Big Felter's Home Theater Build Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 09-16-2013, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Lots of project creep with all the wall design. All for a room where 98% of it's use, will be in a the dark.

Maybe that money would be better spent on gear, or put into lighting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 09-16-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I think you are 100% correct. Well it was fun to think about. I Am going to try to keep the back wall but the rest, back on track to a normal room.

Thank you in advance for the support of this great community. I will be sure to pay it all forward as I build my skill set!

Big Felter's home theater build thread
post #33 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Well I got some time this weekend to finalize the basic design. I have something I really like now
  • The entire basement layout is now complete
  • The project creep is rectified

Biggest differences from the last posts:
  • I removed all the 'stuff' down the side, but will keep the challenge project of the back wall complete with lighting in the design
  • The stage was redesigned and I like this look a lot better
  • The riser was greatly shortened only for the back row, and the front and middle recliners would sit on the floor
    [**] A next step is to lay out blue tape put everything in position and make a final decision on the third row and if it is doable or not)
    [**] Note that I want to be able to move aside the recliners and fit a poker table in this room for hosting home poker games as well. For this purpose I either need the riser to be very long or very short. If the second row of recliners needs some height I can figure out a solution later
    [**] Note that the second row of recliners does not fully recline. they tilt back about 30 degrees at most so you don't need much space behind them
  • By moving the door to the little kitchen area to be exactly across from the bathroom door this allowed me to find some symmetry in the room. I then added 1' x 8" pillars around the doors, and a fake set of pillars across from the main room entrance, and arches between each set of pillars (4)
  • Then added curtains behind those to conceal the doors when in the room as I saw in another design here that I liked (credit to be posted later).

Here are the pictures:
**note that color schemes will follow later after I have begun building so any suggestions for what parts should be what color would be appreciated. I have at the moment no overall color theme ideas.
** Lighting is a next step to add in

LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01

? Do I want the soffits to run just down the sides only or do I want it to run across the theater wall as well as I have done here ?

Thank you in advance for the support of this great community. I will be sure to pay it all forward as I build my skill set!

post #34 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
As long as you are willing to do the work, I see no reason why you can't carry the theme to the side walls. It's your room. Do what you want. While I like the fabric and archways, I don't think they are the right look to go along with your current back wall design. I think the original scheme was more cohesive.
post #35 of 41 Old 09-22-2013, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post

As long as you are willing to do the work, I see no reason why you can't carry the theme to the side walls. It's your room. Do what you want. While I like the fabric and archways, I don't think they are the right look to go along with your current back wall design. I think the original scheme was more cohesive.

Thanks for stopping in and commenting :O) I see your point. It is more red curtain than I had hoped for (of course they don't need be red, they could be any color, like a grey which would help a bit). This week I will be on the road for work so I will kick it around in the back of my mind. I know I am getting closer for sure though.....

post #36 of 41 Old 10-08-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well I got my reply finally back from Visions and it blows chunks. So the screen I purchased before moving from BC was a $980 screen. The screen I want (acoustically transparent, 2:35-1, 12 foot) is $1979. The catch is that I bought a few pieces before I left for a total of $4K and the screen was in that purchase. In order to get me a good price they told me that they couldn't reduce the speakers further so they reduced the price of the screen to $500 in the package for me.

So now I ask them if I can exchange the unopened screen for the new screen and they tell me sure they will credit me $500 for the larger screen purchase when I return this one.... see the issue... I am to take a loss on the $500 advantage I got from making the $4K purchase to exchange the screen. I am going to try to escalate as I have been a very good customer for these guys.

So one more shot and then if not I will set up the screen I have but still build the three foot space and the false screen wall for a future upgrade at some point.

The design of the basement (all rooms) is complete. I am working out the lighting options now.

I found a great website for ordering LED lighting for a feature I want to build into the pillars for lighting. It is:

http://ledmontreal.com

I will update pictures of the designs soon. This weekend I will be ordering the lumber and drywall etc and it's go time :O)

post #37 of 41 Old 08-01-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well it's finally a go!

Well it has been almost a year since I last posted. The new promotion and the move from BC to Calgary really kicked my rear and it took me almost a year to get back on my feet. So the great news is that this was another year to learn and plan and save for our theater build.

I am on vacation and building has officially started! I am a couple days in and have a few updates to post and catch up on.

Note that I don't pretend to be an expert or a carpenter and master electrician as the amazing theaters I see on here, so don't be afraid to coach or comment on what I could do better this time, or even in a future build. I welcome all comments if I get any.

post #38 of 41 Old 08-01-2014, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

reverted to the original layout for the basement

One of the things we did was decide last minute to flip the design from what you see in the posts from last year back to my first shot at it. The biggest reason for the flip is: I like the width of the theater better in this design, and this leaves a much more usable games room / room for a bar next to the theater room. the other design chopped off 2 small areas of the basement that were hard to use.

Note that I didn't "fancy" this drawing up like I did the last one. Ideas that I have will present themselves in due time. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first design - again.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	192273  

post #39 of 41 Old 08-01-2014, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

The delivery of materials is here!!

The delivery came and my daughter's boyfriend and a buddy of his moved it all into the basement for me for a couple hundred bucks (and some owed good will I think) what a job it was! Best $200/ request for help I could make I think.

Home depot offered a service to deliver the drywall only the basement but it was an extra $5 a sheet (a small fortune).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140731_153740_Sunset Close.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	192345   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140731_153753_Sunset Close.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	192353  

post #40 of 41 Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

First walls are up!

The screen wall is up, or the first part of the double wall I should say. the second part is built and will be installed tonight. Also up is the first of the walls for the bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140801_151641_Sunset Close.jpg
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	192369  

post #41 of 41 Old 08-01-2014, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

The window plug

Along the right hand side of the theater (when facing the screen) is a window that needs to be plugged. I got the idea to plug it like this from another thread (thanks to whichever thread that was).

I built two boxes out of 2/4 and added drywall to the first one, and DD GG to the second one. Then inserted one with the drywall facing out to the window and the other with the DD facing inwards. Ultimately this will be covered by a second wall anyways but I will leave that second wall with a space in the wall framing where the window is (like the exterior wall construction) and then will DD GG over it. I just feel better that if access ever were needed all I would need is a drywall saw and I could cut a hole in the near proximity of the window, do whatever is needed (such as replace the window perhaps) then pop the window plugs back in and repair the DD drywall side. I also left the window unlocked when I pushed it closed in case I need to reach in for whatever reason from the outside.

It was fitted nearly perfectly, but I shoved acoustic insulation in the cracks with a pencil where I could.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140801_151715_Sunset Close.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	192409   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_155521_Sunset Close.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	192433   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_160510_Sunset Close.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	192441   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_160455_Sunset Close.jpg
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	192449   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140801_160006_Sunset Close.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	192457  

Last edited by bigfelter; 08-01-2014 at 06:44 PM.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page