can this fiberglass be used for back screen wall?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
my wife works for an hvac company and was able to get me this. (see pic). i sent her the pic ive seen numerous times on this forum of linacoustic with reinforced coating system. im guessing the "coating system" part is important. this one doesnt seem to have that. should i try again and get the proper one? or can this be used? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

here is pic of what i got
post #3 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 07:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 531
the purpose of the coating is to inhibit loose fibers from being eroded by passing air flow in HVAC ducts and becoming airborne. Behind the screen there really isn't an airflow to be concerned about. If it is a bright color you may want to cover with a dark fabric and that would also serve as a coating if you are concerned.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
That's the same product I used in my theater. I thought I was getting Linacoustic, but this is all they had when I went to pick it up. After reading up on the two products, they seem almost identical. Ductliner PM has a glass mat facing on one side, so you don't need to worry about loose fibers. It is, after all, a product intended to live inside hvac ducts, so loose fibers have been addressed. Here is the data sheet for Ductliner PM.

You'll probably want to double it up to get a total of 2" on the front wall. I also used it inside the fabric panels on the side walls.

FYI-It did stink after pulling the roll out of the bag, so I cut it outside and let the pieces "breathe" for a few hours before bringing them inside.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

hmm i contacted johns manville themselves and was told the lincoustic RC has a coating of resin on the body while the ductliner PM has it only on the side. for the use it was intended for (ducts) they both perform the same. although here on AVS forum we all know we dont use it for what its "intended" for. wink.gif

with that said, im guessing the linacoustic's resin coating makes it easier to work with?

im going to try and get the linacoustic, if i cant, then i guess i'll work carfully withthis stuff. Thanks all
post #6 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

So i told the wifey this stuff should work fine but she wants to get me the exact linacoustic RC i originally asked for.
i tried telling her she doesnt have to but she was determined. she said I've never asked anything from her and her job in the 15 years she's worked with HVAC so she wants to make it "perfect for me".

thats love right there smile.gif
post #7 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

If your wife can get Linacoustic for the same price, I guess it couldn't hurt, but I wouldn't pay a premium for it.

Here is a sample of Linacoustic

and a roll of Ductliner PM

Both have a protective coating on one side, which would be the exposed side in your room. In this pic, I'm holding the sample of Linacoustic above the roll of Ductliner PM.

The "unprotected" side is also very similar. Again, the Linacoustic sample is on top, Ductliner PM is on the bottom.

For theater purposes, I don't see a difference.
post #8 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

thanks spaceman if she cant get the linacoustic i'll use the liner PM. actually im pretty sure they wont take back the Liner PM so i may end up with both! hmm tempting to make side walls fabric panels now smile.gif. for your screen wall did you screw your ductliner on the wall itself or did you screw em on horizontal strips? didnt see any strips on your build.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo View Post

for your screen wall did you screw your ductliner on the wall itself or did you screw em on horizontal strips? didnt see any strips on your build.

Screwed directly to the wall.

With a 100' roll, you will have quite a bit left over. I put 2 layers on my front wall and did 3/4 of each side wall and still have about 30' left of the roll. I see fabric panels in your future. smile.gif
linkseo likes this.
post #10 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 72
As a side note the absorption coefficients are "nearly " identical between the 2 products with the linacoustic attenuating slightly more in the lower frequencies.

Linacoustic RC
125 250 500 1000 2000 4000 NRC
0.14 0.28 0.64 0.85 0.97 1.09 0.70

Ductliner PM
125 250 500 1000 2000 4000 NRC
0.08 0.31 0.64 0.84 0.97 1.03 0.70

If applying 2 layers on the front wall, a ~3 mil sheet of poly between the two will help attenuate the LF better without over absorbing your HF. I believe the poly functions somewhat like a membrane in this application.
I attached my using the plastic capped head roofing nails and spray painted the caps black..

