New Construction build in Kansas - My first dedicated theater! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Sorry I did not see your thread until now. It is probably too late but if you would like to see some theaters in the KC area I know of 3-4 folks who would most likely show you around. I am in the process of finishing mine hopefully in the next month or so. You are welcome to check it out as well.

It looks like you made some great choices already. Closing off the room since the cost isn't really much more. Deciding against soundproofing was the right call since you won't be in the house for the rest of your life. It gets expensive and affects everything you do so best to leave it out and wait till you get your forever house. I am plus minus on the stage in your situation. One of the reasons for a stage would be to act as a dampening layer if filled with sand and decoupled from the walls. But, since you are not doing soundproofing there is not much of a point. Another reason would be to raise the level of the speakers to get the tweeter height to reach the second row unimpeded. Did you decide on a second row? If no second row on a riser then there is no point again. Bean bags on the floor is a great option. I plan to do that for the kids when we have more people than seats. Of course aesthetics are another reason but I would weigh that against the cost and see if it is worth it to you.

I would guess that linacoustic on the front wall is a good idea but acoustics is a complicated subject and all rooms cannot be treated the same. You could cover the front wall with fabric frames to hide the insulation. If you were going to go to the trouble of doing that then you might as well make some more fabric frames for the rest of the room so you can add treatments to the first reflection points and a few other key areas.

Lot's of tough decisions to make. Personally, I tend to scrutinize everything way too much and take way too long doing it. Then in the end I still end up with a compromise (because everything is) and an imperfect solution. So I think you should just get it done as soon as you can and get to watching movies and having fun. I probably say that because I am currently very frustrated with the length of my build but there ya go.

Thanks for the encouraging words! You pretty much hit the nail on the head with my goals and decisions toward soundproofing. I do plan on building a stage, as it will help raise the tweeters of my mains to ear level, and also because I think it will really set the space off and give it that wow factor. I also am 90% sure I'm going to build a riser, although it will be limited in size due to my room only being 19' long. Once the paint is done I'm going to start construction on these.

As for the front wall, I like your idea about the fabric frames. I think what Ill do is hang the screen up, and then measure and build the fabric-wrapped frames to fill in the voids on the top / bottom and sides. I will add linacoustic or similar inside of these frames. I also do plan on hanging 4 or 5 DIY acoustic panels around the room to take care of reflection points and for aesthetics. My walls are going to be a deep red, so I think some black acoustic panels hanging will help break up the red and give it a nice effect.

I hear you on the tough decisions... it's been insane but I'm glad to finally be in the home stretch. In addition to the theater, I've been working on finishing the rest of the 1200sq ft basement. We got a 2nd coat of paint on everything this weekend and I'm planning on ordering the doors and trim this week.

As for the black paint, I went to Home Depot and they were unable to find Mouse Ears in the system, so he just mixed the blackest paint he could make which has 12oz of black pigment. I have the front wall and part of the ceiling painted so far. It's looking great, but I need to go finish it so off I go! I'll update soon with pictures.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
My room is also 19' and I have a false wall taking up about 2'8". I am still squeezing in a short 5'8" riser. It is not really enough to have big recliners back there and get the heads away from the back row but I am ok with that. My front row will be 9'5" from screen just to give you an idea of how the room is divided up. Screen is 9' wide 2.35

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Major update! I've been busy getting things completed. We've had some major roadblocks in the basement project....most recently 3 of the doors I ordered were made incorrectly. Instead of being short, 79" height, they were standard 82" height... needless to say I wasn't too happy when I went to install them. The place I ordered from is making it right, buying new doors and having them re-stained for me. Hopefully in a week I'll have the doors, which will include the 6-panel theater room door. I also had to tear some drywall out of the theater after it was discovered some of the electrical outlets didn't work and there was a wiring error made. It was very painful cutting out drywall from my freshly painted room, but luckily it was all patched up and looks good now. I touched up the paint today and you can't tell there were repairs made.

Things I have left to do:
  • finish the stage
  • install the door and trim
  • install the carpet
  • build acoustic panels
  • buy / install crown molding and LED light strips

I ordered the carpet, it's a black medium-pile that we found at Nebraska Furniture Mart for $1.85 a sq foot... I think it's really going to look great. Here's a shot of it:

IMG_0051.jpg

Hopefully in 3 weeks this project will be 100% done. Projector is purchased and I'm going to order a subwoofer once I see if anything goes on sale for Black Friday. I'm currently leaning towards the Outlaw LFM-1 EX.

Here's the stage that we built 2 weekends ago. I'm going to fill it with insulation and put 2 layers of plywood on top. My carpet installer says it won't be a problem to wrap everything nicely.

Today I unboxed my Jamestown 135" (custom order 2.39:1 aspect ratio) screen and put it together in the upstairs living room. The frame went together in about 10 minutes, very nice product for the money. Installing the canvas took quite a bit longer, probably close to an hour to get it installed and stretched out. I still need to go back and finish stretching it, as there are some ripples remaining that need to be removed.

