement. I'd love to use a wire tracer (eg - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sperry-LAN-Tracker-Wire-Tracer-ET64220/202520187#.Uf0iFtLVAz8 ) but I'm afraid the shielding on the coax will prevent that from working.

Thoughts? I'm approaching desperation.

thanks!
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-03-2013, 10:40 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked: 726
what might be useful is a tone generator and probe. Basically you send a signal in the wire and wave the probe around in the vicinity of the wire and it will sound a tone that you are getting close. It can locate a cable on the other side of a piece of drywall. If you have any luck you can trace the path. Surprised that the guys who came out didn't have one.

http://www.flukenetworks.com/datacom-cabling/installation-tools/Pro3000-Analog-Tone-and-Probe
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page