Floor carpet & ceiling color for High Contrast Grey Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI, longtime avs forum'er here and I'm building my 1st projection HD home theater room.

I purchased a BenQ W1080st projector. I have a 120"(D) Jamestown HC Grey screen on the way. I've looked around, but I have a few questions.

I have a white ceiling, wood paneling walls(with some give), and white Berber carpeting;

1). Will the white ceiling and/or white carpet create any viewing problems with my projector and HC grey screen set up(different from a white screen)?

2). If the carpet needs some dark, would a Burgundy rug(large) do the trick?

3). If the ceiling needs darkening, any recommendations?

4). How will the wood paneling be including for sound?

5). I plan on ordering drapes soon for a large window(110") in the room, and for the projector screen(111"). How will this affect surround sound?

My room is 15.5' x 17'-10.5".

If I should ask in another forum, please direct me where.

Please reply.

Thanks in advance. smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 532
congratulations on joining the theater club.

You already know the answers to all your questions, even with a gray screen the darker you can make the room the better the blacks will be on a projected image. Remember a black object on the screen is just a section of screen with nothing being shown on it. Any light reflected back to screen will determine how black your gray screen will appear.

wood paneling is very reflective and the clarity of the dialog will suffer due to side and rear wall reflections. time to read up on acoustical treatments.

As for your short throw projector. Why? are you planning coffee table placement? it will need to be mounted between your first row and the screen. The lens will need to be between 6ft and 7'-3" from the screen either on a table or from the ceiling. It also does not have any lens shift so finding the exact spot will be a little tricky.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 04:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

congratulations on joining the theater club.

You already know the answers to all your questions, even with a gray screen the darker you can make the room the better the blacks will be on a projected image. Remember a black object on the screen is just a section of screen with nothing being shown on it. Any light reflected back to screen will determine how black your gray screen will appear.

wood paneling is very reflective and the clarity of the dialog will suffer due to side and rear wall reflections. time to read up on acoustical treatments.

As for your short throw projector. Why? are you planning coffee table placement? it will need to be mounted between your first row and the screen. The lens will need to be between 6ft and 7'-3" from the screen either on a table or from the ceiling. It also does not have any lens shift so finding the exact spot will be a little tricky.

Thank you BIG, let me answer.

The short throw is for video games. The longer the throw, the more lag in the games. Don't know how long I will be in this space, probably will be smaller where I go eventually.

While no lens shift, some people have problems, while others do not. Will using this Sanus projector mount help me fine tune in the picture to the screen?

http://www.*******.com/Sanus/VMPR1s/114649/productDetail.php?utm_source=googleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_content=VMPR1s&gclid=CKbt9aLxmrkCFepFMgoddVUAdQ
Quote:
Sanus VMPR1 - Tilt &, Swivel Ceiling Mount For TV projectors up to 50 lbs. (Silver Finish)The VisionMount VMPR1 is a tilt and swivel ceiling mount for projectors up to 50 lbs. Independent roll, yaw and pitch adjustment settings make set up and alignment easy, and a quick-release mechanism allows servicing of filters and bulbs without refocusing or realigning. Solid heavy-gauge steel construction adds strength and stability, and hardware-hiding bezels offer a sleek, high-tech look. Versatile mount design is compatible with more than 95% of all DLP and LCD projectors on the market. Includes 7", extension pipe.

Yes? Will I need to use the 7" extension pipe.

Ok, when looking at the screen in the room. There is a fireplace w/brick chimney on the left side of the room out from the wall 1.5'. On the right side of the room while facing the screen, there is a large 110" picture window(the basement is 100% out of sunlight from 2pm on, no room lighting worries from outside). I plan to use these panel drapes on them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AKEJHQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1Z5QE6QSCCQHR

2x per window/projector screen, 4 panels total hung in the room. Is this a bad idea(for sound)? I don't see how since the window drapes will be closed while the projector screen drapes will be open.

