Side surround placement & general design---Making big changes - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 09-03-2013, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Doublewing11 like how you have the cabinet as you walk in. Reallly love the room view, as if you are seated in that first row, watching a show or movie.

Nice setup and well worth the effort that you put into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Doublewing11 like how you have the cabinet as you walk in. Reallly love the room view, as if you are seated in that first row, watching a show or movie.

Nice setup and well worth the effort that you put into it.

Thanks.........smile.gif
post #33 of 39 Old 09-15-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
At a 12' seating distance how wide of a screen should I go with to ensure that there is enough separation between the L/R speakers behind the screen?

I was thinking maybe a 2.35 screen at 138" wide so that I can still have a 120" diagonal 16:9 image. The L/R would then be behind the screen pushed as far to the sides as possible.
post #34 of 39 Old 09-15-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate View Post

At a 12' seating distance how wide of a screen should I go with to ensure that there is enough separation between the L/R speakers behind the screen?

I was thinking maybe a 2.35 screen at 138" wide so that I can still have a 120" diagonal 16:9 image. The L/R would then be behind the screen pushed as far to the sides as possible.

80% of room width........................if wider, get a curved screen due to combating light reflecting off walls.

I have a 140" 2.37 screen with first row seating at 12.5 feet. I zoom down to approximately 109" wide for 1.78 material and find the screen perfect for watching college football.

My room is 17 ft wide drywall to drywall.........16.5 ft with treatments.
post #35 of 39 Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked: 1020
Quote:

The L/R would then be behind the screen pushed as far to the sides as possible.
If you can place the woofers of your L/R speakers 10.5' apart, then you'll get some mode cancelling as well out of them (fewer peaks & dips in the frequency response, making things easier for the room correction system in your receiver).

Sanjay
post #36 of 39 Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Excellent. So 140" wide screen (room is 16' wide) with the L/R woofers 10.5' apart.

Double wing,
Do you use masking for your screen when watching 1.78 content?

One more question; will the false wall need vertical supports right behind the screen?

I am trying to figure out how to describe the false wall/screen wall to my general contractor. Do I just tell him to frame a 140" x 60" opening capable of supporting 100lbs without any sag?
post #37 of 39 Old 09-22-2013, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Excellent. So 140" wide screen (room is 16' wide) with the L/R woofers 10.5' apart.

Double wing,
Do you use masking for your screen when watching 1.78 content?

One more question; will the false wall need vertical supports right behind the screen?

I am trying to figure out how to describe the false wall/screen wall to my general contractor. Do I just tell him to frame a 140" x 60" opening capable of supporting 100lbs without any sag?

The blacks on the Sony 1000 are good enough that I haven't ordered masking though the screen was prepped for them.

As far as supports for screen, check out "Big's" minimalist screen thread..................I used 5/4 finger jointed pine in an L shape and used for rigtht/left supports. Since my screen wall used fabric rather than panels, I used once again finger jointed 5/4 to support the fabric channel on top and bottom of screen. There are no obstructions to any speaker................BTW, my tweeters L/R speakers sit at 11ft width............
post #38 of 39 Old 11-07-2013, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am traveling down next month to check on the build, and I am still waffling back on forth on the changes to the layout. The design will need to be finalized and communicated to the GC during this visit. So I really need to make some decisions...

I was pretty much set on the 140" wide enlightor 4k scope screen, but it looks like it is going to be impossible to light this screen up at my budget. Before contemplating the scope screen, my heart was set on a 120" 16:9 studiotek 130 paired with a runco Ls5 or sony hw50. I can't really justify spending any more on a projector that won't get that much use in a vacation home and will most likely be replaced in a few years. So I have around 6k to play with for the projector system. So without going the route of an anamorphic lens, a jvc rs49 looks to be my only option, but at only 800 lumens, I don't think it will be able to light up this screen.

Centering the screen and doing an AT setup would be ideal, but I don't think my projector budget can handle a projector system capable of lighting the screen.
I could potentially shrink the screen a bit. After all, the initial plan called for a 120" 16:9 viewed from 14', and the false wall would reduce the viewing distance to around 12-12.5'. Maybe a 130" wide scope screen will give a reasonable sized 16:9 image at 12.5' and the jvc will be able to light this up to around 20ftl?

What would you guys do in my situation? I really like the idea of doing a 2.35 AT screen but I am not sure my budget can handle it...
post #39 of 39 Old 11-08-2013, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, I am traveling down next month to check on the build, and I am still waffling back on forth on the changes to the layout. The design will need to be finalized and communicated to the GC during this visit. So I really need to make some decisions...

I was pretty much set on the 140" wide enlightor 4k scope screen, but it looks like it is going to be impossible to light this screen up at my budget. Before contemplating the scope screen, my heart was set on a 120" 16:9 studiotek 130 paired with a runco Ls5 or sony hw50. I can't really justify spending any more on a projector that won't get that much use in a vacation home and will most likely be replaced in a few years. So I have around 6k to play with for the projector system. So without going the route of an anamorphic lens, a jvc rs49 looks to be my only option, but at only 800 lumens, I don't think it will be able to light up this screen.

Centering the screen and doing an AT setup would be ideal, but I don't think my projector budget can handle a projector system capable of lighting the screen.
I could potentially shrink the screen a bit. After all, the initial plan called for a 120" 16:9 viewed from 14', and the false wall would reduce the viewing distance to around 12-12.5'. Maybe a 130" wide scope screen will give a reasonable sized 16:9 image at 12.5' and the jvc will be able to light this up to around 20ftl?

What would you guys do in my situation? I really like the idea of doing a 2.35 AT screen but I am not sure my budget can handle it...

Talk to Mike at AVS......................the new Sony 55 might be able to light up 11.5 ft screen in scope. In 1.78, I don't see a problem......................I've seen the Sony 50 and it's a bright projector.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page