Side surround placement & general design---Making big changes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to finalize the side surround speaker placement for my new theater and am stuck between 3 options (highlighted yellow). FYI, the purple highlighted segments indicate acoustic panels (there will probably be 2 or 3 on the rear wall, just have not decided where yet).
So the side surround can go at position 1 on the drywall, at position 2 at the center of the acoustic panel, or at position 3 in line with the viewers' ears in the second row.
Which position is preferable?

Also, some additional info: room= 20'8" long x 15'9" wide, 120" diag 16:9 screen (bottom of screen area is around 36"-40" above floor), 14' from screen to back of 1st row seats (may shift 1st and 2nd rows forward 2'?), 15" high riser.

I am open to any suggestions to tweaking the design of the theater.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 619
With your room length, having your main row 14 feet from the front wall is give you smoother frequency response. If you do decide to move the row forward, the next best location would be 12.5 feet from the front wall.

I would place the side speakers directly to the sides of the main row, since that will give better side-vs-rear separation in the surround field than having all 4 surrounds behind the main row.

Also, why is your front speaker placement lopsided? Unless I'm reading your diagram incorrectly, the left speaker seems to be corner loaded while the right speakers appears to be away from the corner. That will result in an asymmetrical soundstage.

Sanjay
post #3 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

The screen is offset in order to accomodate the equipment rack in the theater.
post #4 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 32
You have that space marked as A/V closet, why not place the rack back there, vs. up front on the stage. Does not make sense to have the Closet space, and then a rack up front separate from the other equipment. As for Side placement, I would go with two sets, then a set in the middle for the rear. Basically end up with a 11.1 system vs. 7.1 or 9.1. I would use something like Teamviewer on a tablet to remote into the server when needed, vs. having to get up to make changes, along with a network KVM switch for allowing you to make changes on the server back in the A/V closet, from your seat, vs. having to get up and go back there to make them.
post #5 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

The rationale for having the rack in the theater is so that we can have access to the blu ray player.

I thought about doing two pairs of speakers for the side surround, but I think there might be an "echo" introduced since the same sound will be coming from two speakers that are not the same distance from the listener. There would also be issues with presenting two speakers to the receiver or amp as one load (too high or too low resistance depending on the wiring).
post #6 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decelerate View Post

The rationale for having the rack in the theater is so that we can have access to the blu ray player.

I thought about doing two pairs of speakers for the side surround, but I think there might be an "echo" introduced since the same sound will be coming from two speakers that are not the same distance from the listener. There would also be issues with presenting two speakers to the receiver or amp as one load (too high or too low resistance depending on the wiring).

Please re-think his over..........

1) Your front speaker alignment should be symmetrical if you get rid of equipment closet up front............you will kick yourself in the end if you don't.

2) The amount of heat in your room will boil you to the bone............no one will ever want to watch back to back movies! eek.gif

When I'm watching a film in my room, I have my rack thermostat set to 85 degree F and it will immediately trigger a 110 cfm fan until all equipment is off for 30 minutes or so. Think about it.....................all that heat could be outside the room! Although watching movies in your underwear could be an interesting activity I must admit! biggrin.gif
post #7 of 39 Old 08-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:

You could still have the Blu-Ray and other equipment that you would use facing into the room, with the backs in the A/V closet. Plus side is, that you can secure the Glass door covering the equipment, and same for the A/V room, but the equipment would be able to stay cooler, since you can control the environment in the A/V & Tech gear room. Plus side is, that the back of the equipment would be easier to access from in that A/V room, then having to have extra wire that you would have to dress and then also have the heat spilling into the room.

As for the projector to keep it cool, you could do a passive type vent above it, that could have the duct return back to the hvac equipment, which would help pull the heat from it, out of the room. Now of course the other option is to have a media server to store all movies and shows in your library, so that those that you would rent, you could still use the Blu-Ray player that would be in the rack in the back of the room, but then you would be able to access your library from anywhere in the house, without having to go down to it, then take the disc upstairs to whatever room you want to watch it in.

