HT completely destoyed - looking for custom installer recommendations - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My basement was flooded with 6' of water and mud during the flooding in Boulder, CO a couple of weeks ago. The HT was a complete loss.

The basement and HT where finished 2-3 years ago. I did all the work myself, but no longer have the time or energy to do so. I am looking for recommendations for custom installers in the Denver/Boulder area to rebuild the theater.

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Sniff, sniff, that is the saddest photo I have ever seen. I feel for you.
post #3 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 08:13 AM
AnalysisParalysis Analyst

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 283
DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE!!! So sorry to see that!! I am glad to hear everybody is safe and only "the stuff" was destroyed.

If I could make a suggestion, I'd start my search at CEDIA.org for a qualified company at this link: http://www.cedia.org/find-a-cedia-professional/search

Good luck with the rebuild.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

We were quite lucky in that we only lost the basement, many people lost there entire home.

I tried the CEDIA search but it is difficult to tell which company's really do theater construction. I am looking for someone to build the proscenium & seating riser, install the acoustic treatments and fabric on the walls,...
post #5 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I'm sorry that I don't have any constructive input here, redface.gif but I agree with all of the above. I saw this shortly after you posted it...immediately signed off of AVS and hid under my desk until the anxiety/shock subsided. eek.gif

I wish you the best of luck with resolving that nightmare.

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #6 of 24 Old 10-01-2013, 11:30 AM

You could have Dennis Erskine's crew at the Erskine Group give you a quote to submit to your insurance (hopefully you're covered!). The crews travel around the US, although you may have to wait because they are busy.

There was a place called ListenUp! in Denver that, in my quick review of the available companies in a 50 mile radius of Boulder, looked like the major professional player in the area and quite experienced and capable of getting done what you need to have finished.

Here's a link to their portfolio on their website:
http://www.listenup.com/our-portfolio/reference-portfolio/
post #7 of 24 Old 10-02-2013, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 190
sorry for your situation, this may be a chance for you to apply some lessons learned for HT 2.0, as nobody does HT 1.0 just perfect.
I 2nd the Erskine Group for a quote, how many quotes does your insurance require?
post #8 of 24 Old 10-02-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

I have found a local company that does acoustic treatments and fabric, and have also contacted the Erskine Group. In my particular case, the insurance situation is complicated and still being sorted. Hopefully, once resolved, there will be some insurance money.

For anyone else with a finished basement, I would suggest talking with your insurance agent so that you fully understand your coverage. As most people in Boulder are learning, insurance is almost worthless for basement flooding. You can get flood insurance only if you live in a floodplain. If you do have flood insurance, it does not cover any of the contents of your basement, only things considered attached to the home, like a furnace or water heater. If you finished a basement in a floodplain, refinishing the basement is not covered. If you do not live in a floodplain (I don't), it is my understanding that no insurance covers you for surface water or ground water that gets into your basement -- you are basically not covered. The one exception is that you may have a rider that offers very limited coverage if your sewer or sump pits back up into the basement. My rider is similar to flood insurance in that it only covers things attached to the home (that you can't carry upstairs), and a freezer and the food in the freezer (but not a refrigerator and it's food). For a lot of people, I think the only recovery money will be coming from FEMA, who has been incredibly efficient.
post #9 of 24 Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM

Liked: 15
Wow, that picture is heartbreaking. Sorry for your loss but glad it's only stuff.

I live in Calgary and we had extensive flooding at the end of June. It didn't affect us personally, other than being off work for a week due to the downtown core being shut, but a lot of people were. The difference in Canada is that damage from overland flooding isn't covered by insurance companies and as a residential customer you cannot buy insurance for it. Sewer back-up is covered and leaks are covered but flooding is not.

An Aspen Woods Theater - Under Construction

post #10 of 24 Old 10-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I only had a couple inches of water in my basement and I was beside myself. This is terrible! I wish you all the best on the rebuild.

The MacBeth Theater (flood resilient build)

Play like a Raven

post #11 of 24 Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Wow. I hope you are able to put all of this behind you without too much trouble. Wishing you the best.
post #12 of 24 Old 10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavy View Post

You can get flood insurance only if you live in a floodplain. If you do have flood insurance, it does not cover any of the contents of your basement, only things considered attached to the home, like a furnace or water heater. If you finished a basement in a floodplain, refinishing the basement is not covered. If you do not live in a floodplain (I don't), it is my understanding that no insurance covers you for surface water or ground water that gets into your basement -- you are basically not covered.

We're closing on our new house tomorrow and a lot of your information above contradicts the extensive flood insurance information and coverage that I researched.

Our new house isn't in a flood plain, but coverage is still available, for both the house and the basement contents. The nearest 500-year flood plain is over a mile away. Sure, Boulder CO is different than Northern VA, but I was surprised at how standardized and regulated flood insurance is, compared to other insurance options.

"You can get flood insurance only if you live in a floodplain."

Are you very sure about this? I'd agree that flood insurance is required by most lenders only if you live in a flood plain, but that's a far stretch from saying that uou can get flood insurance only if you live in a floodplain.

