Room for 2 row seating/Design input... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I have a dedicated theater room built in my home that is essentially 14'10" by 19'10". I am a total home theater noob but did manage to make a sketch up of a design I was thinking about. My room is essentially the above box without any closets to store equipment. Thus, using Jeff Parkinson's idea, I have sketched out 2 media closets on each side. The right most would house my equipment on the bottom and speaker tower on top. The left would house speaker tower on top and sub on bottom. Center channel I guess will sit on a stand in the center of the stage (unless you think I should build a builtin across the bottom and hide the speaker in there. I chose to keep the projector on the wall because I don't think I have enough for a faux wall and still have room for a 2nd row. The issue is, I am worried that I still don't have room for a 2nd row. The opening is where the doors to the room are. Appreciate your input and please let me know what other information I could provide.

Questions essentially are:

1. Would this be a "smart" design to accomodate equipment. I could also create a media closet in the back of the room.

2. Do you think I can fit a 2nd row of seating with a riser given my room size.

Appreciate it!

Vik
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Have you considered moving the equipment rack outside the room entirely?

I would dismiss the idea of boxing in your speakers entirely. That would be compromise audio.

How many bodies do you want to / need to accommodate? And how tall is the room?
And it appears you have the speakers, correct?
post #3 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

there is not really a good space to move the audio outside of the room. We were not thinking of boxing in the audio. Rather the front of those panels would be acoustic paneling.
post #4 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter

sorry I meant to say equipment, not audio. There is one closet on the other side of the floor that doesnt really have a purpose, but it has a lot of ducting/vent and I think it would get expensive to create space for media rack in there.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 103
If your entry door was in a different location, your room would be deep enough for 2 rows. But since the door is centered on the back wall, I think you are going to have a hard time leaving enough room for an aisle behind the back row. One option would be to install a bar w/barstools as your 2nd row. This should leave you enough space to enter the room and walk around the bar to gain access to the front row seats. Take a look at Mario's Cinemar theater. He has an entry centered on the back wall with bar seating in the back.
post #6 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

eek, that is my worst fear. I was hoping to get 2 rows of theater style seating (perhaps a row of 3-4 in the front) and 2 sets of 2 in the back. If i can't, then rather than build a bar, I guess I would just get a sectional but this sort of kills what my idea of what a theater should be.
post #7 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

just another idea but waht about recliner in the front and 2 love seats in the back? since they would not recline, perhaps this would create some more space for an aisle in the back. Appreciate your input!
post #8 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

The front speakers are buried in the corners, in a fairly wide room. And your rear surrounds aren't very well located either.

Bar stools aren't the most comfortable seating for a two hour movie though...

One possible solution is a single row of four seats with an acoustically transparent screen, which would place all three front speakers and sub/s
behind the screen, and the equipment in a low rack behind the seating. A single row also works out better for reference level audio if your speakers
have dome tweeters.

Have you given any thought to the cooling and air circulation needs of a home theater with multiple bodies and equipment? This is important.

You don't want the second row of seating on the back wall anyways so the door isn't a huge issue. Two rows are possible but the screen size will be
on the smaller side versus the AT screen. That might work out just fine if the projector choice is on the budget end. And the smaller screen wouldn't force
the center channel down so low that the front row blocks the dialog to the second row seating.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah. I was thinking 106" screen. We could just do in wall speakers throughout with L C R behind screen or having them just to the left below and right of the screen.

I think the room has vent for a/c. We were going to add a vent above the media closet to circulate the heat ou am not really sure what the approach to heating etc should be. Since I am a noob, I was going to have a home theater company come and do most of the work/labor (although I would love to do as much myself if possible to help save some $$$), so perhaps they would already have a plan regarding heat management.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naperthrill View Post

eek, that is my worst fear. I was hoping to get 2 rows of theater style seating (perhaps a row of 3-4 in the front) and 2 sets of 2 in the back. If i can't, then rather than build a bar, I guess I would just get a sectional but this sort of kills what my idea of what a theater should be.

Then again, maybe the booby prize for a single row of sectional, could be an anamorphic lense, and then you do a 2.35:1 acoustically transparent screen, with manual side masking panels.
A sort of one row, very scaled down version, of Peter M's room perhaps?