The plus side is, you can then move that back seating three feet off the back wall, or have one seat out of there, for those friends or family members that may have to use a wheelchair, so they would have a place to park in there.
post #8 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
it would annoy me to no end to have an uncentered theater - as for the equip - i have no problem getting up to change a disc...but i do keep my gear in the ht room and will with our new build
post #9 of 39 Old 08-26-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjason View Post

it would annoy me to no end to have an uncentered theater - as for the equip - i have no problem getting up to change a disc...but i do keep my gear in the ht room and will with our new build
It would be out of center with that extra gear up front for now reason. Since you have the dedicated room, place it in the back. It will actually still be better than the current plan, and not out of center how it would be set up.
post #10 of 39 Old 09-01-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

The screen has to be off center to accomodate a wide aisle to one side.

I would like to follow up on the idea of using two pairs of speakers for the side surrounds (1 for each row). What is a good way to accomplish this?

I could use a traditional 7ch receiver and wire the 4 side surrounds (probably triad silver surround) in parallel or in series to take up the 2 channels for side surround. Would this require a separate audio processor to eliminate comb filtering and adjust time delays?

Alternatively, I could opt for a 9 channel reciever and dedicate 4 discrete channels for the side surrounds in order to eliminate any problems in presenting too high or too low of a load to a regular 7ch receiver with side surrounds wired together on two channels. Then there is the same issue with how comb filtering is addressed. Would I need to use a separate audio proccessor or would audyssey's multieq xt32 be enough to eliminate comb filtering?

I would be very interested in hearing how some of you have implemented multiple pairs of speakers for side surrounds.

Thanks in advance.
post #11 of 39 Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Pile on!!

I have an identical set up to you. I have my side fronts slightly in front of the main seating and rears on the back wall. My equipment is in the rear wall that opens up in back to my equipment/projection room. Perhaps put a rack like I have in the rear back corner opposite the door. Comb filtering will be a minimal issue if your speakers contain vertically oriented drivers. Audyssey or the likes will improve your room and help with less than ideal speaker placement to a degree. IF you want multiple pairs of sides, buy a receiver with such incorporated or you can step up to Trinnov processing (but $$).

Side speakers are housed in column just forward of the second row of seating.

DO NOT put the equipment up front. All the flashing LEDs, other lights are a big 'no no'. Huge distraction! Why do a dedicated theater if you have all these distractions up front?That said, if you close the equipment off with a door, you will need some serious cooling as that is a small space.
Also, if you are demoing things or an issue occurs during a movie, it is better to get at the equipment behind the guests than in front of them.

Here is what the front wall of a theater should look like biggrin.gif (biased and minus the movie)

Here's how I dealt with the equipment:

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #12 of 39 Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM

36" is the most that you need for a walk way between the edge of the seats and the wall. Offset the back row, so that they are not directly behind the seat in front. Can you give some rough measurements on the walls, the right rear and the seat on that side, size of seating that you are going with, depth of the room from rear to front, depth from screen to front seating. What is the length of the foot rests on the seating, when you fully extend them out, so that it still leaves room on the back row, without touching the back of the front row, but also can you give at least 18"-26" of walk way between the footrests and the back of the seats, without having people place their seats back up, if someone wants to get up from say the far side on the back row and go out the door.

It does look like you have a little play in the front to move the seating up towards the screen if need be, to allow behind the rear seating, but also have room to go between the seating when the footrests are extended on the back row.

Once you figure the seating out, then maybe figure out the speakers, with one side set per seating row, and maybe one set along the back row of maybe three speakers back there, to help cover the room. Front speakers and sub, you could probably place behind the screen, vs. having them flank the screen.

This is some of the designs that a friend of my father's son has done for his customers, http://foxav.net/html/body_theaters.html It may give you some ideas where and how to go with this. I know that some of them are with the seating on the long axis, not the slim/shorter, so it did make it able for him to arrange seating better, and equipment placement. The one thing that I do notice a lot on here, is everyone wants to place the room with such depth, that they are then stuck with no room to play around on the sides, when figuring how to place seating or equipment.
post #13 of 39 Old 09-01-2013, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

The screen has to be off center to accomodate a wide aisle to one side.

I'll pile on as well and really recommend that you center the screen and the L/R speakers along with it. My room dimensions are very similar to yours - I have aisles on both sides which are 18" wide - I was concerned this would feel too narrow, and while I'd prefer another 6" on each side or more than I have, it really hasn't been a problem. The seats are short enough that you don't feel "enclosed" while in the aisle.

