Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

I tried that it works well, even with one row of seats smile.gif

Hi WSE,
Would you please elaborate that's what've been trying to confirm , how would /did you make your connections for the two row setup? Just got the minidsp in box and have been reading all I can . Please tell!
Thanks very much

PeterV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 10-01-2013, 06:17 PM

WSE
Forgot to ask what plug in did you use?
Thanks

PeterV
post #63 of 71 Old 10-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Just to add to this discussion, Per Dr. Floyd Tool last week, (not going to debate it just going to state it) , and he was asked twice in class.

Just assign a 10 mil sec delay to the rear set of surrounds and the sound should be de-correlated. That is the time sound travels 11 ft.

OR, put the first set of surrounds slightly ahead of the main listening postion ( often the first row) instead of behind and assign the wide channel to the first row of surrounds.

He also recommends that the side surrounds in a one side speaker set up be ahead of the primary listening postion if you are doing a 7 channel set up. Not even or behind as classically recommended. At about 60 degrees.

I also want to qoute an independent review of a two row theater with identical signal without delay sent to the sides, at the Rawlinsway Theater"

"The room itself also sounds stellar! Surround imaging is spectacular and, believe it or not, this was my first experience with an acoustically transparent screen behind which all three front channels (LCR) were placed. I’m now convinced that AT is the only way to go. I was curious to hear how the dual-side-surrounds sounded in operation, and the result is STELLAR. The Star Wars Episode I Pod Race Scene sealed the deal for me."

Thanks Big,
How would the 10 ms be implemented ? With dsp or mini? I recently got an AT screen Seymour center stage and love it, didn't care before but having that center dialogue where it belongs makes the difference .
Thanks

PeterV
post #64 of 71 Old 10-01-2013, 06:38 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 632
I would want to do it with the minimum cost possible, certainly not with a $2000+ solution. I would think a mini and access to additional channels of amplification. Depending on your receiver capabilities, if it has 9 channels of amplification you could assign two channels to zone 'B" and use the delayed signal as a direct input to Zone B.

JEFF PARKINSON

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #65 of 71 Old 10-02-2013, 02:18 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonleepenn View PostWSE Forgot to ask what plug in did you use? Thanks  PeterV

I use Y XLR cables so each set is fed the same input

My humble Cinema
post #66 of 71 Old 10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post Or these from JBL which are only about $1000 each. Not sure about the minimum working distance, though.

I always wondered about those do they sound any good?

My humble Cinema
post #67 of 71 Old 10-02-2013, 02:33 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elill View PostVery interesting Roger and "cheap" Here is an interesting read/presentation on the concept (warning, its a big pdf) According to the presentation, they should be ok at 1m....something to ask JBL perhaps

Great presentation thanks for sharing, I want one of those.

For those of us that like to read scientific papaers http://www.xlrtechs.com/dbkeele.com/papers.htm

My humble Cinema
post #68 of 71 Old 10-02-2013, 03:04 PM

Hi WSE,
The mini dsp plug-in(program) that they have that cost $10.00 is what I need to know which did you use for your write up they have several.
Thanks

PeterV
post #69 of 71 Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I would want to do it with the minimum cost possible, certainly not with a $2000+ solution. I would think a mini and access to additional channels of amplification. Depending on your receiver capabilities, if it has 9 channels of amplification you could assign two channels to zone 'B" and use the delayed signal as a direct input to Zone B.

Thanks again Big,
I was able to make it work for me! With the info you provided I made the connections using separate power amps, my setup has all separate power amps. I was able to dial-in delays for the second pair of side surrounds i set them to 7.5 ms, made gain adjustments to get level. The mini/box has two inputs and four outputs, you can set the delay for each of the four outputs individually of one another,also the volume for them.
The mini has eq.....g for all outputs, I did not do any as I wanted to hear things as they are with Audyssey's setup. The four outputs are tied together as follows, input 1 go's to outputs 1&2 and input 2 go's to output 3&4, essentially as a Y cable/device works pretty straight forward , at some other time I may play around with the mini's plug-in eq. The plug-in, advance 2, also lets you setup stereo crossovers Hi/Lo.i bypassed all the features I didn't use/ need. It definitely changes the dynamics of the second pair of side surrounds I can hear a wider sound that creates a more spacious feeling in my environment (HT) I am liking what I hear, they sounded very good without delay before as I used them. But now they are less obvious to where the sound is exactly, yet greater presence of ambience. The mini in box is the poor mans dsp over much more expensive dsp devices. I'm grateful that I found this thread and a few others around avs, there's one for subs in DIY and subs/trans.
Thanks

PeterV
post #70 of 71 Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Lots of good in this thread. Since I am going with dual column dual Side surrounds I am bookmarking this for sure !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #71 of 71 Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post

Lots of good in this thread. Since I am going with dual column dual Side surrounds I am bookmarking this for sure !

It seems there are a few threads about this topic around.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page