The "DEDICATED Theater" theater build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-10-2013, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey all. My post count does not reflect the time I spend on this site. I am just one of those creepers watching from afar taking ideas, theories, and mistakes into consideration as I dream up what I want my theater to look like. Now that we have been in our house for near 2 years, I am finally to the point where I think I'm ready to tackle this beast. We have a 5 level split with a current "theater" area which is basically just the lower level living room that I have taken over for the time being. It oohs and awes everyone that comes over, but it is very boring and plain to me after seeing the work done here. Its amazing what a LED back-lit screen and a second row of seating on a riser can do to amateurs, considering it is an open space to the rest of the house with 0 acoustical treatments, just painted sheetrock walls. See pictures below of current space.

Screen wall

Current av rack

View from screen wall towards seating

From front corner of screen wall towards open are to rest of the house. Notice stairs on right side going down to future dedicated space.

Please ignore the laundry and messy cords. You should have seen the mess of cords and equipment three weeks ago before I built that av rack.
Current equipment that will transition down stairs:
Marantz sr5007
Panasonic blu-ray
Xbox 360
Directv client box
Epson 3010 3d projector
125" DIY BO cloth screen with felt trim, 2.35:1 with manual masking for 16:9
Panasonic 50" 3d plasma (will not be in future theater)
Polk Monitor 70 x2 for front
Polk Monitor 40 x4 surrounds
Polk Monitor CS2 center
HSU VTF-15h sub (I know, a little out of the league of everything else I have biggrin.gif)

The space that I have downstairs is 14'6"x19'x8'3" before any finishing. Not as long as I would like, but it's what I have to work with. There are a couple of immovable objects (mostly due to budget) that make the floorplan a bit difficult. There is a post holding up LVL beams that will be located on the side of the theater. Post is annoying, but I should be able to incorporate the LVL beams into a soffit. One of the end walls has a support for a staircase above that I believe to be unmovable, which is really making my layout decision difficult.

The biggest questions that I have is regarding soundproofing. I don't have a $ amount set, but we are talking about a low budget. The biggest reason for doing this is to have a room that I can still watch movies while the wife sleeps upstairs, and future children. What would the priority list be in terms of soundproofing options and requirements. I am already thinking of going clips and channel with either DD+GG or OSB/D+GG depending on what the total costs end up being. I would like to have a soffit inside to house lighting, maybe columns for surround speakers and outlets within the room if the dimensions allow it. I don't want to need putty pads and all those extras, but I always don't want to put money into clips DD+GG and cut corners to negate it. What would you guys recommend in terms of soundproofing on a tight budget? Thanks a lot for any and all input. This may be a cheap build compared to most on here, but I can only do what I can afford. I realize this started out as a wall of text, but I am excited to hopefully get starting on this very soon!.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Tags
Marantz Sr5007 Home Theater Av Receiver , Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 3010 2d And 3d Projector V11h421020 , Polk Audio Monitor Series Cs2 Center Channel Speaker Single Black
Gear in this thread - V11h421020 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page