I also used a 'loveseat' arrangement in the seating IOIOOIOI to gain a few inches of space - my aisle stair treads could have been a few inches wider, really.
Quote:
I would like to follow up on the idea of using two pairs of speakers for the side surrounds (1 for each row). What is a good way to accomplish this?

I could use a traditional 7ch receiver and wire the 4 side surrounds (probably triad silver surround) in parallel or in series to take up the 2 channels for side surround. Would this require a separate audio processor to eliminate comb filtering and adjust time delays?

I just hooked two pairs in parallel to the amp (4-ohm stable) and adjusted the levels accordingly. May cause some interference in theory, but I haven't noticed any negative effects. I like being able to keep the level a bit lower (per speaker) than it would have been otherwise, especially for the folks in the outer edge seats.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #14 of 39 Old 09-01-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to center the screen, but the everything has been engineered in the ceiling already (I.e. return plenum runs along the length of the room above the aisle). So, if the screen is centered, and then the seats are centered, the tray ceiling will have to remain off center.
Also, the equipment will have black GOM fabric on the door panel to match the rest of the front wall. To deal with the cooling, I instructed the HVAC guy to run a duct from the return plenum to the equipment niche. I will then install a cooling fan like this with a line voltage tstat ( http://www.coolcomponents.com/Ceiling-Vent-System--Grill-Assembly-Fan-Unit_p_314.html ).

Greg,
Distance from screen to first row viewer's eyes is 14' (so rear riser is currently 6'8" deep and 15" high, I may need to shift the front row forward to get more riser depth), overall room length is 20'8", room width is 15'9", seats are 32" wide (fortress californian) and will be placed as individual seats with 1" between seats.

Jeff,
It is good to hear that having two pairs of side speakers does not interfere with the sound. I will need to run the triads in series as they are 4ohm speakers.

Bland,
Your theater looks amazing. I am very tempted to go with an AT setup and widen the screen up to the equipment niche.
post #15 of 39 Old 09-01-2013, 07:35 PM

The Plenums are a moot point, since it really will not matter where they are located in the room, as long as they are doing the job that they are designed to do, and that is to keep the room cool, and circulate air. If you have not built the riser, then you have some wiggle room there, to allow you to play with the depth from the back wall, to front row. As for the Screen, if you do not place that cabinet in the front, you again have wiggle room in placing it a little to the Stage Left then.

With the gap in the seating, you will be able to toe them into at an angle, so that the middle is aprox. screen center on the front row, then toe in the left and right at a bit of an angle. I am 6'-4", so when we setup our couch, which is about 12" off the back wall in our Living Room, I had to extend the seats out as far as they would go, then sit in them, to determine in placing our Coffee table just around 6" from my feet, so that I would not be right up against it on the left side, but my seat is of course always on the right.

From our 42" Plasma, the couch that we have, viewing distance is 10'-6", with my seat on the right 1/3 of the flat screen. I did have to toe in the speakers so that they hit the middle of the couch, since it is just a little off the center of the room.

Get the screen placed, along with the first row of seating with a Cardboard template, then use tape to aprox. your rear riser, with a Cardboard Template for rear seating, with templates for how the foot rests will extend, so that you can kind of get an estimate with what you are playing with, before committing saw to wood.

Going back to the whole Blu-Ray disc in a tray, I am still thinking of you going with some kind of disc changer, or even just going with digital downloads in the Cloud, through say Amazon.com, vs. physical media, but still as for regular media, the cabinet up front as you were originally thinking, I would stay low profile for the Blu-Ray player, and if you are putting in a gaming system, say a Xbox or Play Station, just those three items up there, you have to calculate in the fact that you are going to have to run a HDMI cable from a Mux switch at that location, or multiple runs of Cat-6 from the equipment to the A/V control Center.