Peter M theater 6.jpg 256k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peter M theater 6.jpg (255.6 KB, 21 views)
post #11 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

a mockup with 2 rows of seating. I measured the back row is about 2'9" off of the back wall, viewing distance to first row and second row look to be 11'3" and 17'1"
post #12 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Looks good to me. I think that setup would work easily for 2 rows, but I would increase the screen size. You will need a riser for the rear as well.
post #13 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

while I don't want to admit it, I am pretty sure you are right Tedd. I went up and each door is about 2 feet wide, so if they were to open, there would only be 9 inches behind the back riser. We would essentially have to enter through one door, close the other, then walk in which I think may get annoying. I guess that means we are just looking at 1 row. I will look into seeing if 1 row will allow me to have a larger screen size and shoot for 2.35:1 screen instead.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

That looks ok in two dimensions, (except for the rear surround placement). Now you need to do a side elevation, with sightlines drawn in, to determine riser height and
how low the center channel ends up. And watch for where the projector ends up, due to mounting height requirements, and throw distance.

Seven bodies in a room with electronics, with a single vent, is a potential issue too.
post #15 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The double door rear entry wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. Double doors aren't great for sound isolation anyways, so maybe the two row answer is perhaps
a single 28" door and some drywall and framing work?

(Might want to make sure any seating goes through a 28" opening though...)

The single row and AT screen suggestion was just an alternative approach if the seating number works, and thinking about where one can spend their budget.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
You could split the rear row into 2 groups of 2 or 2 love seats and push them to the outside walls. You'd have an isle down the middle to the back of the front row. It's far from ideal but would allow you to get everything in.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #17 of 21 Old 09-06-2013, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

so my family is my wife and my child, so in general there will only be 2-3 of us using the theater room. On occasion I would imagine we may have some friends over that may raise it to 5, and very rarely do I think we would actually use all 7 but it would be nice to have.

What kind of options would you suggest regarding heat management for 7 people?
post #18 of 21 Old 09-07-2013, 12:06 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by naperthrill View Post

What kind of options would you suggest regarding heat management for 7 people?

I might have missed it somewhere in the thread, but where in the home is the room located? If you're in a big enough basement that's typically always cool, you could get away with cycling air between the theater room and the rest of the basement. If it's not (or if you're above ground), you'll probably need to find some way to actively cool the room (adding to an existing hvac zone, creating a new hvac zone and using dampeners off of an existing system, or using a mini-split, for example). Each person sitting (and not doing anything active) generates something like 350-450 btu, which adds up over a 2 hour movie. It's worse of your playing video games in the room wink.gif Think of it like sitting in your car without any A/C and the windows rolled up. If it's at all temperate or humid outside, it starts to get uncomfortable after a while.

Are you doing any kind of sound isolation? The more you seal up the room (to sound proof it), the more you'll have to make sure you have a way to get fresh air in and stale air out. In that scenario, most people go with dead vents or run their ducts through soffits to bleed out the sound before entering/exiting the room. It all depends on your wish list and your limitations.
post #19 of 21 Old 09-07-2013, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Two intakes and two exhausts, is what is generally recommended.
post #20 of 21 Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Coming back to this, lol still in the thought process phase. I think I am more comfortable in creating a screen, and we want a stage at the front of the room. may put a riser in the back for a 2nd row and have the doors to the room turn outward. My biggest annoyance is figuring out where to put the AV equipment. many have said to not have it on the front wall where the screen will be. I was going to try and do a build like BigMouthinDC where he had a hidden column that housed the AV equipment, but I don't think my room is wide enough to accommodate that as well as the screen size I want. I feel if I put it in the back of the room, its going to take away from the space we would have to put a 2nd row as these AV racks seem to require at least about 2 feet by 2 feet of space. We have a spare bedroom that currently functions as a guest room that has a closet where all the cables in our house feed to. I just don't want to put all the AV equipment there as if we were to ever sell the house or expand our family, it takes away from that rooms closet. I am not really sure what other options we have. Would appreciate any input and if you need pictures I will be happy to upload. The room is upstairs on the 2nd floor. We have no basements in oklahoma (or very few at least).
post #21 of 21 Old 11-26-2013, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

so I made another mockup and revised my original picture and I think this may work. I will make those cabinets in the front 2x2 feet instead of 2x3. this will allow for 2.35:1 screen at 51 by 120 inches in the center. I will have the cabinets cut at a height above the floor standing speakers and put an AV rack on one side and shelving on the other for DVD, blankets, etc. Will keep the floor standing and subs in front of the stage and center speaker should fit under the screen. I will have them put in a vent above the AV rack side. The room itself has 2 vents. This configuration should allow for me to put in a riser in the back for a 2nd row and will have the door unhinged and placed to face outward.

Anyone see any issues with this build?

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page