LED Rope Lighting Advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 08-03-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I am considering buying LED rope light to place in crown molding outside my small home theater or possibly in both. Ceilings are low (~7.5ft). Having said that I have a couple of questions:

• If the crown is placed 1-1/2 inches or less from the ceiling sufficient ?
  • Where is the best place to purchase LED rope light from? I've seen some say CBConcept but do they have the best pricing?
  • Is there a specific type of LED lighting that I should purchase? Are some better than others? I've seen Christmas LED rope lighting a bit cheaper at times but are these lights going to fail easier?

Also, I'm considering making a couple of lighted posters. I assume that most use 50ft of rope light for a single poster but is this correct? Again, is there a specific type of light to get that is brighter? I have an incandescent one now (50ft) but it's not bright enough. Lastly, should one get the warm white or cool white to place behind the poster and will the cool white shift the colors of the poster to blue?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 08-04-2013, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anybody?
post #3 of 38 Old 08-04-2013, 03:05 PM
CEO FALCON SCREENS

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 57
you may want to look at led strip lights and not rope lights i think the strip are cheaper

i got mine for my light trey here

http://www.hitlights.com/led-strip-light/indoor-led-strip-light.html
post #4 of 38 Old 08-04-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 44
I bought mine on Amazon and I placed mine only 1 1/2 below the ceiling and they look great.
post #5 of 38 Old 08-12-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Any other advice?

Will 30 ft work for a lighted poster?

I'm not seeing LED strips cheaper for a 50' spool. Wouldn't you need to buy a power supply also. I plan on connecting the light to a Smarthome dimmer.
post #6 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
its going to cost more but I did mine in Philips Hue Light strips. For me, I wanted the control of them working with my phone and the roomie app so i can automate everything. Theyre really sweet but youll pay more for all the features.
post #7 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKINSnCANES View Post

its going to cost more but I did mine in Philips Hue Light strips. For me, I wanted the control of them working with my phone and the roomie app so i can automate everything. Theyre really sweet but youll pay more for all the features.

I'm doing a simliar setup except that I control my devices over iRule. I bought Insteon dimmers (~$45 each) and they use IP over your home wiring via a Insteon controller which connects to your home gateway. So in my case I only need the lighting.

And like you said, controlling everything over your phone/ipad is very nice! smile.gif
post #8 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

I'm doing a simliar setup except that I control my devices over iRule. I bought Insteon dimmers (~$45 each) and they use IP over your home wiring via a Insteon controller which connects to your home gateway. So in my case I only need the lighting.

And like you said, controlling everything over your phone/ipad is very nice! smile.gif

I wanted to be able to control colors too so thats why I went with these.

And when I did my design. I really liked the idea of having only one switch in my room. A master switch thats required by code. But all the lights are individually controllable without the extra dimmers, switches, etc. So yea it sucked paying 59 each for bulbs but I figure what I saved in switches, dimmers, wiring, etc, well i probably still spent more but I like them lol. I really like the colors. Its a good gimmick for the majority of people that come into my theater and just see lights and a big picture and dont care about anythign else.
post #9 of 38 Old 08-13-2013, 06:57 PM

Liked: 12
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040FJ27S/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^
^
The one "most" people use
I have a few strands. They are cool. Really easy to use and parts are cheap. They can work with anything.
Almost all of the rolls are 5m (16 ft) but then you can buy a little jumper for extra strands
You can cut it too.
I'm pretty sure you need a repeater if you connect anything longer than that first 5m but I'm not sure. They're only like $15.

As for the 1 1/2" from top, I personally don't like it. I left about that much around mine. When I put up the LED's, you can see the individual dots (LED's, both from the ground and reflection on the ceiling). I took them back down.
I, personally, am not into that. I need to find some sort of light diffuser that's smaller than an inch. The only other way would be aim at the wall and have it reflect up. That looked better.
I'm now considering side-lit fiber optic.

You also wanted to do a poster frame?
half way down the page...
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1464658/the-foxboro-black-and-tan-home-theater-erskine-dd-gg-fiber-optic-ceiling-80-done

It appears he used the cheap Home Depot rope light and a cheap IKEA frame. Probably around $30 to build it.

just my $.02

Pro-Am

Theater
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
Definitive Technology BP-2002TLs
Definitive Technology BP2X Speakers
Definitive Technology C/L/R 2500
Mirage BPS-400
Sharp AQUOS 70" 1080p LED HDTV

Living Room
Aperion Intimus 5 series
Denon AVR-1913
post #10 of 38 Old 08-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Do you have the details for the jumpers and repeaters you used?
post #11 of 38 Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

Do you have the details for the jumpers and repeaters you used?