Is there any way to get pictures of what you have now, and maybe a 3D rendering of what it may look like after done, along with maybe a 3D walk through of what you may want the A/V control center to look like, and entering the room from.
post #16 of 39 Old 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Everyone is quite right in their urging to center your screen however my own theatre is off-centre and it looks and performs great. The soundstage certainly will be messed up and the speaker in the corner will be loaded. I feel like I killed the bloat in my corner speaker successfully using DSP. There are many on this forum that think me a moron for designing my space this way but it sounds and looks excellent. And it's enjoyable. tongue.gif

I also chose to put my equipment at the front of the room. I knew that the LEDs would be annoying as hell so I turned the rack 90 degrees so that it faces a black wall. I never notice the lights except for a faint glow from the Behringer DSP amplifier. One of the design constraints for that amplifier, apparently, was that it look and glow like a spaceship. Relocating the rack to the rear of the room is also a very smart idea for all the reasons mentioned. If my rack had amplifiers (my speakers are all active) then I would, without hesitation, relocated my rack outside the room.

I use my Blu-ray player frequently even though I back up and play all my Blu-rays off of a NAS array in the house. The player is really handy when you want to bring home a RedBox some night. I wouldn't make the player hard to get to if I were you.

You can see a tour of my space on YouTube or just follow the link to my thread in my signature.

post #17 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Put your layout into my experimental application and it gave me this for your number of speakers.

So, it's not a question of whether 1,2 or 3. The answer is all of them. wink.gif And an additional #4 would make the subdivision even better!

Note that this placement requires the frontmost ones places lower than the rear ones in sort of a sloped horseshoe fashion.

Under construction: the Larch theater
post #18 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

I did not even take into consideration the detrimental effects of having one speaker corner loaded. This definitely alters my calculus.
I am going to go ahead and center the seats and screen as well as relocate all the equipment to the AV closet (I am probably going to do a fusion research movie server anyways). You guys are very persuasive...

These changes will leave me with a 29" aisle on either side. Any thoughts if this is too narrow? Maybe I could cheat and shift the seats a few inches off center to get some extra aisle width for the main aisle near the door.

I will now need to readdress the ceiling design. The return plenum cannot be moved as their is an elevator shaft and other rooms with coffered ceilings that affect the plenum placement. See the attached image. So, the new ceiling design will need to be at least 30" off of the side walls. When we account for a light shelf, the inside of the tray becomes even smaller. Any ideas for a new ceiling design that fits the space?

These tweaks also mean that I could go for a larger screen, maybe an AT screen? I need to iron out my viewing distances before investigating new screens. This house is a vacation house being built out of state, and I cannot go down there before the wiring is scheduled to be pulled. So I need to figure out these viewing distances now.

The way I see it, I have 2 options.
1. Build a false wall up front in order to do an AT screen. This would mean that the viewing distances to each row would decrease by around 2'? I am not really sure how deep the false wall would need to be.
2. Install the screen right on the wall and put the speakers on either side. This would allow me to move the first and second rows a foot or so in order to help with the sound in the second row.

I was planning on using a stewart studiotek130. So shifting to an AT screen would force me to restart the screen hunt. Any thoughts on an AT screen equivalent to the video quality of the studiotek130?

You guys have been really helpful. I sure appreciate it.
post #19 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Good move.

Like the StudioTek (1.3 gain), my Stewart AT screen is a 14' wide 2.4 aspect Microperf X2 (1.3 gain). It is a constant height set up with masking built into the frame. I use an anamorphic lens to accomplish such. (I hate black bars on a screen).

The AT screen with speakers behind it is a cleaner look and gives better movie sound with improved pans and tonal accuracy across the front. Better than speakers outside of the screen in my opinion. Alterations of the freq response of an AT screen are ameliorated with a Stewart's EQ they supply with the screen or your own EQ (either outboard or built into receiver).

Going AT route will move your screen closer to the viewers and lessen the need for an even larger screen saving money and likely giving a better cinematic presentation and closer to SMPTE standards for viewing distance / screen size..

I wouldn't be so concerned about a corner loaded speaker, won't be a huge impact if the speakers are not full range. Moreover, EQ and Room correction can help deal with such.

I think your new aisle width is fine. That's plenty of width for a theater your size. For me, I'd try design that tries to create symmetry and integrates perhaps a false plenum on the opposite side and then makes into a decorative ceiling. Moreover, I'd consult the architect or your interior designer for ideas.

Coming along..

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #20 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:

I am going to go ahead and center the seats and screen as well as relocate all the equipment to the AV closet (I am probably going to do a fusion research movie server anyways). You guys are very persuasive...

