First Dedicated Theater - Need thought on Color and Projector - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 08-27-2013, 12:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TMcG, and all other anamorphic lovers

I knew I was gonna ignite some debate when I dropped the anamorpic lens issue, but here is what I believe. The blurays correct real image is around 1920*800 .You are wrong in every other way.

The horizontal resolution is 1920 what you mean to say is vertical resolution which is 1080.

In order to get full panel usage on the projector that 'vertical ' stretch is in fact adding artificial pixels and this distorts the original image by taking away detail even though you end up with more pixels.

More pixels in this case do not mean more resolution because the pixels are calculated by some complex algorithm and hence have no real quality to them. Experts agree that you lose as much as half the detail when doing a vertical stretch and then anamorphing it. I have seen anamorphic image and the real zoomed out image side by side and the detail rendering is very evident in the anamorphed image.

Its like I have 10 apples and 20 people to eat them, but hey if I add a little sugar to it and mix it with these 10 apples then I can give to 20 people . But are 20 people getting the full real pleasure of the 10 apples. Here more to read.

As to curved or not curved screen. Curved will give the most accurate reproduction in that the projected light is all travelling a similar distance to avoid the pin cushion. Personally in a home cinema you can tell it that much and the choice of screen is more of apersonal taste. Personally I prefer flat.

TMcG more for you to read:

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/06/2-35-lens-versus-zoom-fight/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gskinusa View Post

Yup I agree. I am planning on getting as many panels made with both the linacoustic backing and just plain Lauan plywood. Then once the construction is over get some professional to tweak the room for sound. At that time I can swap the panels in to different positions so the proper sound can be achieved. (I am basically going to have the panels attached to the wall using industrial strength velcro so that I can pull them out if needed and swap them or even clean them). Having said that I agree that setting this correctly is critical and that is why wanted to have this flexibility.

I'd take the opposite approach and get the acoustic design up front so you know precisely the size, type and location of all the different panels in the room and wouldn't have to change on-the-fly. Most calibrators don't try to fix bad rooms during the calibration by moving panels, they simply address the room's internal acoustics with DSP and EQ for smooth response at the MLP.
post #33 of 36 Old 08-27-2013, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

I'd take the opposite approach and get the acoustic design up front so you know precisely the size, type and location of all the different panels in the room and wouldn't have to change on-the-fly. Most calibrators don't try to fix bad rooms during the calibration by moving panels, they simply address the room's internal acoustics with DSP and EQ for smooth response at the MLP.

I have a short time and obviously limited budget. Anyway I can find an acoustic engineer quickly in the nearby Philadelphia area. Like you said I would rather do it right for the first time than doing it multiple times but the time and budget are the main restrictions here just like any other thing in life:). Any suggestions in finding the engineer to assist with this.?
post #34 of 36 Old 08-27-2013, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked: 370
As part of the analysis, most companies are committing you to their product line. The $600 Layout special through the Erskine Group will specify only Quest Acoustic panels, for example.

Brian Pape (bpape here on the Forum) at GIK acoustics has been recommended by a lot of folks and gives you a good blend of standard products (OC 703, OC 705, etc.) with some of the specialty engineered products. I'd give him a call as a first step http://gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/
post #35 of 36 Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post

As part of the analysis, most companies are committing you to their product line. The $600 Layout special through the Erskine Group will specify only Quest Acoustic panels, for example.

Brian Pape (bpape here on the Forum) at GIK acoustics has been recommended by a lot of folks and gives you a good blend of standard products (OC 703, OC 705, etc.) with some of the specialty engineered products. I'd give him a call as a first step http://gikacoustics.com/acoustic-advice/

Thank you. I will get rolling on this today.
post #36 of 36 Old 08-28-2013, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quick Update:
I am still working on getting the acoustical set up. Also, working on the color changes as suggested by many of you smile.gif. Here is another option I was looking at based on the dark brown scheme by reducing the light color usage.

What you guys think.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page