Cabling from TV to components and IR extender/repeater question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wasn't sure which forum to post this in so if this should be moved, please move it....

Background:
Anyway, my room is on the main floor of our house and the TV is going to be mounted over a fireplace. I don't think I'll have anywhere in the same room to put the components so I'm looking for other ideas. Someone from work suggested putting them in the basement directly below where the TV will be and then just running the cables up the wall. This sounds fine but I'm looking for advice on the best way to do this.

THe only components I have to worry about are: Receiver, Blu Ray Player (HDMI), HTPC (HDMI), and a Wii (composite). I may just figure out a way to attach the Wii to the back of the TV since it needs the sensor bar and things to function). My receiver is older and doesn't have any HDMI inputs so I route everything to the TV and then use the TV's Digital Audio Out to go to the Receiver.

I have room in the basement and can put the stuff anywhere I'd want to. Probably just on a shelf high up on a wall or something.

Anyway, I need to get two HDMI cables form the components up to the TV and then the Audio Out cable as well.

Question:
Just wondering if most people just have a hole in the wall with the cords coming out or if it's worth it to put in a wall plate with keystone jacks and things like that. My TV has 3 HDMI ports so I'll probably just run 3 cables in case I find a need for the 3rd one at some point.

Also, since the equipment will be in the basement, I need a way to make my remote function. I currently have a set of Terk Leapfrog extenders that I could probably use. I've also heard of ones that can go over an unused port on the HDMI cable or over Cat5 which would just have a tiny "eye" that would stick on the TV instead of having an actual device sitting on the mantle or somewhere. Any opinions on those?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
How will you be fishing the wires? Will you be taking down drywall? I think you'd have to take down drywall. If i were you, I'd consider buying a new receiver and running a single HDMI cable, as HDMI cables create large holes in studs and joists, especially if you're going to run three of them. Even one creates a large hole, as you have to fit the connector through the hole. I'd also see if you can put the equipment in the same room if possible. I've been using RF remote systems for years, and they make mistakes. If you're not near the equipment, you'll have to see what the status is on the devices. For your situation, you'd have to run down into the basement.

You might also consider running conduit, so then you could change the HDMI (or other cables) if you wanted to do so. However, conduit has to be sized to allow you to pull an HDMI cable through, which means the conduit is relatively large. If your fireplace is on a load bearing wall, then you have to be concerned with the size of holes you can put in your studs. See, for instance:

Drilling holes in studs

If you have 2x6 outside walls, you can run a fairly large conduit, so it might work for one HDMI cable, but I don't think you could pull three HDMI cables through.

Bob
post #3 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is going to be part of a remodel so the wall the TV will be on will be put up from scratch after some other ones come down. I'll have plenty of space to put the cables just where I want them. I agree that having them in the same room, or at least close by, would be ideal but I'm not sure where that would be. I'll keep that in mind as we finalize the plans....

Thanks.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I should say that when I redid my family room, I ran conduit that was the largest I could fit and still drill a hole in a 2x6 (joist, not stud) according to code. I believe I had three 90 degree turns in the conduit (of necessity) and let me tell you that it was a bear to run a single HDMI cable through the conduit. I don't think it'd be possible to run two. Maybe you could do this if you pulled both at the same time, but that means you'd have to get two connectors at the same time through three 90 degree turns, which would be tough.

Bob
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 381
For all that work you should upgrade the receiver to an HDMI switching one that will greatly simplify the work to do, and will make it much easier to operate, too. Good quality AVR these days can be had for $250-350 with LOTS of features you'll like...

EDIT: Like this deal on Amazon ($319 for the NR616 - cheaper than the 515):

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR616-7-2-Channel-Certified-Receiver/dp/B0077V88W2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1378216076&sr=1-1&keywords=onkyo+receiver

For $180 you can solve all the cabling / remote issues with an HDBaseT kit from Monoprice - just need a single cat5e cable to wherever the equipment will be:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2

An Arlington TV Box placed in the wall behind the TV mount will give you plenty of room to tuck the extender and give the proper recessed power outlet, too.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page