what is the STC of ultralight drywall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 09-14-2013, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 15
How does it compare to standard drywall?
I goofed and bought the ultralight instead of the regular, wondering how much difference it is and worth loading,unloading,reloading,andreunloading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 05:05 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 616
you should be using two layers of 5/8 drywall. take back the 1/2 inch light weight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PROJECTS:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Fwiw it was 5/8 lightweight, still necessary to bring back?
Or together with the green glue and 2nd layer is it reasonable that it will work
post #4 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
if you are putting in the investment to do everything is correct I wouldn't skimp on the drywall - I think it's something like 30% lighter isn't it? That would be less mass at each layer. Do it once and do it right

JJ
post #5 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 30
If I recall correctly, STC only measures down to 125 Hz. Home theatres have (or should have) significant sound energy below that down to 30 Hz and lower. And that is where the additional mass makes the big difference, at the low frequencies. So STC is not the number you should be using here.

Send back the lite drywall, and get the 5/8" fire-rated (heavy) drywall.

post #6 of 16 Old 09-15-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ok I'm convinced thanks
post #7 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
Careful. Sheetrock brand does have firecode X 5/8" drywall in an ultralight variety. It weighs just a hair more than traditional 1/2"

post #8 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 01:43 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Just had a conversation today with my local drywall supplier. They can't can't get anything other than lightweight 1/2 now. But their 5/8 is still heavy.

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Special Member

I figured that would happen. Ted was seriously disappointed when I didn't return my shipment of ultralight, but I decided to make do (especially since I was/am building with two layers plus OSB) The website says "up to 15% lighter" than traditional firecode X. 5/8 times 85% gives just over .5, so it's still about 6% heavier than traditional 1/2, and for 99.99% of their customers, the light weight is a great selling point - so why would they keep making the old stuff unless the costs were seriously different (and they're not).

post #10 of 16 Old 09-16-2013, 05:46 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Lighter means less shipping costs, so we get less for a premium price and we are being told it's better.

PROJECTS:

post #11 of 16 Old 09-17-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just finished taking down old wall. Tomorrow putting up regular 5/8 inch
post #12 of 16 Old 08-07-2014, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Should I use lite rock drywall or the old heavy drywall

I have a local company that sells both types of drywall. For the same price. I initially told them I want the old heavy drywall. The sales guy who seems really knowledgable and helpful told me that they have found that the new lite rock board while not as heavy is more dense when it comes to sound transmission. He explained it by talking about how it is a synthetic by product of gypsum. Any thoughts before I pull the trigger.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-07-2014, 08:41 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Ask to see a published impartial test result. If they can't produce one, walk away from the lightweight. I'm open minded but "show me the data" not just a salesman's word on it.

PROJECTS:

post #14 of 16 Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

^Agreed, but I still would encourage use of the heavy stuff. As LeBon mentioned in post 5 above, STC (and almost all other lab tests) don't test sound transmission at low bass frequencies. The extra mass in an isolated damped partition functions to push down the resonant frequency. Below the resonant frequency, isolation efforts are much less effective; so it's important to keep that resonance as low as possible.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowblitzing View Post
they have found that the new lite rock board while not as heavy is more dense
Given boards of the same physical dimensions, this is literally impossible. Anyone who claims that doesn't know what density is.

Living Room: Denon 2113ci + BIC V1020 + Panasonic BDT220 + AppleTV + uVerse DVR + Panasonic P42S2 plasma
Theater: Denon 2313ci + Klipsch RW12d + Panasonic BDT220 + Mac mini + uVerse wired receiver + Epson 8350 PJ + 100" screen
post #16 of 16 Old 08-09-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeRobb View Post
Given boards of the same physical dimensions, this is literally impossible. Anyone who claims that doesn't know what density is.
Exactly.

Density = Mass / Volume

Assuming volume stays the same for the drywall (LxWxD), and the mass is less (it is lighter!), then there is no way density can be equal or greater than the old school drywall.

I think of the lightweight drywall like the "whipped" butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, etc. spreads = add air, etc. to reduce the actual amount material contained in it, and sell it for the similar cost.

No thanks.

John
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page