Theyre in the suggested items on the link. Don't put too much thought into it. This is as easy as putting a stereo system in a car. It's literally connecting the wires. Plus its all 12v and cheap so you can't do much damage cool.gif They look way more intimidating than they are

If I remember right, one repeater (depending on size) will do another strand of the 5m LED's. The repeater is just that: a repeater so you don't need to have 5 remotes for 5 strands. It still needs power and such tho.

Pro-Am

Theater
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
Mirage BPS-400

Living Room
Aperion Intimus 5 series
Denon AVR-1913
post #12 of 38 Old 08-15-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have a custom frame now which has incandescent lighting but it's a bit dim so that's why I was planning on the LED route. I did read somewhere that cool white is a better choice over warm white since it's brighter and apparently doesn't affect colors the way that a cool color temperature does on displays.

SKINSnCANES,

Got it. Yeah changing the colors of individual lights does sound pretty cool That even might come in handy at Christmas.
post #13 of 38 Old 08-15-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply guys.

I have a custom frame now which has incandescent lighting but it's a bit dim so that's why I was planning on the LED route. I did read somewhere that cool white is a better choice over warm white since it's brighter and apparently doesn't affect colors the way that a cool color temperature does on displays.

SKINSnCANES,

Got it. Yeah changing the colors of individual lights does sound pretty cool That even might come in handy at Christmas.

I just came across something neat for people are unsure about "cool" or "warm" LED's

When in doubt: DO BOTH!!

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/led-strips-and-bars/nfls-w600-vct-series-variable-color-temperature-led-flexible-light-strip/689/

Pro-Am

Theater
Pioneer Elite VSX-94TXH
Mirage BPS-400

Living Room
Aperion Intimus 5 series
Denon AVR-1913
post #14 of 38 Old 10-28-2013, 10:39 AM

Liked: 10
question... these strip LED's...

I have been thinking about using these do do some lighting around the steps of the platform I just built for my home theater.

This would require some 90 degree bends. Does this tape flex easily or would I need to cut it at each 90 degree bend.
post #15 of 38 Old 10-28-2013, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Any other advice?

Will 30 ft work for a lighted poster?

I'm not seeing LED strips cheaper for a 50' spool. Wouldn't you need to buy a power supply also. I plan on connecting the light to a Smarthome dimmer.
There is a DIY poster thread using LED strips - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1392444/another-diy-poster-marquee-light-box

Also - in regard to using a Smarthome dimmer - you'll need to get a triac dimming transformer. The LED strips can't be dimmed directly from the switch as they are usually 12v or 24v. The transformer will adjust the power appropriately to the strips. You can also get a Lutron or Leviton magnetic dimmer and a magnetic dimming transformer.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #16 of 38 Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 41
To make a 90 degree turn around your steps you would need to use a connector. The strips will not turn a sharp corner. You could make a gradual bend but I"m guessing that isn't an option with the install you are looking at. I used pieces similar to this to make my turns. I cut out the excess wire I didn't need, spliced them back together and they made turning the corner pretty easy and didn't take up a ton of space.
post #17 of 38 Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

There is a DIY poster thread using LED strips - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1392444/another-diy-poster-marquee-light-box

Also - in regard to using a Smarthome dimmer - you'll need to get a triac dimming transformer. The LED strips can't be dimmed directly from the switch as they are usually 12v or 24v. The transformer will adjust the power appropriately to the strips. You can also get a Lutron or Leviton magnetic dimmer and a magnetic dimming transformer.

when you make the cut how do you splice them back together? Is there a DIY where I could see pictures?
post #18 of 38 Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Strip each side (each individual wire) and twist them back together. Add a little electrical tape to keep the wires separate and your done. You want to make it as short as possible so it will be a little tedious. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the one I did.
post #19 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Something like this or this could work as well.
post #20 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 01:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm sorry if I am off base here but I was looking for a thread of the person who explained a DIY on a light box for movie posters. He was using the spotlightdisplays.com poster box that you can switch in and out movie posters. If anyone can point me in the direction I would fully appreciate it . Thank you.
post #21 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espnetboy3 View Post

I'm sorry if I am off base here but I was looking for a thread of the person who explained a DIY on a light box for movie posters. He was using the spotlightdisplays.com poster box that you can switch in and out movie posters. If anyone can point me in the direction I would fully appreciate it . Thank you.

Here is a good reference: Another DIY poster/marquee light-box
post #22 of 38 Old 10-29-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Thank you Vanice!
post #23 of 38 Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I didn't want to start a new thread since most of what I'm looking for pertains to this. I want to add led strip lights under my riser as the step lights I have are not really useful. If I keep the red films in they are too dim and if I take them out they put to much light on the screen.