I think you'll be happier with the results. While I like having the BD player in the room to be able to load media, having it outside but nearby is fine, too. When I'm having folks over to watch a BD, the disc is in the player and has already gone through the 20 minutes of commercials / previews before anyone shows up...
Quote:
These changes will leave me with a 29" aisle on either side. Any thoughts if this is too narrow? Maybe I could cheat and shift the seats a few inches off center to get some extra aisle width for the main aisle near the door.

29" wide is luxurious! biggrin.gif My aisles are ~18" and I was concerned about that being too narrow. A foot wider than that - you've got no problem!
Quote:
I will now need to readdress the ceiling design. The return plenum cannot be moved as their is an elevator shaft and other rooms with coffered ceilings that affect the plenum placement. See the attached image. So, the new ceiling design will need to be at least 30" off of the side walls. When we account for a light shelf, the inside of the tray becomes even smaller. Any ideas for a new ceiling design that fits the space?

Agree with others that mirroring that 30" soffit width on the other side is the first step. You could divide the remaining area into several trays (see my pictures) as an example, but there's plenty of creative possibilities. The ceiling is a great place to get creative...
Quote:
These tweaks also mean that I could go for a larger screen, maybe an AT screen? I need to iron out my viewing distances before investigating new screens. This house is a vacation house being built out of state, and I cannot go down there before the wiring is scheduled to be pulled. So I need to figure out these viewing distances now.

Boy, you really are embracing the forum advice!!! biggrin.gif
Quote:
The way I see it, I have 2 options.
1. Build a false wall up front in order to do an AT screen. This would mean that the viewing distances to each row would decrease by around 2'? I am not really sure how deep the false wall would need to be.
2. Install the screen right on the wall and put the speakers on either side. This would allow me to move the first and second rows a foot or so in order to help with the sound in the second row.

My front row is 10' from a 108" screen in 16x9, if you pull your rows two feet closer to 12', you'd be fine with your 120". At 10' I wouldn't go any bigger than my 108", but there are folks with larger/shorter than that and like it, too. Pulling your rear row a few feet from the back wall will really help, and you've got the room depth to allow for that.

The depth of the false wall needs to be enough to house the speakers - 2' is the common suggestion, subwoofers are usually the deepest box to deal with. I wouldn't make it any shallower than 18" as that will start restricting your speaker choices.
Quote:
I was planning on using a stewart studiotek130. So shifting to an AT screen would force me to restart the screen hunt. Any thoughts on an AT screen equivalent to the video quality of the studiotek130?

For the price of the Studiotek there are a number of brands for AT alternatives that are excellent quality... At 12' you won't have any problems with seeing the fabric weave...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht

post #21 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 09:44 AM

29" would be find with me, it is enough for a person to get through, without feeling that they are crowded by the seating or wall. The only thing that still concerns me, is how tall is the tallest person going to be, that will recline back, which will be the factor in placing seating, so that the footrest does not hit the back of the chair in front, same with their feet. We all know how kids are, when they sprawl out. They love to place their bodies on everything around them, and in front of them.

Only other thing, would be to incorporate some kind of plug in with USB charging ports, so that if you say brought your tablet or smartphone down there and wanted to charge it, you would want some type of port to plug in at your chair, or in between the front two chairs. Especially if you use a handheld tablet style remote, you would want to plug it in right there, or say 3D glasses.

Also it is probably better to brainstorm and bounce ideas off of everyone on here, than your brother in law or next door neighbor, unless they are going to be a part of the build. I do like the info that Nightlord gave. That is pretty cool that he is able to do that on calculating throw of the speaker placement, which just threw one headache off your shoulders.
post #22 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You guys have been really helpful. I sure appreciate it.

Please think this over carefully..............

At 12 ft distance, I can clearly see perfs on Stewart Studiotek 130 screen............not to mention 3-4 db loss on HF with requires additional eq...............woven screens are 1-2 db loss.

As mentioned, woven screens are much better but there is a trade off..............ie. screens tend to be negative gains. Because I purchased a 4k projector, I used a 4K screen from S-SE and can't be happier. On the screen, I have to be with in 2-3 ft before I see any form of fabric pattern.