Ok, so both side walls are not wood paneling. The back wall is about 30% paneling because the stairs are behind that to go upstairs. It's closed off into a room however. I'm not worried about side or back wall reflections. More worried about the white ceiling and carpeting. Both are a flat white.

I was thinking of getting a burgundy rug that would lay between the projector screen and the table/HT furniture. This should help with screen darkness?

I don't know what if anything to do about the ceiling.

FYI, My audio is above par starting with new ML ESL's that are about half broken in. I plan to have someone out about sound treatments. But I don't know where they'd go?

Thank you very much.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Any color darker than white that you paint the ceiling will help your screen image. Most of the theaters I build the ceiling is painted black, Mine is a dark grey and I just finished one that was the darkest brown available.

As for projector your challenge is to get it the exact height to match screen location. After leveling your projector the only way to adjust the position of the image on the screen without distorting the picture is by changing the height or moving the mount side to side. I like the Chief Mounts as they use a standard 1 1/2 inch metal pipe down pole that you can get cut in any length you want at Home Depot. They also sell various pre cut lengths, Just paint the pipe black with spray paint. Clean the pipe first.

Make sure you position the mount such that the projector lens is dead center with your screen by measuring from the two outer corners of the screen back to the mount location.

In this case I would mount the projector first, shine an image on the wall, make sure that it is square, measure the horizontals and verticals to be sure they are equal, then hang the screen right there.

Now as for your short throw requirement I'm not a gamer but I am totally baffled that the time it takes light to travel an extra 7-8 ft or so would introduce a noticeable lag.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Any color darker than white that you paint the ceiling will help your screen image. Most of the theaters I build the ceiling is painted black, Mine is a dark grey and I just finished one that was the darkest brown available.

As for projector your challenge is to get it the exact height to match screen location. After leveling your projector the only way to adjust the position of the image on the screen without distorting the picture is by changing the height or moving the mount side to side. I like the Chief Mounts as they use a standard 1 1/2 inch metal pipe down pole that you can get cut in any length you want at Home Depot. They also sell various pre cut lengths, Just paint the pipe black with spray paint. Clean the pipe first.

Make sure you position the mount such that the projector lens is dead center with your screen by measuring from the two outer corners of the screen back to the mount location.

In this case I would mount the projector first, shine an image on the wall, make sure that it is square, measure the horizontals and verticals to be sure they are equal, then hang the screen right there.

Now as for your short throw requirement I'm not a gamer but I am totally baffled that the time it takes light to travel an extra 7-8 ft or so would introduce a noticeable lag.

Thanks for the help. wink.gif

Please excuse me as I put my screen together and we got it on the wall Tuesday night. Been enjoying some fruit of the labor/cost since. Hence I mounted the screen. But that can change. I also had my electrician out today and he'll put an outlet near the projector ran to the fuse box. Then run the HDMi cords down the other side wall and out to A/V stand/receiver. I'll run speaker wire outside the room for speaker 6&7 all the way down and then back into the room. I like that a lot, no wires along the wall for 6&7.

Do you know which Chief Mount I would want to work with the BenQ w1080st? And do you know where can I get them?

When you say they use 1 1/2"w pipe, are there threads on the pipe or is the pipe clean that you use with the mount?

Is there any other wires like S video that I should run with the 2 HDMi cables from the projector? It would be nice, but how far can S video or A/V cables run and still work properly?

Thanks again!

Edit: I didn't say how it is/like it. OMFG does it KICK ASS!!! The picture is HUGE and gorgeous, and I'm SOOO glad I went with the 120" screen over the 110". It's perfect, and I wouldn't want it to be any bigger size than it is. Not on that wall anyways.

And the Martin Logans kick ass to. Been watching/playing blu ray concerts a lot.

It's just awesome! And now I can see the whole room with the HT furniture we have coming next week. So great to be over the hump. biggrin.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page