I plan on going with this kit that was recommended:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040FJ27S/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However, the only wrinkle is my outlet is in the middle of the riser so I need about 8 feet of light going left and 8 feet going right.

Would it be safe to assume I need these two items to do that?
http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Connector-Conductor-SMD5050-Changing/dp/B006VZKSNC/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Splitter-LED-Changing-Strips/dp/B0077IPRAG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_z

I think I need something after I cut the strip to get it to connect the other two parts listed above. Obviously the splitter goes into the power supply. The strip plugs into one and the connector into the other. Then I think I need something to attach the connector to the bare wires of the strip I cut?

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #24 of 38 Old 02-19-2014, 05:54 AM
Advanced Member

All, I am trying to figure out what all I need for my light tray. My tray is 22'x16'. I know that means I will need somewhere between 3-4 rolls of tape. I have wired a dimmed outlet into my light tray also. What do I need in order to wire all of these up and control them all with one remote?
post #25 of 38 Old 02-19-2014, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by design1stcode2nd View Post

I didn't want to start a new thread since most of what I'm looking for pertains to this. I want to add led strip lights under my riser as the step lights I have are not really useful. If I keep the red films in they are too dim and if I take them out they put to much light on the screen.

I plan on going with this kit that was recommended:

However, the only wrinkle is my outlet is in the middle of the riser so I need about 8 feet of light going left and 8 feet going right.

Would it be safe to assume I need these two items to do that?
http://www.amazon.com/HitLights-Connector-Conductor-SMD5050-Changing/dp/B006VZKSNC/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y
http://www.amazon.com/Ledwholesalers-Splitter-LED-Changing-Strips/dp/B0077IPRAG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_z

I think I need something after I cut the strip to get it to connect the other two parts listed above. Obviously the splitter goes into the power supply. The strip plugs into one and the connector into the other. Then I think I need something to attach the connector to the bare wires of the strip I cut?
I got something close to these Im trying a stained glass project now and I paid $37 for both the tri color and the pure whites 16' long one thing to be careful of is you can't run these in series you can run them parallel all day long as long as your transformer has enough amps, Im in the experimental phase now but if you want them to dim you need a dimming transformer as someone already said. My local guy gets them from http://www.nteinc.com/led-tubing.php?a=7

post #26 of 38 Old 03-31-2014, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch View Post

All, I am trying to figure out what all I need for my light tray. My tray is 22'x16'. I know that means I will need somewhere between 3-4 rolls of tape. I have wired a dimmed outlet into my light tray also. What do I need in order to wire all of these up and control them all with one remote?

Anyone?
post #27 of 38 Old 03-31-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I assume you are talking about LED light strips? For that size of light tray you would need (5) rolls of lights. You will have to split up your room into halves (I started in one cormer) and run two separate systems to cover the whole room. You would have trouble trying to run everything off of one power supply so it's just easier to break it up. These are the items I used for mine:

Qty 5 - LED Strips

Qty 2 - Power Supply

Qty 2 - Light Controller w/ Remote

Qty 1 pack - Strip Connectors (inline)

Qty 1 pack - Strip Connectors for Corners or these

These LED strips will not be able to be dimmed so you may want to switch out your dimmer for a regular switch if you go this route.
post #28 of 38 Old 03-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

I had been looking at these but your solution seems to be a lot cheaper. One issue, can these be controller together? I want them to act as one big strip when I dim or change the color.
post #29 of 38 Old 03-31-2014, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

All you have to do is wire the ir sensors for the controllers together so that they act as one unit. I'm assuming you are plugging both power supplies into the same outlet so they will be powered on and off at the same time.
post #30 of 38 Old 04-01-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'll avoid starting a new thread and use this one as it is relevant.

I've got crown molding ran around the soffit in my room, with the idea of putting type lighting behind it. See picture below.

8e9ygu9y.jpg

I want the rope lighting to essentially light up the Wall with an even wash of light, and don't want to be able to see the individual bulbs/dots. I want it even.

I have what I believe to be one challenge. My brother who was installing all the trim with me, hung the crown while I ran to the store for a couple more supplies. He coped the corners, creating the situation you see below.

u2a3e9y4.jpg

So the way I see it, I have to mount the lighting to the wall, right at the top of the crown so it will clear those corners. I'm about 6" tall, and took this picture with the camera at eye level standing in the riser in the back of the room. My concern is that from here, you would be able to see the right lights but I think I'll be safe... Barely. Thoughts?

2yqy7ype.jpg

Can I get the effect of i'm looking for and not see individual bulbs? I have a dimmer outlet in the corner to plug everything in to. I'd love your suggestions as I don't want to guess and end up replacing it. If I can't get the look I want, I just won't do it and it went be the end of the world.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page