Your projector selection will dictate screen size and material.........or visa versa.

I'm using Sony VPL HW1000ES on 12 ft wide 2.37 S-SE 4K screen and love the combination of the two...........but there are other screen/projector combos that will work too.
post #23 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 11:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 27
As another data point, I have a Stewart UltraMatte 150 MicroPerf (AT) screen in my old theatre, and I sit just under 12 feet away. The projector is a JVC RS1. I do not notice the perfs in the screen at al -- I guess it's a matter of visual acuity.

I'm thinkng of a Stewart Studiotek 130 MicroPerf screen in my new theatre (the projectors put out a lot more light now than when I built the old one (2007).
post #24 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBon View Post

As another data point, I have a Stewart UltraMatte 150 MicroPerf (AT) screen in my old theatre, and I sit just under 12 feet away. The projector is a JVC RS1. I do not notice the perfs in the screen at al -- I guess it's a matter of visual acuity.

I'm thinkng of a Stewart Studiotek 130 MicroPerf screen in my new theatre (the projectors put out a lot more light now than when I built the old one (2007).

Good point......................

Everyone is different...................better to check now, than regret later. At 12 ft, I can clearly see perfs.............and my eye sight has been gradually going downhill. Best for OP to find out himself.
post #25 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Double wing,

I'll investigate that 4k screen.
Have you compared the 4k screen to any of Stewart's regular non-AT screen? From what I have read Stewart makes some of the best reference screens on the market, and color fidelity will be important for an AT screen for me,
post #26 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Double wing,

I'll investigate that 4k screen.
Have you compared the 4k screen to any of Stewart's regular non-AT screen? From what I have read Stewart makes some of the best reference screens on the market, and color fidelity will be important for an AT screen for me,

Yes, I spent a long time evaluating my possible selections. In my case, from the get-go I was adamant about using an AT screen. I've seen 3-4 different types of perf material offered by Stewart and could see hole patterns at 12ft........Stewart was thrown out due to this issue.

Next step was ordering material from Seymour ie. XD and 4k. The XD material is brighter but I could see fabric pattern at 12 ft. Because of my projector selection, I was able to have enough brightness from projector to light up screen.

Is the 4k material for all applications? No......

In my case, the Sony has enough light output for my needs. The picture thrown is truly special.......

From my experience, only Sim Lumis can compare.......but then again, you are paying more than double for that projector.
post #27 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

I was just thinking, and this may be dumb question, but how would I calibrate the audio when the receiver is located in the AV closet outside of the room?
Maybe install a small conduit between the AV a closet and the back of the room in order to run the microphone cable?
post #28 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Do dumb questions exist? biggrin.gif

No question is dumb!wink.gif

Calibration can be done were processor is outside of room.....or you could wire a 3.5mm socket to accept microphone

Look here.....

post #29 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Do dumb questions exist? biggrin.gif

No question is dumb!wink.gif

Calibration can be done were processor is outside of room.....or you could wire a 3.5mm socket to accept microphone

Look here.....

I like the wall socket idea.
On another note, your screen looks quite low. What is your screen height off the floor?

I am thinking of putting mine around 30" off the floor, with the first row at around 12-12.5' and the second row at around 18.5'-19' with a 15" riser.
post #30 of 39 Old 09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I like the wall socket idea.
On another note, your screen looks quite low. What is your screen height off the floor?

I am thinking of putting mine around 30" off the floor, with the first row at around 12-12.5' and the second row at around 18.5'-19' with a 15" riser.

Actually, the bottom of screen was spec-ed by Erskine Group..............34 inches off floor. In reality, the screen is higher than what it should be..............a 9.5 ft wide screen was spec-ed and I went with 12ft ie.the larger screen should have been dropped down a few inches. BTW, sure glad I made the change to a larger screen...............thanks to Mike at AVS. wink.gif

Sounds like you are similar to my set up with seating distances..............though my riser is not near as high. I'm at 13-1/4 inches.........I used 3 layers of 3/4 plywood with Green Glue in between each layer.

As far as viewing angles................no problems what-so-ever. What's nice about my seating distances back surrounds are almost 5 ft from back of second row............ie. breathing room.

Hope picture helps................
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page