should I go 3.1, 5.1 or 7.1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm now planning out my dedicated home theater. As with many spaces here, I'm trying to maximize what I have, not do a megabuild project. My current speaker lineup are JBL ES20 for the front right and left, JBL ES25C center channel and JBL ES 250 subwoofer. My dilemna is that my space is fairly open on both the left and right (6.5' to left wall and 15' to right wall). If I went with 5.1 I could buy speaker stands, but the right speaker would be hanging out in the middle of a walkway. Since there is no wall for in-wall speakers, that won't work. So, I'm stuck with the proposition of in-ceiling 5.1, or just live with the 3.1.

The leap to 7.1 is easy since I have a back wall that I can use speakers on stands or in wall speakers. I'm really undecided about the 5.1 as I don't have any experience with in ceiling speakers, and I've seen a fairly negative reaction to them from some members. Is the compromise worth it?

Thanks for any thoughts or advice you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 37
5.1 really adds a lot to the experience IMO, for me 7.1 not as much. Although if I was building I'd run cable to the locations you may want even if you don't end up using it.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #3 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Would in ceiling side surrounds be worthwhile, or could I suspend bookshelf speakers from the ceiling?
post #4 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by iron-marshal View Post

Would in ceiling side surrounds be worthwhile, or could I suspend bookshelf speakers from the ceiling?

That's probably as much a question of aesthetics as sound quality... Whatever route you go, I'd use the same solution for all four surround channels. Note also that in a traditional 5.1 system, the surround channels *are* in the rear. It's the side-surrounds that are added for 7.1.

In-ceiling speakers are not generally known for their sound quality - but that's because they're usually bought on the cheap. There are some very nice (and not cheap) in-ceiling speakers meant for home theater surround applications. A bookshelf speaker of similar quality will likely be cheaper, though. Also - if you place those in the ceiling, you'll definitely transmit a good amount of sound energy to the room above (assuming there is one).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #5 of 6 Old 10-05-2013, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Note also that in a traditional 5.1 system, the surround channels *are* in the rear. It's the side-surrounds that are added for 7.1.
Other way 'round:

525x525px-LL-77ef4776_vbattach190778.jpeg

Sanjay
post #6 of 6 Old 10-06-2013, 02:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Side surrounds can go 15-20 degrees in front of listeners too, if that helps your layout.

Under construction: the Larch theater
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Jbl Es20bk 5 25 Inch 3 Way Bookshelf Speaker Pair Black , Jbl Es25cbk 3 Way Dual 5 1 4 Center Channel Speaker Black , Jbl Es250pbk 12 Inch Subwoofer Black
Gear in this thread - Es250pbk by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page