Projection room size - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I apologize if this has been answered previously, but the search function of this upgraded forum format makes me want to rip my hair out.

I am in the process of having plans drawn up for an addition to my house, including a new theater. I really like the idea of having a separate projection room in the back for my projector and equipment.

I am slightly limited by space (who isn't!!), and I'm interested in what kind of depth I would need for this room. Would a 4 foot deep room suffice? 5 feet?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Depends on the projector you are looking at. For most consumer grade projectors, i.e. not a DCI, are under two feet. So you would need only enough room to get in there and do whatever manipulation you need to do with your projector. You could make the room big enough to house your racks and equipment too. That to me, would be a better use of space that just the pj. If all you want to do is hide the projector, you can do that with a hush box or hide it in the soffit.
Depending on your projector choice and room size, the throw distance will be a big consideration in the design and feasibility a projector room.

Cooling will also be an issue you need to consider even if just the projector is in the room.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I am definitely planning to house my equipment in the room as well, and cooling needs will be addressed.

Based upon my prelim drawings, with a 4 foot deep projection room, a 12 foot wide 2.35 screen and a 2 foot deep false wall space, I would be looking at a throw distance of almost exactly 2.0.

I think that 4 feet would be enough depth for my projector and equipment choices. I suppose I'm wondering if 4 feet would be too cramped for me to work in there? Any thoughts?

Kevin
post #4 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Snyder View Post

Thanks for the reply.

I am definitely planning to house my equipment in the room as well, and cooling needs will be addressed.

Based upon my prelim drawings, with a 4 foot deep projection room, a 12 foot wide 2.35 screen and a 2 foot deep false wall space, I would be looking at a throw distance of almost exactly 2.0.

I think that 4 feet would be enough depth for my projector and equipment choices. I suppose I'm wondering if 4 feet would be too cramped for me to work in there? Any thoughts?

Kevin

What are the room dimensions including equipment room?

After going through the process............30" for false wall would be my suggestion.

As far as equipment room depth of 4 ft.......,,,,,,,,,dependent on orientation..............you could go smaller and give what is gained to false wall.

Any drawings?
post #5 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Agree, some drawings would help. 4' might be plenty or not enough depending on how you have the rack oriented.

Are you planning for soundproofing?

-

post #6 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

No good drawings to post yet. Will post when I put something better together.

Room length of 26'. (20' from rear wall to front false wall if 4' projection room and 2' false walls pace)

Width is still up in the air. They have 18' currently in the plans. I was thinking about going a BIT narrower.

I'm planning on going with 2 rows, with the back of the rear row of seats several feet from the rear wall. I would plan to use the rear row as my prime seating position, as I prefer a 1.2 ratio (based on a 2.35 screen width).

Kevin
post #7 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Agree, some drawings would help. 4' might be plenty or not enough depending on how you have the rack oriented.

Are you planning for soundproofing?

Yes, planning on soundproofing to some degree.
post #8 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, planning on soundproofing to some degree.

There is NO such thing as soundproofing to some degree.....................

It's all or nothing...................
post #9 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No good drawings to post yet. Will post when I put something better together.

Room length of 26'. (20' from rear wall to front false wall if 4' projection room and 2' false walls pace)

Width is still up in the air. They have 18' currently in the plans. I was thinking about going a BIT narrower.

I'm planning on going with 2 rows, with the back of the rear row of seats several feet from the rear wall. I would plan to use the rear row as my prime seating position, as I prefer a 1.2 ratio (based on a 2.35 screen width).

Kevin

One of AVS forum members who so happens to be a HHA certified theater designer suggested 25 ft X 16 ft X 10 ft would be ideal...................I used those measurements in my room which was framed 25' 2'' X 16' 10'' X 10'................couldn't be happier!! wink.gif
post #10 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

There is NO such thing as soundproofing to some degree.....................

It's all or nothing...................

Wow. Really?
post #11 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 508
We need to know your definition of some degree and your level of expectation of sound proofing results.
post #12 of 14 Old 08-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, you are going to have to spend some time thinking about soundproofing. Staggered studs, clips and channel, double drywall and green glue, there are lots of methods that achieve varied results. However with any method you choose, any hole in your drywall will be a weak point to transmit sound. So outlets need to have putty pads, light need to have backer boxes, doors need to be completely sealed. And the reason I asked is because your projector room will also need to be sealed up. If it's outside the theater, sound could enter/leave the theater through the port hole or any other opening. It's quite a complex subject and you should have a good plan in place before you start construction.

-

post #13 of 14 Old 08-24-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Kevin,

I am not sure what you should do but I can tell you about my PJ room. It is a slightly different situation than you have because I have an unfinished storage area behind my PJ room so the front of my rack is flush with the PJ room and the back of the rack sits in the storage area and will be cooled that way. My PJ room is also outside of the sound envelope. I have a 8x10 glass porthole for the light path.

Anyway the dimensions are 3.5x9'. In your situation you need to be able to access the back of your equipment and cool it too.
post #14 of 14 Old 08-25-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimastergrant View Post

Kevin,

I am not sure what you should do but I can tell you about my PJ room. It is a slightly different situation than you have because I have an unfinished storage area behind my PJ room so the front of my rack is flush with the PJ room and the back of the rack sits in the storage area and will be cooled that way. My PJ room is also outside of the sound envelope. I have a 8x10 glass porthole for the light path.

Anyway the dimensions are 3.5x9'. In your situation you need to be able to access the back of your equipment and cool it too.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated! I think I'm going with a 4' depth for the projection/equipment room, to allow room for maneuvering and rear of equipment access. I also plan for this room to be outside the sound envelope.

I'm planning on staggered wall construction with double drywall and green glue as my main soundproofing method.

BTW, LOVE the avatar!

Kevin
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page