Help with New Home Build Media Room Design - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I usually just browse and read, but I am stuck on my design and wanted to chime in to the experts. I only have another couple of days to make a decision, and I thought I was ready, but beginning to doubt it now. I have attached a couple pictures that hopefully depict what I will try to explain in this post. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

So my dedicated media room has a slightly awkward design as it is at 17.5L and 13.67w. I would like to put my screen on the 13 ft wall as be able to have two rows of at least 3 chairs and have a theater feel to it. One problem is I have a window on the opposite end of the room, and the window sits in a slight dip in the wall. It is difficult to explain but I have tried to draw it in my attachment. So my plan was to have someone come out and build a wall and essentially cover the window, but do not remove it as to keep its look from the outside of the home, since this window is in the front of the house upstairs. The wall will also have to be built forward so that it is flush. I do not think this will cost much, and I would never use this window anyways so I am not really concerned with this part. If I am to use this wall this is the only thing I am willing to do as I do not want any kind of stand up, or hanging screen, or pull down.

My problem is the entry, the platform, and the seating. Where the door is supposed to be I cannot have a platform too close to it, as that is where you enter the room. So the platform would have to be built about 3 feet from the doors as they will most likely need to open inward, as this is a small hall once you come up the stairs. So I could build the platform, but in a 13.67w room, it could only be 9ft long. So I had decided to make the entry to the room from the game room on the other side. The problem with this entry is the actual platform length and the seating. If my depth of the platform is 7ft, I can't really have fully extended recliners in the back row, because you enter the room behind them.. Fully extended most I see online are around 60-65 inches.. So that would only leave me about 20 inches total to get in a room, and also walk in front of someone reclined, so it is not possible. A couch that is 35-40 inches deep would probably work, as it would give me up to 4 total feet to work with, to which maybe 2.5 feet behind, and 1.5 ft in front. I didn't really like the idea of coming into a room directly behind a couch though. I could always make the platform deeper, but I really wanted the 1st row to have at least 10 feet so that I could put a screen in of around 120 inches or so, 16:9.. (8.7ft wide)

My other option is to give up on the second row.. Leave the entry as is, and put the screen on the same wall that you enter in. This room would not have a theater feel, but it would allow me to put a very large screen as my couch would sit close to wall at about 13 feet away.

I am torn on this, and would like to hear what ideas you guys have, or at least what method you would chose. I know the long wall probably makes more sense, but I was trying to get the immersive feeling of a theater, but I don't want to do it if what I am working with really isn't logical.

Thanks!
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
LEAD Technologies Inc. V1.01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-12-2013, 04:14 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 612
raise the door to riser height and put a step up outside the door. Switch the swing of the door(s) so that they open out. Make it a grand entrance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

raise the door to riser height and put a step up outside the door. Switch the swing of the door(s) so that they open out. Make it a grand entrance.

The original changes I prefer which are the first picture allow for the step up outside in the game room. This is where there is a niche built between the two air ducts that is 2 feet deep. The entrance there, how we proposed to change it would definitely be more grand, but like I was saying it causes the problem of entering the seating from behind as I discussed in the op.

The way the standard room is built (picture 2), the door would be fantastic IF I thought they would put a step outside to go up onto 12" platform, but that area there is a small hall right after you come up the staircase so we are pretty certain due to code that they will not build a step up out there, nor will they probably allow doors to open outward as your room would probably be too tight there. Even if I can get them to do that, it would make the room perfect on the inside for what I want, but it still wouldn't have as grand an entrance as the one in the top picture, and it might be too snug of a hallway for my liking. Where basically the doors would need to be closed to get by into the game room, or you could trip over small step on way to game room.

But yes, I guess what I am looking for is how you guys, who have looked at this stuff far more then I have would use a room and a circumstance such as this. At the time, my wife is the only opinion, and as a woman with a new house, her opinion will always side on aesthetics and not functionality.
post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2013, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
the position of the door would be tough - you could build the riser so that you would have to step up when you get in the room but it think with the angled position of the door the doors would be better to swing out to make that work. i had them switch my doors to swing out so that i did not need as much room between the riser and entrance. though the doors in may case are next an open bonus room. look at the black and gold thread - i think they had a room that had an odd positioned wall for the back row. perhaps you could have the right door always locked and build the riser to go in front of it then angle the riser out so that you can walk in freely creating a small walk way - between the riser and left door-

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page