Can you point me in the right direction? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

I am just starting a dedicated theater build along with finishing my basement.

Yep I've been spending the past several nights since finding this forum reading until my mind is spinning.

I have a basic question and I'm not sure where to ask so if this isn't the place please redirect me.

Currently I'm getting ready to start running speaker wire and all the other wires needed for my theater.

I am going to have a separate closet for all my a/v equipment and want to make sure I run all the needed and maybe future expansion wiring now from the closet to the space behind the AT screen.

What do I need to run other than speaker wire and power? Do I run Cat5 for an IR extender and how many of them should I run?

Also what wiring other than power and HDMI do I need to run for my projector? I've never installed one before. Does it need some sort of cable for IR also since it will be above my head when watching movies?

btw I love this forum.

Thank you,

Erick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 55
First....Welcome!

You'll get some great advice here. Think about if you'd ever want to run additional speakers for NEO:X or one of the other surround formats that add beyond 7.1. Do you want multiple subs? I'd run a smurf tube to the front and back of room for future needs. Also, you'll want a cat5/6 to your projector.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 19
It sort of depends on how future-proof you want to be. Cat6 is fairly universal. You could run that almost anywhere and find a use for it. You'd need 2 up to the projector though. I'm not sure what the industry is going to move to when 4k and 8k hit the markets, but the current hdmi won't cut it. That's why I actually ran pvc pipe from my equipment area to my projector. I honestly couldn't think of anything else I needed besides 1 hdmi line and 2 cat6 cables, but I knew I'd regret not leaving a pathway for something else.

My build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Can someone please tell me why use cat6 over cat5?
I currently have a spool of cat5 from past projects and would like to use if possible.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 204
I got solid advice in my thread (here, but continue reading for the back-and-forth) about extra low-voltage cable. Basically, Cat5 or Cat5e will be fine for most uses you may have, but if you want to be able to replace HDMI with a video over CatX balun system, you'll probably need shielded Cat6.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 06:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
If everything is wide open think about running a 2 inch electrical conduit (The gray stuff) from the equipment stack area to behind the screen wall and another to the projector location. If the run is difficult I grab the Carlon Resiguard flexible conduit. I usually put the conduits in place then pull all the wires in after the theater is built and equipment purchased. There have been plenty of horror stories of drywall mud/dust ruining HDMI cables.

For instance if you end up with active speakers or subs that changes the wiring requirements beyond speaker wire. If you think you might go for a 4K projector that is a higher standard of wiring than 2K.

For the projector I like to run an outlet on the ceiling to a power inlet in the equipment stack area and run the projector off a UPS/line protector unit. If your area is prone to power outages you don't want to have the power fail and not be able to cycle the unit through a cool down cycle.

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 9 Old 09-30-2013, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like another trip to home depot for some conduit as this sounds like a good idea to have in place.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 04:57 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 618
FYI HD doesn't carry the large diameter flex conduit just the rigid. use the sweeping curves sold in the same aisle not plumbing fittings.

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 9 Old 10-01-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Got my conduit tube installed today, about 20ft worth. Used the 2" pvc conduit that is specifically designed for this purpose with the large curves.

Maybe I will start a build thread although it will be slow since I am also installing a security alarm and finishing the rest of the basement at the same time.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page