Handling the Cable mess - best practices? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Have connections cabling behind a TV wall that has an opening below the TV to house amp & center channel similar to below.

The cables connecting between TV, amp & center channel are all a dangling mess in the back of the lower equipment area.

You can't really see it unless you slide the amp/center out to see all the cables (HDMI, Power, Optical, etc) all at the back in there.

I was just thinking of just tying them together with velcro ties.
I've done this in the past - tying the cables together but instead of having all the cables being a separate mess, I get a bunched up clump of cable mess.

Anything I should be aware of in terms of safety or just an alternatively better solution?

home-design.jpg

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I gave up on "solving" the cable dilemma long ago. In my system, with 6 outdoor speakers, an outdoor subwoofer, 11 indoor speakers, 2 subwoofers, 7 external amplifiers, 7 components (all virtually with a dedicated ethernet cable), etc it's simply impossible to get it all beautiful (not that it ever does, anyway), and more crucially, to me anyway, pointless.

I've seen people use dozens of zip ties and others means only to think: ok, now what happens when you need to get at them, break the ties and re fasten them? Seems a bit goofy to me. BUT, I DO understand your need to have them out of sight, that's a completely different issue. I just built my new rack with that very idea in mind.

In my case I constructed the case to house my amps (which are fan cooled) on the bottom with no visibility to the rear...the front and sides are very well ventilated. That's where 90% of the cabling lies. Basically though, ditto for the second shelf. By the time you reach the third shelf there's just an HDMI and power cord going up to the Kuro so that's easily hid. All else is an abominable aesthetic nightmare behind the cabinet. Can I get to cables if need be? Sure, but I'm not going to spend hours negotiating 150 cables and tying them off as it's ALL completely invisible, in-room.

So my recommendation: much easier to simply hide a necessary evil that you do not want to see, as even the guys with the most painstakingly arranged cabling still don't have them anywhere in sight. Go figure. Use your velcro ties to get things up (and sometimes, down, lol) and out of sight if you have to.

I'm a neat/organization freak, so it's a bit odd that it doesn't bother me...but then again, I don't organize my sock drawer, either. I guess perhaps I'm more of a practical freak. tongue.gif

Good luck

James
tripleM likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Just for fun I just totaled up my cabling:

Speaker power wire: 17 runs
Subwoofer power wire: 3 runs
Component power cords: 23
2 Extension cords for outdoor components
RCA's (from PREPRO): Total: 18. 11 for mains 4 for zones 3 for subs
XLR Sub interconnects: 2
DirecTV: 3 cables
Ethernet: 1 main run + 6 dedicated lines.
HDMI: 7 runs
Optical: 2
Coax: 1
12v Triggers: 2

That's 87 and I'm sure I'm missing something, somewhere. I'd love to see what it would look like behind that 4' wide stand with the very best organization possible, lmao.

James
tripleM likes this.

post #4 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 11:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I gave up on "solving" the cable dilemma long ago.

As have I. The more I tried to "organize" my cables, the worse I made their entanglement when I needed to add or remove one particular component.
tripleM likes this.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #5 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I gave up on "solving" the cable dilemma long ago. In my system, with 6 outdoor speakers, an outdoor subwoofer, 11 indoor speakers, 2 subwoofers, 7 external amplifiers, 7 components (all virtually with a dedicated ethernet cable), etc it's simply impossible to get it all beautiful (not that it ever does, anyway), and more crucially, to me anyway, pointless.

I've seen people use dozens of zip ties and others means only to think: ok, now what happens when you need to get at them, break the ties and re fasten them? Seems a bit goofy to me. BUT, I DO understand your need to have them out of sight, that's a completely different issue. I just built my new rack with that very idea in mind.

In my case I constructed the case to house my amps (which are fan cooled) on the bottom with no visibility to the rear...the front and sides are very well ventilated. That's where 90% of the cabling lies. Basically though, ditto for the second shelf. By the time you reach the third shelf there's just an HDMI and power cord going up to the Kuro so that's easily hid. All else is an abominable aesthetic nightmare behind the cabinet. Can I get to cables if need be? Sure, but I'm not going to spend hours negotiating 150 cables and tying them off as it's ALL completely invisible, in-room.

So my recommendation: much easier to simply hide a necessary evil that you do not want to see, as even the guys with the most painstakingly arranged cabling still don't have them anywhere in sight. Go figure. Use your velcro ties to get things up (and sometimes, down, lol) and out of sight if you have to.

I'm a neat/organization freak, so it's a bit odd that it doesn't bother me...but then again, I don't organize my sock drawer, either. I guess perhaps I'm more of a practical freak. tongue.gif

Good luck

James

Haha - I think you hit several points I've been wrestling with!

1) The cable (velcro) ties while basically consolidating lengths of the cables into bundles, doesn't resolve any issues with the equipment's movement should there need to be adjustments ie slack.
2) Ties actually just create bundles of cables or shifts them to a certain location but doesn't necessarily make them any less unsightly ie. from ziti to farfalle!

Who knew hiding cables behind my wall, I'd still have to organize it ;P

Panasonic TC-P60ST60 + Sony STR-DG810 + LG BH200 + JBL L830's x2 + JBL LC1 + JBL Loft40 x 2 + Polk PSW10 + Harmony One
post #6 of 6 Old 08-19-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

I am 100% confident that if I can pull it off above, anyone can...and I have no wall to hide behind! smile.gif

James

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page