Low Ceiling Newbie Theater /Media Room Build,: Can It Be Done?? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 08-15-2013, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Not my build - I just found that picture from a forum search. I know Ted has posted it a lot.

I do know that moving support posts would require a structural engineer to do an assessment and draw up plans - that's $1500 right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 08-15-2013, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

Losing a quarter of your brightness is a bit more than "moderate," IMO. Your mileage may vary.

You would be surprised how little difference 25% makes visually. Its noticeable, but just barely.
Quote:
In my experience, nothing is straightforward when soundproofing is involved. smile.gif
Possible, yes. But also more difficult.

Ceiling mounting a projector to a decoupled ceiling is no more challenging than a regular ceiling - just use some plywood instead of drywall as your first layer around where the projector is to be mounted. Heck, projectors are light enough these days you could probably get away with just using drywall toggle bolts - 2 layers of drywall is incredibly strong.

Ceiling mounting an electric roll down screen - that's challenging smile.gif
post #33 of 48 Old 08-15-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromkamp View Post

You would be surprised how little difference 25% makes visually. Its noticeable, but just barely.

Are you taking into consideration the natural dimming of the lamp over time? If you cripple yourself right from the start, you have a lot less lattitude when the lamp dims.

To each their own. That's just not something I'd feel comfortable doing.
Quote:
Ceiling mounting a projector to a decoupled ceiling is no more challenging than a regular ceiling - just use some plywood instead of drywall as your first layer around where the projector is to be mounted. Heck, projectors are light enough these days you could probably get away with just using drywall toggle bolts - 2 layers of drywall is incredibly strong.

I was referring to recessing the projector into the ceiling, which requires building a soundproofed box around it. And that's assuming that it will fit between the joists.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #34 of 48 Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Recessing is a different thing. All I was saying is that a typical projector of, say, 6" height, flush-mounted to the ceiling shouldn't be a problem with people hitting their head on it, even with 7' high ceilings. Unless they are doing jumping jacks right below it smile.gif
post #35 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I've been around here for over six years and pretty much know of all the small builds, but never realized we had quite that many low ones smile.gif

My last room was about 6'6" finished height - http://www.avsforum.com/t/940105/theater-for-hobbits-big-screen-miniscule-space

If you need maximum clearance under the projector, you can also consider flush mounting into a recess in the ceiling like I did. Just make sure there's enough horizontal clearance for air intake, and that the exhaust location is away from the enclosed area. I didn't and had to waste a few inches lowering the mount. http://www.avsforum.com/t/940105/theater-for-hobbits-big-screen-miniscule-space/60#post_12956953

Back when I first posted those plans, folks made the same jumping jacks jokes. biggrin.gif

Theater for Hobbits 1.0 - One of the smallest-ever (13' x 8' x 6'8") AVS builds!

Theater for Hobbits 2.0 - AVS HT of the Month - This time it's 2.35 CIH in a 10' x 10' alcove!

post #36 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
mind is also flush against the ceiling. my epson 8350 has the exhaust in the front so this wasnt an issue. the OP is also using an epson 8350 smile.gif
post #37 of 48 Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowkarver View Post

I've been around here for over six years and pretty much know of all the small builds, but never realized we had quite that many low ones smile.gif

My last room was about 6'6" finished height - http://www.avsforum.com/t/940105/theater-for-hobbits-big-screen-miniscule-space

If you need maximum clearance under the projector, you can also consider flush mounting into a recess in the ceiling like I did. Just make sure there's enough horizontal clearance for air intake, and that the exhaust location is away from the enclosed area. I didn't and had to waste a few inches lowering the mount. http://www.avsforum.com/t/940105/theater-for-hobbits-big-screen-miniscule-space/60#post_12956953

Back when I first posted those plans, folks made the same jumping jacks jokes. biggrin.gif

I had a local home theater builder over today. He strongly suggested having my basement dug out around the footers to give the room additional height since i want 2 rows..........
post #38 of 48 Old 08-21-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

To an update for those following. Talked to a lot of local builders and they were just looking for money $$ and didn't care about project beyond that and my wants/needs. After reading millions of threads on here I am moving it the DIY route as much as possible.

