Primary Home Theater Questions: New build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-28-2013, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all. I am building a new house. I am not able to use all of my B&W free standing speakers, subs and side and rear channels. She wants me to do everything with in-walls. Here is what I have so far:

Primary listening position is 13 feet from the 65" Plasma.
Plasma is mounted above the fireplace, 70" above the floor
Center channel will be 60" above the floor.
Fronts channels, Side channels and rear channels will be 40.5" above the floor. (ear level)
Sub is below the window. The window starts at 23" above the floor.
The front wall is 16 feet across.

Here are the compromises and concerns:
My rear left channel is directly behind the primary listening position.
My rear right channel is approximately 4.5 feet from my left
I cannot go higher than 40.5" in the rear left and right channels because these are mounted in a 1/2 wall
Location for front speakers is either 1) all the way to the left wall and to the right of the right window *or* to the right and left side of the fireplace.
If I go with option #1, I would assume I need speakers that have tilt capable tweeters toward the primary viewing position? Option 1 also would be a tight squeeze on the left wall..I may have to cut away some of the 2x4?..maybe..not sure. Option #2.. the right and left speaker would be fairly close together (its a 36" fireplace inset and there are 2 areas to the right and left they could be mounted, but again, its going to be tight.

Thoughts on this setup?
Also looking for recommendations of in-wall speakers? Looking for bang for your buck as budget is tight.

Here are the pictures:
Scan0002.jpg 354k .jpg file
sample home 4.jpg 1013k .jpg file
sample home 5.jpg 920k .jpg file
sample home 6.jpg 878k .jpg file
Sample home.jpg 905k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan0002.jpg (353.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg sample home 4.jpg (1,012.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg sample home 5.jpg (920.3 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg sample home 6.jpg (877.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Sample home.jpg (905.5 KB, 14 views)

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Also, would I want to use Dipole/Bipole Speakers in the 2 sides and 2 rears? Or would direct firing be better. Or would it be better with direct firing on the sides and dipole / bipole on the rears?
I will be 40.5" off the floor for all 4.

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Do you have a basement? That's a whole lotta compromises. I've seen similar systems in similar spaces and for the money you'll spend, it rarely delivers what you are looking for. Subwoofers are only as good as the amount of space needed to be pressurized and you have a lotta open space to pressurize (being open to the whole floor). Surrounds in awkward places will collapse the soundstage and in such a set up dialog intelligibility at modest levels will be a challenge.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I've been there and know this type of install. Very, very difficult.

That said, if your expectations are relatively low, you can achieve ambiance in surround tracks and some bass pleasure.

If it were my room, I'd do a sound bar below the plasma for a richer sound and skip the 5.1. When you turn up a 5.1 system in that room, it'll travel through the whole house.

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

no basement.

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Old 08-28-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Added more info but keep your expectations in check, and you'll be OK.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Old 08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Eh, further thought - since you have little space to work with and you look to want something to work, here's what I'd do if it were my place...

1. I'd do in ceiling rears - no sides - flanking either side of the couch - yes, with directable tweeters. Output will benefit from the vertical wall behind them.
2. Put the sub in the rear corner behind the couch and you'll get some corner energy for improved output. You'll need it.
3. and put good in-wall speakers (12" driver would be nice) on either side of the Television with a thin, robust center below the television or forget the center all together. If you put speakers on the floor, the height difference between them and the center above the fireplace and in ceiling rears will screw up your sound stage. Use in-walls with a minimum of 8" drivers - you need air movement in such an open space.
As your L and R speakers will be relatively close together, pans across the front won't be super accentuated, so a center is not critical to maintain the soundscape of the front pans. Moreover, the center / voice imaging should be very good without a center - but again, if you feel you need a center, don't buy cheap. Better, IMO, to spend on two ultra high quality left and right in-walls and leave out a center. Add later if you feel you need it (leave an unused speaker wire behind the drywall).

Old 08-28-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thx for the advice. The ceiling is going in the wrong direction I think for the rears. (cathedral ceilings)
what would be bad about putting the front right and left in the corners of the room? Left speaker would be up against the left wall...
What about making this a 6.1 system? Use 1 centered back speaker? maybe something like this:
http://www.atlantictechnology.com/default.asp?NodeId=137

Also, we are wanting to use in wall subwoofers.. are you saying to use those instead of the Side channels?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Putting a floor standing speaker in the corners and having a center that is so much higher will compromise the front soundscape. I'd use good in-walls on either side of the plasma and you should be fine.

According to the photos, rears flanking the rear of the couch should be fine. I don't see a cathedral ceiling in the photos. If still an issue, I'd put the sides on either side of the couch or slightly behind and add a 6th channel of need be... but if money is tight, I'd rather put the money in a better 5.1 system than spending extra for a 6.1 or 7.1. Given the compromises in the room, you have little to gain from additional surround speakers... and you can always add later if the need comes and more $$ is available.

If you could hide a small powered sub somewhere in the room (under a table, etc), it would be better than any in-wall sub unless you are prepared to spend a couple thousand for the in-wall sub.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry if I misrepresented something here. ALL speakers will be in wall. I can put the in walls for the front stage at any height. I was thinking I would put the right and left at 40.5 " off the ground and use a center speaker that is highly directional.
Speakercraft for example has an in-wall center channel that the woofer and tweeter can both be tilted downward and pointed at the primary viewing location I could raise the location of the right and left fronts to match the center, but then wouldn't most of the sound be going over your head?

My preamp processor is setup for 2 side channels and 2 rear channels. So you are saying to keep the 2 side channels but to create the 6th channel in the back, would you combine the right and left rear channel signals using a Y connector or something like that?

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

The photos are not correct for the ceiling. These are photos of a spec house. The house we are building is using cathedral ceilings. I should have pointed that out

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

IMG_20130827_151108.jpg 1533k .jpg file

Here is the picture of the house in its current state.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130827_151108.jpg (1.50 MB, 10 views)

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Are you willing to rotate the furniture 90 degrees so that you can mount the TV on the west wall (closer to eye height so that people don't have to strain to look up)?

Sanjay
Old 08-28-2013, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

If I put the Plasma on the West wall, I have nowhere to put any surround speakers. I could put in side speakers but no rear channels

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio