Mini Penn Cinema HT Build 1.0 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Or find yourself a local used Middle Atlantic Slim5 rack....

Drywall J channel could be used for a clean drywall edge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

You can buy the rails separately. That's what I did in my build. I don't have a link handy, but I'm sure google will get u there.

Awesome house thread has lots of handy information! Theater looks like it will be incredible thanks for the info i am looking at monoprice for some rack spacers now and middle atlantic for the rails. i am curious to placement would you guys recommend framing the 2x4's out and then placing the rails flush with the front of the 2x4's?

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

ok i looked into the slim5 and MA is selling them the 5-29 for $464.12 which isn't bad but a tad bit more than i would like to spend. i am waiting for pricing on just the rails alone to see how that compares and if its worth it to do the rails or better to go with the slim5. Does anyone on the list offer better pricing on the slim5 racks or know where to get them at a better price point? i wouldn't mind going with that solution as it does sound easier and would probably hold up nicer.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #34 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
If you are near a major city, you can find server racks pretty cheaply on Craigslist if you're patient.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #35 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

i have some searches setup on ebay and craigslist to see if anything pops up over the next couple of days hoping to get this completed within the next week or so...

i checked on pricing for just rails via MA and that comes out to basically $272 which isn't a huge price savings IMO i think i can find a competitive deal on a Slim5 that would shift me to purchase that instead so holding out and hoping for the moment.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #36 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 257
Pretty sure I only paid $70 for my rails. If I had it to do over again if prolly get the monoprice relay rack or just wait for a server rack on Craigslist.

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

post #37 of 60 Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

Another question for the night... smile.gif I have a few drain pipes for bathroom plumbing from the above bathroom in my basement ceiling. These pipes are very noisy when a toilet is flushed above what is the best way to sound proof these pipes? i researched on line and saw some Quiet Wrap products just curious if anyone has experience with any products that actually work before i experiment.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #38 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 05:27 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Pipe wrap products take the edge off the noise. Then surround with pink fluffy then build your double 5/8 DW with GG ceiling on clips and channels making sure no contact is made ceiling to pipe. It wouldn't hurt to replace rigid pipe supports with something less rigid.

The best performing pipe wrap I've used is Dynamat Extereme also the most expensive. Here is BZbase tackling a really loud main drain that actually cut into his theater space.

PROJECTS:

post #39 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Pipe wrap products take the edge off the noise. Then surround with pink fluffy then build your double 5/8 DW with GG ceiling on clips and channels making sure no contact is made ceiling to pipe. It wouldn't hurt to replace rigid pipe supports with something less rigid.

The best performing pipe wrap I've used is Dynamat Extereme also the most expensive. Here is BZbase tackling a really loud main drain that actually cut into his theater space.

Thanks for the info Big these are the two products i am looking at now i have about 25' of 4" drain pipe directly above the LP which will already is annoying from the mock seating tests i have been doing down there so i am glad i caught this before i sealed the drywall up. I have a friend that can most likely get the Dynamat at discount i have never heard of the Quiet Wrap.

http://www.soundproofcow.com/Quiet-Wrap-Pipe-Soundproofing-Wrap.html

http://www.volutone.com/DYNAMAT-50400-XTREME-UTILITY-MATS-PAK-24PCS-66SQFT-P8897.aspx

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #40 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinton View Post

Does anyone have recommendations for building your own custom rack? looking to build an in wall rack for my equipment. back of rack will be in a utility room with proper ventilation and access i will be simply cutting a hole in the wall framing it out with 2x4's and placing trim on the front for a built-in look. areas that i am not positive on yet are the rails and adjustable shelving. looking for some good ideas or gotchas going down this route basically looking to save money but get a nice functional result at the end.

Ended up going with the Middle Atlantic Slim 5-29 instead to save myself some time and ensure i have a sound housing for my toys... smile.gif

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #41 of 60 Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
im curious about your stage questions also
post #42 of 60 Old 08-31-2013, 06:01 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks for the info Big these are the two products i am looking at now i have about 25' of 4" drain pipe directly above the LP which will already is annoying from the mock seating tests i have been doing down there so i am glad i caught this before i sealed the drywall up. I have a friend that can most likely get the Dynamat at discount i have never heard of the Quiet Wrap.

http://www.soundproofcow.com/Quiet-Wrap-Pipe-Soundproofing-Wrap.html

http://www.volutone.com/DYNAMAT-50400-XTREME-UTILITY-MATS-PAK-24PCS-66SQFT-P8897.aspx

