New construction - help picking room and layout - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2013, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am trying to decide which room from our project to make the "Theater room". The choices are two:

(1) A den that is about 19 feet at the longest, average 16 feet usage, by 11 feet wide but up to 14 feet at the largest (lower floor)
OR
(2) A room that is 17.5 feet by 19.5 feet with some large windows on one end (upper floor). (more box like)

The 11x16 den seems to make a more logical choice being a rectangle, but I am fairly new this and I wonder if there are other considerations. The den has a pocket area up to 14 feet wide on the south side, where I thought maybe the equipment could go behind a cloth panel "wall". The larger room seems harder to be because it is a lot of space and the windows are more challenging.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ceiling hieghts for the rooms might help make a decision easier. What are you looking to get out of the theater? Any idea of what your goals are yet? Sound Proofing, Acoustics, Screen? These guys will be able to help you out. It might help them help you if they know your wants/goals for the theater.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Fuelrush, the answers to those questions:

(1) The 1st Floor Den is 10' 6" ceiling. The 2nd Floor Media is 9' 4".

(2) My goals are primarily a maximally large screen and a theater-feeling room. I don't want it to feel like a living room. I plan to go mid-range with the projector and audio. In terms of sound-proofing, I would only spend the cash for that which will get good bang for the buck. The master is on the other side of the house, so the sound won't keep anyone up.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Which side are those windows on in the larger room? Right side or top?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

The windows in the larger room are only on the top side. The right side is just markers where the screen might go. The doors are at the bottom. There is a small closet upper left.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 79
You can do window plugs for either room.

What is your seating needs? Are you open to some construction?
Old 09-10-2013, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Some thoughts for room A with a built av rack and a pull out style rack. Both with acoustically transparent screens.
I'd secure one of the french doors to not open, or rebuild with a single door for better sound isolation.

Do you have speakers and electronics yet? Inwall speakers in the rear angled walls would be a zero footprint option
for the traffic flow areas.

PAlmin built in rack.jpg 77k .jpg file

PAlmin slide or roll out rack.jpg 81k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PAlmin built in rack.jpg (76.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg PAlmin slide or roll out rack.jpg (80.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tedd,

I'm looking at your proposed riser and AV - I like the idea of tucking the rack into the wall. Is there enough depth in the room if I put the screen offset two feet from the back wall and use the window plugs? I have been toying with moving the door to the top wall (not sure if that can be done) and that would give a bit more room on the back riser and remove the steps except for those up onto the riser (since you could walk along side the riser on that top wall).

A few small questions:
- why do people pour concrete for the floor? is there a problem with a plywood floor? (excuse my ignorance)
- I assume a single back riser should be 12" high with a 6" step?
- I assume the 11x19-ish room is big enough for a 100" screen, and would be suitable for a home theater as opposed to the bigger room with windows?
- How does one access the area behind the screen?
Old 09-12-2013, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

The screen could be hung via a French cleat, or hinged to swing up. I'd be thinking around the 100" mark for the scren

Screen size could be limited by the riser height. The second row needs to be able to see the bottom of the screen (over front row
seated heads). I wouldn't assume anything regarding riser height. Start the design with seating and you can plant eyes and ears.

Plywood floor is fine. Are you after a sound proofed room, or simply want a low noise floor in the theater?

The door in the side wall would work, but watch the door swing carefully.

Speakers behind a woven AT screen should be 6" off the backside of the screen fabric, to avoid timbre shifting. Skip reclining seats,
and maybe consider a baffle wall front wall to keep the front depth as shallow as possible. It would be a tight build so careful placement
of inches would be necessary.