Argyl Theater Concept - First Time Builder in Lee's Summit, MO (Need Comments Please) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-01-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 59
First off I would like to say that without this forum I would have had no idea of all that was included when building a home theater. So hats off to you guys and many current and future thanks. Here is what I am considering for my basement. Since this is a 2D layout I will add that the floor joists are approximately 7' 9.5" from the floor. I need to move some HVAC and also have a 60 to 100 amp service ran from my breaker (in the garage on the other side of the house). I will be including some pics here of that, but I want to post this prior to watching the Wolverine with my daughter. Too bad she is just like me!

Here is the floor plan:

Here is a concept of what the wet bar will look like (All cabinets will be similar to black walnut wood, i.e. very dark):

In a bit I will upload some pics of the HVAC and see if you all think I can do what I am hoping I can do.

I hope that I have given this enough though so that you guys can really let me know if I am looking for trouble or if it seems doable. FYI - This theater will be in the basement of a two story house. It will be underneath the kitchen and underneath the office on the 2nd story. All the bedrooms will be at the other end of the house. the basement is only under the kitchen and this side of the house. The rest of the house is on slab foundation. IMHO the builder really should have made more basement space, oh well.

Thanks,

Chip

Argyl Home Theater - Indefinitely Delayed

My Movie Library - and still growing!

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-01-2013, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Looks like a good project, I'll be following along.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #3 of 7 Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pics of the hvac, water, water, plumbing, and electrical issues that I will need to deal with. In the following picture my hope is to bring the hvac duct into the cavity between the I-beam and the sewer drain. The concrete foundation wall you see is the same as the front wall of the theater but to the left. This area here will be storage, but the beam, HVAC, Sewer Drain will all be in soffit within the hallway and open in the storage space. That window is on the front wall and I will create a "cap" for it. It will always be accessible, but you will need to remove a fake panel.

In this picture you see the majority of the HVAC, water, and gas line. The concrete wall will be the back wall of the theater. First course of action is getting one large roll off trash container and clearing (you see how I did not say cleaning) out the basement. Too much crap that we should have thrown away 3 years ago when we moved. The finished walls you see are for the stairs to the basement. My idea is to move the hvac under the stair landing and move it completely out of the theater space. The waterline and gas line will be within a soffit (13" x 10") in the theater they are not getting moved. My plan is to have the HVAC peeps move the Freon pipe to the right of the sewer drain.

This picture just shows a closeup of the Freon pipe. I wish the hvac peeps would have put it going above the beam like the water lines. That would have really helped out a ton and not made me need to move them.

This picture shows the space between the sewer pipe and the I-beam. I think it is completely doable. The only issue being the radius of the ducts, but I have some ideas on how to work with that. If t he radius of the ducts gets in the way I may just use and arched doorway, since I am thinking about not including a door to the theater. Two reasons here. First, I want this space to be used when we entertain, ie football & basketball games, movie nights, etc. I don't want to fee that I need to close the door and why put a door in if it will just be open all the time anyway, and second I have two girls at home and I remember what it was like when I was 18! So no privacy for them! smile.gif

This final picture just shows another I-beam that I will have to deal with. This area will be the wet bar and will have a soffit like the rest of the room. The soffit here will just be extra deep to take into account this I-beam.

Family Room: Sharp LC-80uq17u + Denon 3808ci + Oppo 93, Speakers: C: Polk CSi-A6, F(L+R): Polk Rti-A7, S(R+RS) Polk TC60i, Sub: HSU – VTF3-MK4
post #4 of 7 Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Well the roll off dumpster arrived today and basement cleanup is underway. Once I get it cleaned out I will post some pics of the virgin space.

post #5 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Well the dumpster is about full! I ordered a 7' x 10' x 4', which I thought would be enough and they brought by a 8' x 12' x 5' one because they were out of the one I wanted. Well I am so glad b/c the larger one was filled to the brim. I will take a pic tomorrow. Here are some pics of the space mostly cleaned out. The next step is to build the storage space and move the rest of this stuff into it so I can start on the framing of the theater. For reference, the wall with the window will be the front wall. The area with all the Christmas decorations will be the bar. Complete size should be in the 13' x 21' including 3' for a false wall.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

My electrician is coming over on Friday (9-13) afternoon to give me a quote to run a 100 amp panel from the breaker to the basement. The HVAC people are coming over in Mid October to quote me a price for the HVAC relocations. Once the HVAC is out of the way it will be go time. Most of the framing will be done prior to the hvac and the electrical.

post #7 of 7 Old 09-13-2013, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Electrician stopped by today. He is going to send me a quote for running a 60 amp service from breaker box to the basement. He thinks it will be around $650. One step closer!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page