My First Home Theater, need some recommendations. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-14-2013, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

This is my very first home theater. I have done all the work myself except for the moving of some plumbing, (don't trust my plumbing). I also hired some contractors to do the finish mud and taping of the rooms. I pre wired the room for 7.1 surround.

The room size is 14ft wide by 19ft long.

As of right now i have a Samsung 1080p projector and a 100 inch diagonal at screen.

The question i have is, i purposely got the at screen so that i can put the speakers behind it but, running into some placement issues due to not enough planning on my part. So how far apart are the front speakers suppose to be from each other. I had wanted them to be on the inside edge of the screen, but the way the 2x4s are i am going to have to mount them closer to the center channel. My other option is to mount the L And R speakers on the outside of the screen.

I have 8inch BIC flush mounts for from and 6.5 flush for rear.

Any help would help

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 10:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
A floor plan would help us evaluate your problem. However, from the picture, I would mount the L & R outside the screen. The important one to get behind the screen is the center, which is where all the dialogue comes from.

I am planning a 12 ft. wide 2.35:1 AT screen, and Erskine is recommending that I place my L & R speakers outside the screen.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

When you say floor plan you mean draw it up with where the couch may go and room dimensions? Don't have an exact on couch placement. The room is 14 ft wide side to side of the stage. And 19ft long, screen wall to back of room. Putting a sectional couch in with the sweet spot being 10-13ft back. My other maybe issue is, is the screen too low. I read some where that it needs to be 3ft from floor.

Below is the proposed position of the front speakers.

This is what the other side of the room looks like. The rear speakers will flush above the cabinets

This is a pic of the side surrounds mounted on the ceiling.
post #4 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 01:03 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I would pull the L/R in from the side walls a bit to minimize reflections. Even after moving them in I would consider some acoustical treatements at the first reflection points, Within the year you will wonder why did you get such a small screen?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

I would pull the L/R in from the side walls a bit to minimize reflections. Even after moving them in I would consider some acoustical treatements at the first reflection points, Within the year you will wonder why did you get such a small screen?

Thank for the suggestion on speakers. Small screen??? I thought i was doing good with 100. I can always go bigger, gives me room to grow. Not bad for my first little theater.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 04:51 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
I made the identical 100 inch 16:9 screen decision when I built my first theater

http://www.avsforum.com/t/855958/what-id-do-differently-next-time/0_40#post_10690723

You will be fine for 16:9 content but wanting more when you watch a letter boxed 2:35 movie.

When I upgraded my theater I kept the same height as my original screen but just switched it out to a 2.35 wide format.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-16-2013, 10:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
+1 on Big's advice. Also, I would move the L-R speakers down so that the tweeters are the same height as your Center channel.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ok Mr. Big mouth This is my options for the front speakers after locating the 2x6 behind the wall. The blue tape is the studs. Keep in mind my upgrade to the 2:35 a year from now. Which location is my best option.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page