Buzzing noise in electronics induced from dimmers, need suggestions to fix. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,

I am finishing my basement to include theatre room and bar area. Everything was coming along great, plenty of 20A circuits and I tested my electronics downstairs to make sure there was no buzzing present before I put up the drywall.

I started working on the accent lighting which includes a few sets of dimmers. When the dimmers are on in the basement, all my electronics upstairs exhibit a horrible buzzing noise. You can even hear the TV's power supply buzzing. I turn the dimmers off downstairs and the buzzing stops.

I can't wrap my head around what is going on here, the upstairs and downstairs are on separate circuits. They both are connected to a common ground, that being the main ground for the house.

Has anyone experienced something similar before?

I am using this dimmer:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_211632-539-D-600PH-DK_0__?productId=1059607&Ntt=lutron+rotary&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dlutron%2Brotary&facetInfo=

I really appreciate your help, my next plan of action is to take the dimmer out of the equation and install a normal light switch to see if the buzzing is still heard.

I appreciate your help,

Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 02:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
This sounds like the RFI interference typical of solid-state dimmers. The Lutron units should have integral RFI filters, but you may have a bad one. Disconnect them one at a time to see if the noise can be associated with one of the dimmers. Otherwise you can try outboard RFI filter(s) on the line side of the dimmers. Next would be to try to find a quieter dimmer.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 03:44 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 511
I had dimmer switches in my office within 5 ft of my equipment stack. When I upgraded from a Yamaha to a Denon receiver I picked up an annoying buzz. Finally discovered the source and decided I could live without the dimmers. Buzz is gone.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Will check it out tonight. It probably doesn't help that I have 7 total dimmers installed. Pardon my ignorance but are there any dimmers that don't produce RFI? LeBon mentioned this was typical behavior of solid-state dimmers as if there might be another type not susceptible to RFI.

Thanks again for your input!

-Tony
post #5 of 5 Old 09-23-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My eperience has been that the Lutron dimmers are OK with respect to RFI, but that the cheapies omit the RFI filtering. I understand that yours are Lutron. That's why I suspect a bad dimmer (failure in the RFI filter section).
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page