What to add to a 15x12 room? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all.

The room is closed with no bump outs/stairs etc.

My set up going in is;

Yamaha RX 700
Polk M 40's - Fronts, Back Sorrounds
Polk M 30's - Back Sorrounds
Polk Cs10 - Center
BIC f 12's X 2
Samsung LCD- 55"

is this enough to fill out the room?, what can I swap out and exchange if need be? Amp? Upgrade fronts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 911
That will fill the room. For consistency, I would replace the M30s in the back with another pair of M40s, since you're using them for your fronts and sides anyway.

Placement (speakers and seating) will help you get smoother frequency response. For smoothest sound, the seating (listeners' ears) should be 5 feet from the back wall. I would place the front speakers 8 feet apart on the front wall, side speakers directly to the sides of the listeners (or slightly forward), rear speakers 6 feet apart on the back wall, subs at the midpoint of front and back walls.

Consider adding some room treatments (absorption) across the front wall and the middle half of the back wall.

Sanjay
post #3 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the info....no amp needed , overkill?
post #4 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Do you already have the TV? If not, I'd look into a front projector and a screen.

An amp certainly wouldn't hurt, but try it with what you have first. Add an amp later if you feel you need it. I agree with Sanjay and think the money would be better spent on room treatments right now.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #5 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Got a Sammy 55" - I feel like my receiver is under powering the 40's. i really have to crank the receiver mid way to get them pumping.

An amp to push these bookshelf speakers??? Would i just need an amp just for the front 3 ? or just the fronts?

thx
post #6 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Your receiver is rated to 90wpc, but likely isn't quite there with all channels driven. If you were to get an amp, you would want a minimum of a three channel amp to provide the same power across the front soundstage. You could then add two channel amps as the budget/need would allow for the surrounds. The Emotiva XPA-3 would probably be the last front channel amp you would ever need. I would say look for at least 100wpc to make it worth your while.
Another option would be to pick up a new receiver. There are a lot of options out there with more power and more features.

-

post #7 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 12:11 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 631
+1 projector, this is a forum of dedicated home theaters, not TV rooms. Not trying to be elitist but it is a known fact that once you experienced the better than that at the movies sight and sound immersion experience that a good sound system and a large projection screen have to offer you will never be satisfied with a TV.
mbroder likes this.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

An amp certainly wouldn't hurt, but try it with what you have first. Add an amp later if you feel you need it.
Exactly. IF, after some time and use, the receiver seems to be straining or can't play loud enough, then consider an outboard amp.

Better than an outboard amp would be to get a receiver with Audyssey XT32 room correction, like the Onkyo 818. Will make for a noticeable improvement over the YPAO room correction in the Yamaha receiver.

Sanjay
post #9 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post

Your receiver is rated to 90wpc, but likely isn't quite there with all channels driven. If you were to get an amp, you would want a minimum of a three channel amp to provide the same power across the front soundstage. You could then add two channel amps as the budget/need would allow for the surrounds. The Emotiva XPA-3 would probably be the last front channel amp you would ever need. I would say look for at least 100wpc to make it worth your while.
Another option would be to pick up a new receiver. There are a lot of options out there with more power and more features.

Ok, so I could run the Emotiva for the front 3 and let the receiver take over the rest?.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

+1 projector, this is a forum of dedicated home theaters, not TV rooms. Not trying to be elitist but it is a known fact that once you experienced the better than that at the movies sight and sound immersion experience that a good sound system and a large projection screen have to offer you will never be satisfied with a TV.

the projector is later, but was just curious to know sound wise if i was to need any upgrading for the room dimensions.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-23-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post

Exactly. IF, after some time and use, the receiver seems to be straining or can't play loud enough, then consider an outboard amp.

Better than an outboard amp would be to get a receiver with Audyssey XT32 room correction, like the Onkyo 818. Will make for a noticeable improvement over the YPAO room correction in the Yamaha receiver.

Yeah, an amp would play louder, but getting a better receiver first would like be a better use of the money. An 818 or a Denon X4000 would provide much more power than you have right now along with a whole host of other features.

-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page