False Wall Allowance? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 42 Old 08-21-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Just a thought, but you can cut that Linacoustic out that's behind your subs. If the sub is right against the wall, that linacoustic isn't doing anything. Of course, you should probably put the linacoustic on the face of your sub, but that's another thread smile.gif

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 08-22-2013, 03:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
general rule of thumb 1.5-2.5 spaces of the largest speaker you install in the false wall.. otherwise to much reflection happens
post #33 of 42 Old 08-22-2013, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Like Mr. Tim and Cerdic, I'm planning for a minimal false wall area (18"-20"). I understand that it comes with limitations, but I'm accepting those compromises from the beginning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 42 Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I foregone the false wall in my room too because of the limitation of the room's length. 15'x20'. However, lately, I and my wife, both saying we wish we did it, to hide the speakers and have better aesthetic appearance. I've been thinking about it a lot lately, and decided IF I would do it again, I would properly do a 20" false wall. Most decent HT speakers that I would like to upgrade to are about 12" deep (Triad Gold LCR, JTR, Seaton, etc.), and I'll properly also change the subs to something that would fit within 20" space too like a SVS PC13-Ultra (16"), Seaton Submersive (17"), or the JTR S2 (17"). So I guess 20" should be "OK" for a minimum depth false wall even if you want to use some decent speakers/subs.

Well, I don't have any funding for this "new upgrade" anytime soon, but I guess one could always dream..... rolleyes.gif

~ Gary

)

post #35 of 42 Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 92
It really depends. If you are buying speakers/subs...then you might need more depth. If you are DIY'ing it (especially the subs), you have a ton more options. Going with boxed inwalls even surface mounted will deal with some of the baffle issues (even though not ideally). My false wall be will 18" and it is more than enough.

I must be guilty because people say I am guilty because they chose to call me guilty because they refuse to see the truth. Much easier to be part of the mob..
post #36 of 42 Old 08-22-2013, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can you or anyone expand their thoughts some more relevant to your options with DIY speakers and subs like stated above.
post #37 of 42 Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrush View Post

Can you or anyone expand their thoughts some more relevant to your options with DIY speakers and subs like stated above.

What exactly are you asking? For a speaker recommendation ? Or just a size ?

30" is probably good for a false wall- and you should be able to get some speakers in that space.

For DIY I would check out:

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/

You can PM Erich here on AVS for specific help

Some also like doing JBL drivers with Pi :
http://www.pispeakers.com/contents.html

7.2 ? 9.2? 11.4 ? What you want to run? How how many speakers and how many subs?

http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/fusion-series-kits.html
or
http://www.diysoundgroup.com/waveguide-speaker-kits/karma-series-kits.html

Both good options.

I would do 8" for surrounds and 12" for the LCR- and build 2 F20's for subs.

You can do really well with DIY for $2500

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #38 of 42 Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Erm, 8"? Procella speakers and subs give you tremendous performance in shallow depth. In a small room you don't want to lose 3' to a false wall (though have designed and built those types of walls)! I wrote a blog article about THX baffle walls which is relevant.

. We specialize in the design and creation of high performance listening rooms, home theaters and project studios for discerning audio/video enthusiasts.
post #39 of 42 Old 08-24-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
30" is a solid depth choice. You want the speakers 6" off the back side of an AT screen to avoid timbre shifting. The effect is gone at 6" with woven screens.

You do NOT want subwoofer drivers or ports, blowing on the screen itself.

That all said, shallow is an option with custom subwoofer cabinetry.
post #40 of 42 Old 08-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Is that true with all woven screens? I had asked Chris about the EN 4K and he said a couple inches is fine.
post #41 of 42 Old 08-24-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 64
That was from a 2010 HT cruise AT screen seminar that was an offshoot of a huge 2 issue Widescreen Review article that Tony Grimani did.

A couple of inches might very well be fine sounding, but if you have a sample of fabric and hold it in front of a speaker while running full range pink noise,
you will have your answer. So maybe three speakers all behind an AT screen gives you some timbre shifting, but you get a consistant sound stage which might qualify as "fine".
Maybe not so fine, if the center channel is the sole speaker behind the AT screen and sound pans change timbre.

If the room depth is an issue, then Nylor's suggestion is the better solution. It might not be a great DIY'er solution as there's so little information on properly building a baffle wall.
post #42 of 42 Old 08-24-2013, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

That was from a 2010 HT cruise AT screen seminar that was an offshoot of a huge 2 issue Widescreen Review article that Tony Grimani did.

A couple of inches might very well be fine sounding, but if you have a sample of fabric and hold it in front of a speaker while running full range pink noise,
you will have your answer. So maybe three speakers all behind an AT screen gives you some timbre shifting, but you get a consistant sound stage which might qualify as "fine".
Maybe not so fine, if the center channel is the sole speaker behind the AT screen and sound pans change timbre.

If the room depth is an issue, then Nylor's suggestion is the better solution. It might not be a great DIY'er solution as there's so little information on properly building a baffle wall.

Thanks for the insight
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page