"The Great Basement Flood" Could it Happen to you? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2013, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
One thing that I haven't seen anywhere in forums discussed much is when that old water heater decides to kick the bucket and flood your basement.....

Where is your Hot Water Heater in relation to your carpet in HT and most importantly your audio equipment. This is pretty inevitable for all basements at some point in time. Would like to hear some opinions since I'm in beginning of my theatre build and everytime I am down in my basement I look at the Hot Water heater and say "damn there is a lot of water in there"

Check out my first Garage Home Theater Build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showth...rrerid=8495664
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
When our hot water tank broke and flooded the basement, we replaced it with a tankless water heater.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 08-15-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post

When our hot water tank broke and flooded the basement, we replaced it with a tankless water heater.

How does the tankless water heater work for you? How many people are in your family.

Check out my first Garage Home Theater Build

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/showth...rrerid=8495664
Old 08-15-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have not had the water heater go bad on me, HOWEVER....

I replaced it before starting work. At the time, it was in the 10 year old range and I KNEW that as sson as I got the finish floor down is when it would go.

To answer your question, my water heater is right next to the equipement and the mechanical room opens into the finsihed space.

I also installed a Dricore subfloor. I was/am hoping that in the event the water heater goes, the water will run UNDER the floor to the nearest drain. Also, during one of my inspections I was told that to pass final, the pipe from the overflow pressure valve has to be exteded TO the drain. Which is only about 2' away.

Now, floods from hurricanes are a COMPLETELTY different story, and I've had TWO of those due to sump pump failures. Both times I didn't have carpet or laminate down yet. Now that the finish floor is down, I watch it like a hawk, and we've had a LOT of rain this year.

Tom Logan
Everytime I reply the thread ends
Need motivation? Get LOGANED
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1014847

An as-yet un-named theater designed by Big-WarrenP-BritInVA
Old 08-15-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 165
My home theatre is in the basement. On Christmas Eve a couple of years ago my wife and I headed to the basement to get the kid's presents and there was an inch of water. My septic tank was backing up much to my absolute horror! Thank goodness my ht room floats half a foot above the rest of the basement floor on that inch of water would have wreaked havoc. I really hope that, or the water heater, doesn't explode and do something like that again.

Psn: memnoch1010
Xbox live: meadoch
Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Different capacities available for tankless. If you have concerns, oversize it.

My 3 kids are small, so we rarely run more than 1 shower at once, so I honestly don't know if I'll have a problem in the future. But so far, no problems at all with hot water availability.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Old 08-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTotalPackage View Post

One thing that I haven't seen anywhere in forums discussed much is when that old water heater decides to kick the bucket and flood your basement.....

Where is your Hot Water Heater in relation to your carpet in HT and most importantly your audio equipment. This is pretty inevitable for all basements at some point in time. Would like to hear some opinions since I'm in beginning of my theatre build and everytime I am down in my basement I look at the Hot Water heater and say "damn there is a lot of water in there"

We have a large drain in the basement right next to the water heater. The slab slopes down to the drain. If all of the water in my water heater dumped at once, it would cause some issues. It would probably make it into the area where the theater carpet is. However there are 2x4"s on the ground that are sealed to the concrete so the water would have to get at least 1.5" high before it could seep into that room.

My electronic equipment is a minimum of 14" off the ground, so if there is 14" of water in my basement, I'm going to have some real problems. However my receiver is going to be about 3' from the water heater.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Drain Pans are cheap insurance if you can route to your sump pit or other drain.

http://www.americanhvacparts.com/p-21630-water-heater-pvc-overflow-drain-pan-30.aspx

if you need additional slope to drain further you can get elevated platforms with an integrated pan.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Watts-0070020-DPS-20-Drip-Pan-Round-Water-Heater-Stand-for-Water-Heaters-up-to-52-Gallons

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 76
99.9999% of people also do not maintain their water heaters . if you drain and flush your water heaters a couple of times a year to remove the salts and minerals that build up you will reduce the chances of a tank failure dramatically.. I ve seen water heaters last 30+ years when maintained.

My Basement HT Construction ~ Faster than the speed of Dark

"I've cut that piece 3 times and its still too short..."
Old 08-15-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Rinnai Tankless water heater for us. It takes a while to get the hot water up to the second floor when you first turn it on, but once the flow makes it up there you can keep it going forever. Costs more in the short term but you make it up by not having to keep 50 gallons (or more) of water heated 24 hours a day.

My perpetual home theater build - Omaha Theater #5