Seeking advice on sale of high end home theater system - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello gents (and ladies?),

I see that there is a classified section on this forum but before I jump in I would like to solicit your guidance on whether and, if so, how to offer for sale a set of equipment I have and no longer need.

My home theater was purchased new in 2004, I have thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of it and it all continues to be in as new condition, but I have moved (all equipment in original packaging) and am no longer in a position to use this system. It is comprised of a 5.1 rosewood Aerial speaker system (including the formidable SW-12 subwoofer), Theta electronics (CasaBlanca III, Dreadnaught II and Compli), Transparent (and some Tributaries) interconnects and speaker cables, and cherry Synergy equipment racks. This is a turnkey system (including a working, albeit outdated, Pronto universal remote) but for the Pioneer Elite HD plasma television I left behind for the people who bought the house out of which I just recently moved.

I would appreciate any input you may have on any or all of the following questions:

Is this forum an appropriate place to offer this equipment for sale?
Is it best to offer as a system or should I parcel it out in pieces?
What discount to original invoice would be an appropriate sale price?
Is it reasonable to expect local pickup only (in Palm Beach county, FL)?
Anything else I should know or be thinking about in this endeavor?

Thank you so much in advance for your guidance.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
http://www.avsforum.com/f/208/classifieds
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1215 View Post

Is this forum an appropriate place to offer this equipment for sale?
Is it best to offer as a system or should I parcel it out in pieces?
What discount to original invoice would be an appropriate sale price?
Is it reasonable to expect local pickup only (in Palm Beach county, FL)?
Anything else I should know or be thinking about in this endeavor?

Yes, in the Classifieds. Absolutely want to offer the pieces individually and give a "bundle" price to entice folks. Take a look at sold listings on eBay and the Audiogon Bluebook for comparable sales figures. Be prepared to take a bath on the electronics and the cables.

If you have the original boxes, you should absolutely consider shipping to non-local buyers as this is audiophile gear with a limited audience - you'll get better results offering to the whole country. Shipping costs can be easily calculated on UPS/Fedex websites. If you will restrict to local buyers only, Craigslist would be the other place to list.

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #4 of 8 Old 09-17-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Let me know what you find out soon as my whole reference system... 7.2 speakers, subs, amps, DSPs (EQ) and all are going up for sale as I replace all. Somebody will be very pleased.smile.gif

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #5 of 8 Old 09-18-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff, lots of good guidance here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Yes, in the Classifieds. Absolutely want to offer the pieces individually and give a "bundle" price to entice folks. Take a look at sold listings on eBay and the Audiogon Bluebook for comparable sales figures. Be prepared to take a bath on the electronics and the cables.

If you have the original boxes, you should absolutely consider shipping to non-local buyers as this is audiophile gear with a limited audience - you'll get better results offering to the whole country. Shipping costs can be easily calculated on UPS/Fedex websites. If you will restrict to local buyers only, Craigslist would be the other place to list.

Jeff
post #6 of 8 Old 09-27-2013, 05:10 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd skip EBay, post on AudioGon, I've found more serious buyers and less low ball offers. Besides 'mint' condition means 2 different things on Audiogon & EBay

This ain't no party, this ain't no disco
post #7 of 8 Old 09-27-2013, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks tjk.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

hey there all,

just wanted to report back after you were kind enough to provide input to my questions.

i have decided to reorient my system to fit the more diminutive room in my new home. the 5.1 system will be turned into a 3.1 system with a pair of 7Bs, a CC3B and the SW12 subwoofer. the surrounds will be eliminated, the CBIII will be reprogrammed and the 5x225 Dreadnaught will enable bi-amping to either L/R or CC. the pair of SR3Ms will be offered for sale. it's not perfect but it is better than doing without.

anyway, more than half the system use has been for music listening only so the surrounds are not critical here.

thanks for your interest and support,

dave1215
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page