Question: Cool Sky Illuminator - White vs RGB - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

First post here, hopefully I didn't miss this answer somewhere else in the forum

I'm building a small star-ceiling, 3' x 10', for our nursery and have come across the Cool Sky illuminator, like the one featured here

http://www.starceiling123.com/index.php?/vmchk/Fiber-Optic-Illuminators/Cool-Sky-LED-Illuminator/flypage-ask.tpl.html

I'm wanting to confirm whether RGB version of the Illuminator will do solid white (or close to white) or not. StarCeilings123 said no when I e-mailed them, but in my experience, if you turn all three color poles on with an RGB LED they'll mix to create a white-ish color. Can anyone confirm the truth about these?

Most important to us is an illuminator that will have some sort of twinkle effect and be able to output white light, with RGB being a bonus. And obviously we'd like something that doesn't break the bank...like I said, nursery :]

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 08-26-2013, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have two of the coolsky units, but both are white LED only, so I cant comment on your question about the RGB model. I'm very happy with the coolsky unit. They are relatively affordable, run cool and silent, and have no lamp to worry about replacing. As for the twinkle patterns, personally, I think only one or two of them are practical. Most of them are too 'flashy' for a star field. But there are a couple that provide a very nice 'shimmer' effect. I have mine set up so that some stars are on all the time on one illuminator and the rest of the stars are on the illuminator with the subtle shimmering effect. The result is a fairly natural looking star field.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page