I was very concerned about drain pipe noise as well since my kitchen directly overlies my theater.  From what I was reading, people were recommending extreme measures such as changing the plastic pipe with iron pipe.  Way too much for me.  I thought about these specialty pipe wrap products as well, but they are really expensive.  Not to mention not easy to install, especially with pipes that run perpendicularly through the joists.  I thought I'd try using some Linacoustic wrapped around the pipe, but that was way too labor intensive as well.  In the end, I completely circumferentially surround the pipes with pink fluffy stuff and then packed the joist spaces with more pink fluffy stuff and crossed my fingers. This alone was very effective in quelling the water drainage noise.  Once the ceiling on Whisperclips went up that noise is all but imperceptible.  Frankly, I was a bit surprised how well that worked for how easy it was to do.  It did require a fair bit of insulation, though, but at $10/32 ft. roll of R13, at least it wasn't that expensive!  Took care of all 3 sinks, 2 garbage disposals, and 2 dishwashers!

- Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #43 of 60 Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 PM

Liked: 22
Quote:

ok to get back on track i am getting my projector tomorrow morning so i can make more educated decisions around the screen, seating and surround placement. As far as the sand for the stage i have no problem doing that and it makes sense now that i think about it i was just being lazy i think before... smile.gif i do have some confusion around the stage left when it comes to Bigs comment above that the stage should not be touching the walls. after reviewing a lot of threads they all appear to be touching the walls... can someone explain further for me as to how this should be setup? i am guessing that the stage should not be touching the walls so the vibrations don't rattle through the rest of the house. if that is the case is there a recommended distance away from the walls or simply just get it close enough without it touching? also does the top layer of OSB touch the walls for a tight seal or does it need to be kept away as well? i am guessing that the finishing touches to make it look nice come from the carpet installation?

Appreciate the responses hopefully will get the stage taken care of this weekend so i can move onto the next steps... smile.gif

Didnt see a response to your question and i was also curious so i found this online:
"Don't attach the stage to your walls

As heavy as your home theater stage will be, it's still going to vibrate a little bit. Prevent those vibrations from traveling to your walls by keeping the stage at least 1/4" from any walls. This will isolate it from the surrounding structure."

From here: http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/home-theater-stage.html
M.T.Nest likes this.
post #44 of 60 Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkseo View Post

Didnt see a response to your question and i was also curious so i found this online:
"Don't attach the stage to your walls

As heavy as your home theater stage will be, it's still going to vibrate a little bit. Prevent those vibrations from traveling to your walls by keeping the stage at least 1/4" from any walls. This will isolate it from the surrounding structure."

From here: http://www.diy-home-theater-design.com/home-theater-stage.html

Thanks a lot linkseo great information I am sure others will appreciate the find as well.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #45 of 60 Old 09-08-2013, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update I have my Triad Gold LCR's ordered and was able to frame out my riser today as well as wire up the front sound stage and put together my Slim 5... Also ordered a row of 3 Fusion Jive Seats with Buttkicker's from Roman at Ultimate Home Theater! Wow that was great service. Placed the order Friday and had the seats today Sunday and man do they look and feel nice! smile.gif Plan on getting the wiring to the riser completed and the top attached next weekend as well as wiring the surrounds... Making some great progress so far and Super EXCITED to see the final results!

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #46 of 60 Old 09-08-2013, 06:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:

Just a quick update I have my Triad Gold LCR's ordered and was able to frame out my riser today as well as wire up the front sound stage and put together my Slim 5... Also ordered a row of 3 Fusion Jive Seats with Buttkicker's from Roman at Ultimate Home Theater! Wow that was great service. Placed the order Friday and had the seats today Sunday and man do they look and feel nice! smile.gif Plan on getting the wiring to the riser completed and the top attached next weekend as well as wiring the surrounds... Making some great progress so far and Super EXCITED to see the final results!
Good stuff Brandon! Did you make a final decision about the screen size and AR yet?

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #47 of 60 Old 09-09-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Good stuff Brandon! Did you make a final decision about the screen size and AR yet?

Craig

Confirmed on the 100" screen just waiting for pricing info... frown.gif What is AR not up to speed on all the acronyms yet! smile.gif

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #48 of 60 Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

AR = Aspect Ratio. 16; 9, 2.35:1, etc.