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
post #11 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 12:38 PM

Liked: 18
Lots of good info here and this is the first I've heard about using the 3 mil plastic in between the two layers. I picked up a Roxul product called CavityRock for cheap off of CL that's used primarily for commercial applications. It's the 1.5" thickness MD variety, which I'll be doubling up and according to what I can see it seems close to their Safe'n'Sound brand. Anybody else have any experience with the "other" brands?
post #12 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

So in the process of wifey geting me some lincoustic RC, the vendor who would supply it for her asked her what it was for. When she explained to line up a wall from floor to ceiling in the basement, The vendor explained that is shouldnt be exposed. It could cancer.

I was curious so i started doing some research. and even found this JM pdf regarding Linacoustic.

Page 2 had me a tad concerned when i read
"When subjected to high heat and humidity, this product may release formaldehyde gas. Formaldehyde is irritating to the eyes
and respiratory system and may cause cancer (based on animal studies)." LINACOUSTIC RC MSDS.pdf 157k .pdf file

Now i know we have all types of fiberglass in our household like insulation in walls and ceilings and what not but these are covered by sheetrock most of the time. But im concerned that the Linacoustic when used to cover screen walls is usually just exposed and open. Only covered by a false wall and AT screen.

Then again isnt this stuff used to line the INSIDE of ducts which would get hot and even humid inside? That would make no sense no?

I'm so confused now. Anyone care to shed any light on this?
Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LINACOUSTIC RC MSDS.pdf (156.7 KB, 1 views)
post #13 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It does contain formaldehyde so there is a risk. To minimize your exposure, you could go with a roll of Knauf Sonic XP, which is similar to Linacoustic but doesn't contain formaldehyde. If I was doing my room again, I would probably try to find a roll of the Knauf stuff.
post #14 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

LOL. I found another document regarding Knauf Sonic XP

"Warning. This product contains the following substance known to the state to cause cancer: Glasswool, airborne particles of respirable size"

Im guessing everything has some sort of risk.

think i can cover the Linacoustic or Ductliner with plastic garbage bags once they are up on the wall or would that defeat the purpose?
post #15 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 313
just a random 'driveby', but if you want something a bit 'greener' have you considered something like these http://www.bondedlogic.com/acoustical-products/ultraliner-sound-blanket?

pretty sure these are risk free (excepting maybe wierd allergies).
post #16 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

just a random 'driveby', but if you want something a bit 'greener' have you considered something like these http://www.bondedlogic.com/acoustical-products/ultraliner-sound-blanket?

pretty sure these are risk free (excepting maybe wierd allergies).
Interesting. thanks for the link. Even suggested for use with "home theaters"
post #17 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 313
Hey no problem. I'm having some of their regular insulaition installed in my walls in a few weeks for both the noise and the thermal factor.. Just so you know, they seem to have quite a few different products and each has their own accoustical spec sheets.
post #18 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Of course, you could get hit by a bus while driving to pick up your duct liner of choice, so I guess it all depends on how close to the edge you want to live. But I can understand wanting to keep the family as safe as possible. Formaldehyde gas would be hard to contain, so if that is a concern, you probably want to consider a product like Knauf. Covering the treatments in plastic in order to reduce off gassing would change the acoustic properties.

The Knauf is coated on the side that would face your room, so I don't think you would be dealing with many airborne fibers, but if that kept you up at night, you could always cover the front wall treatments with an acoustically transparent fabric.

A product like the one mo949 linked to might be your best bet if you have air quality concerns.
post #19 of 19 Old 08-08-2013, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

Of course, you could get hit by a bus while driving to pick up your duct liner of choice, so I guess it all depends on how close to the edge you want to live. .

I was thinking the same thing. this and being able to get cancer from using your phone or the microwave wink.gif. I'll most likely stick with the Linacoustic/Liner PM.

Afterall:
  • it IS used to line ducts.
  • It most likely wont ever be exposed to extreme heat and humidity since my basement HT has AC and is normally cool all year round anyway
  • Wont technically be exposed since it'll be covered by by a false wall which will be covered i fabric.
  • Its free from my wife wink.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page