I have emailed BigMouthinDC and hopefully we can work together and stream our build live for all AVS members to watch!

Room is demo'ed and now waiting on dumpster to arrive to clear material out.
linkseo likes this.
post #39 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post

To an update for those following. Talked to a lot of local builders and they were just looking for money $$ and didn't care about project beyond that and my wants/needs. After reading millions of threads on here I am moving it the DIY route as much as possible.

I have emailed BigMouthinDC and hopefully we can work together and stream our build live for all AVS members to watch!

I've looked at all the websites of the custom theater builders in the Chicago area and they all want crazy money to do the work. Some of them claim to "work closely" with you on design but who knows what that really means. For my part, I intend to own the design and I will farm out various jobs to the lowest bidder (that I feel comfortable with) as I go. So I already know a guy who does framing and drywall - now I just need to find a electrician and someone to to run the vents.

I'm not totally opposed to doing the work myself but I also don't think I would be happy with the results and since I own almost no power tools, it's probably not going to be much cheaper.
post #40 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I met with close to a dozen contractors before I found one that I liked. Most of them had a certain way of doing things that they were set on regardless of what I wanted in the room. Eventually, I found a good one. Angie's List helped. If you haven't signed up for that, I recommend it.

Josh Z

post #41 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I met with close to a dozen contractors before I found one that I liked. Most of them had a certain way of doing things that they were set on regardless of what I wanted in the room. Eventually, I found a good one. Angie's List helped. If you haven't signed up for that, I recommend it.

really?!? tell me more about your angie's list experience? I've scoffed at that every time I looked at it.
post #42 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:

didnt now Big would come that far north. This gonna be good suscribed
post #43 of 48 Old 08-22-2013, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo View Post

didnt now Big would come that far north. This gonna be good suscribed

I figured if he would go all the way out to Ohio he would shoot up to South Jersey (which is much closer) We'll see.

Either way i'm going to stream my theater build live on internet for people to watch.
post #44 of 48 Old 08-23-2013, 11:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

really?!? tell me more about your angie's list experience? I've scoffed at that every time I looked at it.

In my experience, Angie's List is very useful for sorting through a multitude of options and weeding out companies that have poor service or quality. I still had to meet with a bunch of contractors (I only scheduled time with ones that had high user ratings) to find one I liked, but the process would have been much more difficult if I'd had to meet with bozos and scam artists too just to rule them out.

The reason Angie's List is worth paying for (as opposed to the many similar free options) is that the site makes efforts to validate that the user feedback is honest (not just shills for the companies giving themselves high ratings) and will outright dump companies from the list if they don't meet certain rating standards. The site also encourages the companies to deliver good service by offering perks to those with excellent feedback.

Also, every single contractor I met with offered a discount for Angie's List members.

Josh Z

post #45 of 48 Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

In my experience, Angie's List is very useful for sorting through a multitude of options and weeding out companies that have poor service or quality. I still had to meet with a bunch of contractors (I only scheduled time with ones that had high user ratings) to find one I liked, but the process would have been much more difficult if I'd had to meet with bozos and scam artists too just to rule them out.

The reason Angie's List is worth paying for (as opposed to the many similar free options) is that the site makes efforts to validate that the user feedback is honest (not just shills for the companies giving themselves high ratings) and will outright dump companies from the list if they don't meet certain rating standards. The site also encourages the companies to deliver good service by offering perks to those with excellent feedback.

Also, every single contractor I met with offered a discount for Angie's List members.

$5 account activation chaps my hide a little bit but I'll get over it...
post #46 of 48 Old 08-23-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post

$5 account activation chaps my hide a little bit but I'll get over it...

Put that in the context of how much you're going to spend on construction.

Josh Z

post #47 of 48 Old 08-24-2013, 04:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Put that in the context of how much you're going to spend on construction.

yes like i said I will get over it...
post #48 of 48 Old 10-17-2013, 04:22 PM

any progress?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Panasonic Pt Ar100u Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version