Here's what comes in the box:

Frame all screwed together:

Screen material installed, ready to be stretched:

And here's what it looks like next to my 52" LCD in the living room. It's massive!

And low and behold, I mounted the screen using the supplied hardware, and it looks fantastic.

Here's my equipment rack that I got set up today. I still have more equipment to add, and will be installing trim around the face. I'm very pleased with how this turned out, and I can't wait to get it finished:

a1718af3-4d56-404c-8200-0bcbde8b0415.jpg

And a couple images of the rear section of the room. The paint is a dark red... My camera was having trouble getting the white balance correct... it doesn't look orange-red at all in person. In-wall Polk RC85i speakers installed, wall sconces installed. I also decided against a riser setup as it would put the front row too close to the 135" screen. For now I'm going to use this 4 seat approach, and later down the road if I decide I want a tiered seating setup, I will pull the screen down and cut it down to make it smaller. The nice thing about the Jamestown screen is it looks pretty simple to make it smaller if I need to in the future.

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0043-2.jpg

IMG_0044-1.jpg
post #34 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitel View Post

I ordered the carpet, it's a black medium-pile that we found at Nebraska Furniture Mart for $1.85 a sq foot... I think it's really going to look great. Here's a shot of it:

I approve your choice of carpet! And yes, it will look great... smile.gif (Is that the Pecan Pie or Dark Chestnut?)
Quote:
The nice thing about the Jamestown screen is it looks pretty simple to make it smaller if I need to in the future.

We're going to give you just one warning about using kind of language - that is not welcomed around here... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Congrats on getting close to the finish line!

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #35 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

I approve your choice of carpet! And yes, it will look great... smile.gif (Is that the Pecan Pie or Dark Chestnut?)
We're going to give you just one warning about using kind of language - that is not welcomed around here... biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Congrats on getting close to the finish line!

Jeff

The carpet is Tuftex What a Life, made by Shaw floors. Color is meteorite.

Haha, yeah I know I shouldn't talk about smaller screens. The only reason is because I'm worried I may not get the brightness I'm after in 3D with such a large screen and using the zoom method. The Panasonic 8000u I ordered should be fine, but I'm also going to buy a JVC RS4810 B-stock to determine which projector I want to keep. If I have trouble with inadequate brightness I may choose to go down to 125" or so. That would also allow me to do a riser setup as the front row could sit closer.

We shall see...
post #36 of 38 Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedigitel View Post

The carpet is Tuftex What a Life, made by Shaw floors. Color is meteorite.

Shaw must rename them when they move the styles out to different sales channels... When I bought it three years ago, it was called "Park Place"...
Quote:
Haha, yeah I know I shouldn't talk about smaller screens. The only reason is because I'm worried I may not get the brightness I'm after in 3D with such a large screen and using the zoom method.

That's really getting into the round-off, IMHO (how many 'real' 3D releases are there in 2.35?)
Quote:
The Panasonic 8000u I ordered should be fine, but I'm also going to buy a JVC RS4810 B-stock to determine which projector I want to keep. If I have trouble with inadequate brightness I may choose to go down to 125" or so.

That seems like an expensive / hassle way to figure this out... eek.gif

-- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos:

post #37 of 38 Old 11-25-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Shaw must rename them when they move the styles out to different sales channels... When I bought it three years ago, it was called "Park Place"...
That's really getting into the round-off, IMHO (how many 'real' 3D releases are there in 2.35?)
That seems like an expensive / hassle way to figure this out... eek.gif

The carpet is nice... looks like we both have good taste smile.gif

Yeah... I have had a hard time deciding which projector to buy.. I want to maximize the performance / dollar. Seems like the JVC is the obvious choice for 2D, but I really want to watch quite a bit of 3D as well which is why I grabbed the Panasonic to start with. As far as 3D movies go, most of the new titles I look up are in 2.39 ratio. But the few that are in 1.78 (some of the best, Avatar, Pacific Rim, etc) I will be able to enjoy with more brightness. I've thought about building some velvet panels to effectively block out a smaller 120-125" 1:39:1 image within my 135" screen for those 2.39 movies that will need more brightness. I plan to make panels for the sides of the 1.78 movies anyways, so it wouldn't be too much extra work. I'm thinking foam board and velvet construction to keep them lightweight and easy to install on the screen.

Another option I'm keeping open is moving to an AT screen in the future. I will be able to do so by moving the stage out a foot (I'm building it to be removable), building a screen wall and attaching Seymour XD fabric to my Jamestown frame. Hopefully this initial setup will keep me happy for a while though... I'm tired of all the work and ready to relax and watch some movies!

On another note, can someone recommend a good 3D bluray player? I hope to purchase an Oppo at some point, but right now I've extended my budget to the max with everything else. Is there anything in the middle ground, between the Oppo and the big-box cheapies?
post #38 of 38 Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Subwoofer has been purchased! Outlaw has their LFM-1 EX on sale for $599 with free shipping until 12/3. Projector is going in this evening and I will start getting things set up.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page