Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #181 of 184 Old 09-17-2014, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 383
The Super 8 clip is my goto surround sound theater demo. People love it.
superleo likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 184 Old 09-17-2014, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 244
My favorite of the favorites is Finding Nemo. Great surround, great bass, great animation. "Mine!"

That said, I recently had someone over to buy a subwoofer. I played Dolby Spheres, and his wife literally turned around in her seat.
Priceless!

Michael
superleo likes this.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #183 of 184 Old 09-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by superleo View Post
The difference in volume might be that the Super 8 clip audio is DOLBY TruHD while the other ones are DTS-HD. Most Receivers have a way to adjust for this through their setup menu.

There was no adjustment or anything else done to the audio or video on these clips. They are the exact copy from the original, other than cut as clips for size.
Nah, not to do with Dolby True HD cause there are other clips on the disc also in Dolby True-HD.
I think it is because that Super 8 clip is so heavy on all the channels (also the surrounds!) that it comes of louder as the other clips.
@LastButNotLeast : I changed the volume of the sub from -9 to -5.5 dB. That sounds better to me.
I also have to mention that the clips on this demo disc have more heavy bass (for example : War of the worlds, Flight of the Phoenix, DTS Demo) when compared to the "Reference 2 Bass". Note that the only clip I did not play so far on Ref. 2 Bass is the "Pulse" clip My subwoofer is only a week old, I want to give it some time to settle

I also had some choppy play when playing this demo disc and the Ref. 2 Bass demo disc. Never happened to me on my Oppo-103. Strange thing.

Panasonic TX-P50GT60 / Marantz SR5004 / 4 x KEF HTS 3001 SE (front + rear) + HTC 3001 SE (centre) + REL T-9 sub / Oppo BDP-103EU (MultiRegion+MultiZone)

Last edited by Daffietje; 09-17-2014 at 01:43 PM.
post #184 of 184 Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Keep in mind that "lots" of bass isn't the same as "deep" bass.
If your system isn't calibrated, your sub probably has a peak around 40Hz, which gives most people the "wow" factor. If your system is calibrated to flat, the sound is very different.
I used to get "big" sound on the Jericho track with the music when the rocket launchers were turning. Impressive, but not "right." EQ'd, the music is even across the spectrum, and the big "boom" is saved for the landing of the rocket, as you would expect.
See some of the illustrations here:
The New Master List of BASS in Movies with Frequency Charts
I keep bringing this up, but I think it's important, re: Pulse:
The "thump, thump, thump" is cool, but if you can't hear her heavy breathing, feet dragging on the floor, and the rustle of paper as she turns the corner, your bass is drowning out the more important effects of the scene. And of anything else you may listen to. Which is why measurement and EQ are so important.
Choppy play is usually a mismatch between player and brand of disc. I use an HTPC, so I'm afraid I can't offer any specific advice. You may want to look on a thread dedicated to your player; I'm sure people there would have recommendations.
Enjoy!
Michael

Downloadable FREE demo discs:

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page