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

post #49 of 60 Old 09-09-2013, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

AR = Aspect Ratio. 16; 9, 2.35:1, etc.

Doh... so so simple! I decided to go 16:9 AR just because I believe it will be easier for multi AR movies, TV etc... I personally like the scope screen more but since my wife might be watching when I am not around I prefer to start my first screen with a more multi purpose AR so that my wife can ease into it and if I feel as though I prefer watching more Scope content maybe I will trade in down the road.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #50 of 60 Old 09-10-2013, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quick question does anyone have a good recommendation for a receptacle or floor plate that is good to use on a riser? I have Power Reclining seats with Buttkickers so I need power and Speaker terminals on the floor of the riser looking for the best suggestions.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #51 of 60 Old 09-16-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Woohoo... just got my tracking #'s for my Triad Gold LCR's and they will be here tomorrow!!! smile.gif

Additionally got my wiring completed and riser finished in my basement this past weekend as well as the Rack mounted in the wall and a bunch of loose ends wrapped up. Hopefully will have drywall this week and with luck will start painting by next week. Decided to make a complete set and ordered the Triad Gold Surrounds as well.

Cant wait for Craig to come over and dial this whole thing in within a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #52 of 60 Old 09-16-2013, 02:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Woohoo... just got my tracking #'s for my Triad Gold LCR's and they will be here tomorrow!!! smile.gif
That's awesome Brandon. Did you order sub(s) yet?
Quote:

Additionally got my wiring completed and riser finished in my basement this past weekend as well as the Rack mounted in the wall and a bunch of loose ends wrapped up. Hopefully will have drywall this week and with luck will start painting by next week. Decided to make a complete set and ordered the Triad Gold Surrounds as well.
You've been working hard. smile.gif
Quote:

Cant wait for Craig to come over and dial this whole thing in within a couple of weeks.
That'll be the fun part! smile.gif

Craig

Lombardi said it:

post #53 of 60 Old 09-16-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That's awesome Brandon. Did you order sub(s) yet?
You've been working hard. smile.gif
That'll be the fun part! smile.gif

Craig

I have not yet I was waiting to see if when mark launches his website if he will have any specials or not... it looks like Thursday the website goes live so I will most likely order the Master Submersive HP+ at that time.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #54 of 60 Old 09-20-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

More progress this week... since I had the Pink Fluffy insulation already installed from the previous owners and plenty of room I decided to place Safe n Sound in my entire basement just for a little extra and man is that stuff nasty to work with! Also got all of my lighting wired and additional outlets installed throughout the basement yesterday. Today drywall goes up and with any luck will hopefully be painting by next week. smile.gif

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #55 of 60 Old 09-20-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Black Oak SubMersive HP+ Ordered cant wait to get it in Thanks A lot Mark Seaton!

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #56 of 60 Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

All Drywall is up and drywall finishing should be completed by end of today! Need to run to lowes and get trim and then the paint will follow... smile.gif D Day is just around the corner although at the rate i can devote time to it i am still a few weeks out.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #57 of 60 Old 10-30-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Its been a couple of weeks but i have made some great progress...

Drywall Complete
Electrical / Lighting Complete
Painting Complete
Trim Complete
Carpet being installed right now and should be complete by tomorrow

Just opened my Triad boxes and filled stands with sand, man they look pretty! My Seymour AV screen just was delivered via FedEx freight and might get mounted tonight... smile.gif

Still need to load the rack wire up all of the speakers and submersive and mount the PJ hopefully will have a working system by this weekend!!!! Woohoo... tongue.gif

Oh yea gotta get the chairs out as well and finish setting them up and testing out the Buttkickers!

Feels like a very long journey but i am SUPER Excited to see the final product and start enjoying it.

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

post #58 of 60 Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Congrats Brandon! The Gold Lcrs do look sweet on those custom stands.

Can't wait to see the pics of the finished room and all the gear! cool.gif

post #59 of 60 Old 11-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Looks great Brandon - keep up the good work !!!

-- Bill --
post #60 of 60 Old 11-29-2013, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Congrats Brandon! The Gold Lcrs do look sweet on those custom stands.

Can't wait to see the pics of the finished room and all the gear! cool.gif

Those are actually the Triad Stands i have more pics coming soon! BTW @bunga99 the Gold LCR's sound incredible i couldn't have asked for a better set of speakers thanks for your input!

Thanks,
Brandon Linton

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page