Reefdvr's dedicated theater build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 296
The Shoreline Theater it has been named.

I am in the beginnings of my theater build. I have the architect coming Wednesday and the builder coming Monday to get things started. He is my friend, so he is over once in a while anyway. When the plans are done, the work will start. I am hoping by October or earlier.

Looking for ideas, mostly projector and screens along with wiring and in wall surrounds. Probably a whole lot more as well LOL.

My system of present will most likely transfer over to the theater, however I will probably make changes to the amps/pre pro

JTR Noesis 212HT's L,R
JTR Noesis 228HT center
2X PSA Triax subs (Waiting for delivery)
Oppp BD 103
Panamax 5400
Denon 4520
Emotiva XPA-3

Pictures and info to follow as they happen. Thanks in advance for any help or ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-11-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Architect just left a bit ago and we have some ideas and the plans will now begin. Gotta get some zoning and building info before we get down to brass tacks, but I will get that done today.

I have a few noob questions as I have no idea where to begin. I notice some theaters have front stages, what is the reason for the stage? Do they serve a purpose other than looks. I have seen them filled with sand, just wondering why that is.

I am still deciding if I am going with the AT screen or if I am going to build seperate boxes for the speakers (JTR Noesis 212's) and cover with AT material. I am also thinking of in wall for all my surrounds. I would like to do an 11.4 surround system. Does anyone have any advise on in wall surrounds. Single Coaxial surrounds would be my first choice as I love the sound of the JTR single 8's. I am also following Beast's thread on his coaxial surround build.

Will need lots of help with projectors, I plan on buying the projector near the end to help keep things moving. wink.gif I also want to get the latest. What brands of projectors are the best and should I look at ?

Thanks
post #3 of 6 Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Your theater architect should be able to answer every one of those questions.

Shawn Byrne
Erskine Group
HAA Design Certified -THX Certified Professional

Design-Video & Audio Calibration Information

The original Pro Theater Layout
post #5 of 6 Old 09-16-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks DC. I will be busy reading up on all this. BTW, the Rawlingsway theater is beautiful. Definatly my taste!! Considering that I am using new construction to build my dedicated theater, It will be sometime before my room looks that due to the cost of all the new construction, but I will get there. I do have a little advantage that I have all my audio already, so I am really looking at a projector, screen and seating. From what I have been reading, a theater is never finished, I will get there.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-20-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My room is a 16X14 room it has 8 windows and 1 door that leads outside The room also has a sliding glass door to access the room from the house, which I will convert to French doors to access the theater. The room was a back porch that we redid years ago. We sheet rocked it and carpeted it and have been using it as a pool house and also as a entertaining/bar room in the summers. The room does not have any HVAC. The room is also on a concrete slab.

I have talked to a number of people about plans for the room and I think we are not connecting on to what I want and also more than I want to spend on just simple plans. So, I am going at this alone with my contractor and some help my peeps at AVS wink.gif Anyone willing to give me some helpful advise, I would be more than gracious . You can also count yourself in for the grand opening of my little theater tongue.gif if it ever gets done.

I basically want a very simple room with a row of 4 seats and a projector that I can call a theater. My plan is the gut the room and rewire all the electric and add one of the newer single room duct less air-conditioning/heat pump units. I also want to do ceiling with a starry sky mural. I want to remove all the windows, reframe the room, add all new 20amp electric and get it wired for a 7.2 surround sound theater and also a projector. My question is, what materials do I use to help sound proof the room. I am not going crazy with acousical pannels, I just want to insulate and sheetrock and anything else that needs to be done to sound proof.

If anyone can steer me in the direction of a similar build thread or advise on how to and what to use, I would appreciate it.

Thanks Reef smile.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page