If you want flood insurance, please check with your insurance agent for coverage options (for structure and contents).
post #13 of 24 Old 10-03-2013, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

I will give my agent a call again tomorrow for some clarification. Perhaps she meant to say there is now way to insure either basement improvements or contents. I just found this on the colorado.gov website..

Coverage in Basements
National Flood Insurance covers structural elements, essential equipment and other basic items normally located in a basement, such as:
Unfinished drywall for walls and ceilings, including nonflammable insulation
Electrical junction and circuit breaker boxes, and required utility connections
Central air-conditioning units
Furnaces, hot-water heaters, fuel tanks and the fuel inside them, and heat pumps
Light fixtures
Foundation elements
Cleanup.
However, National Flood Insurance doesn't cover basement improvements such as finished walls, floors or ceilings, or personal belongings that may be kept in a basement, such as furniture and other contents.
post #14 of 24 Old 10-03-2013, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

So, if your basement caught fire and the HT was damaged, would the fire insurance cover that??
Now you got me wondering basement coverage, ie non living space, vs living space coverage.

damage is damage; caused by water, fire, wind.....then of course acts of God/war clauses kick in ??
post #15 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

I just had a lengthy discussion with my insurance agent. State Farm (and she claims all other companies) no longer sell flood insurance. They all sell National Flood Insurance Policies (NFIP). You can buy this regardless of whether you live in a floodplain or not. If you do live in a floodplain it is very expensive, buy subsidized by the fed. govt. Maximum coverage is $250K for structure and $100K for contents. Even with flood insurance contents of basement are not covered. See coverage details in:

http://www.floodsmart.gov/toolkits/flood/downloads/NFIP-SummaryCoverage.pdf

If I had a fire in the basement or the basement flooded due a leak in the roof, the contents would be covered under my standard home owners policy.

It still seems there is no coverage for home theater w/ equipment if flooded in a basement.
post #16 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM

So sorry to see that. Can't do nothing but shake my head and feel for you. Still thank you for posting this as now I know I have to really rethink my own insurance.
post #17 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just had a lengthy discussion with my insurance agent. State Farm (and she claims all other companies) no longer sell flood insurance. They all sell National Flood Insurance Policies (NFIP). You can buy this regardless of whether you live in a floodplain or not. If you do live in a floodplain it is very expensive, buy subsidized by the fed. govt. Maximum coverage is $250K for structure and $100K for contents. Even with flood insurance contents of basement are not covered. See coverage details in:

http://www.floodsmart.gov/toolkits/flood/downloads/NFIP-SummaryCoverage.pdf

If I had a fire in the basement or the basement flooded due a leak in the roof, the contents would be covered under my standard home owners policy.

It still seems there is no coverage for home theater w/ equipment if flooded in a basement.

or if when you pull a permit, and re-classify the basement to living space then its no longer a basement?
As its included in your living space sq ft, your appraisal goes up with that, taxed, etc...

I'm no expert, but that seems fair and just, when a basement is no longer a basement...
post #18 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

It does seem fair and just, but I don't think that is how it works. From the NFIP document attached above...

"Flood insurance coverage is limited in areas below the lowest elevated floor" and a basement is always below the lowest elevated floor.

I would check with your insurance agent. If you find some way to cover basement improvement and contents, please let us know.
post #19 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 10:40 AM

That stinks. I take it you had to get out of the house quickly and weren't able to monitor the situation in the basement let alone have the chance to move all the equipment and everything else out to higher ground....

Again, sorry to hear about that! I suppose the saving grace is that you'll get brand new mechanical systems.
post #20 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Unknown to us, the window well's filled up, eventually blowing in the windows. Quite an explosion. Basement filled very quickly after that. If my wife or I had been down there when they blew, I think we could have easily been pinned under something and drowned.

Got the hot water heater last week. A hot shower never felt so good. Furnace next week. It would be nice to have now as it is snowing today, but we have a wood burning fireplace so should be able to stay reasonably warm.
post #21 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It does seem fair and just, but I don't think that is how it works. From the NFIP document attached above...

"Flood insurance coverage is limited in areas below the lowest elevated floor" and a basement is always below the lowest elevated floor.

I would check with your insurance agent. If you find some way to cover basement improvement and contents, please let us know.

I've got meemic insurance here in Michigan, as my wife is a teacher and we get good bundled deal home + boat + car..

Called, spoke with my direct rep....and "holy smokes batman!", when I finished my basement/HT in 2009 I never added that to the home rider!
So, that just got done today......

Now, specifically on flood insurance she did not know in depth the add on riders I could elect for, just general, however I was given "corporate" # to call on, so later I will do that. Even though not my potential issue, just for fact based and info sharing.

Saw your other post, glad you got hot H20, and hopefully soon heat....puts our other discussions about acoustics, PJ's, etc in a different light.
post #22 of 24 Old 10-04-2013, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Acoustics, PJ's discussions are far more entertaining, but hopefully anyone reading this thread checks on their insurance. We are near the top of a hill and never expected any flooding... it could happen in the least expected places.

I went to grad school in Ann Arbor and used to Mtn bike in a state park near there. There were lots of great trails within a few minutes of Boulder. It will probably be a long while before they are accessible again.
post #23 of 24 Old 10-05-2013, 04:21 AM

It has definitely inspired me to call my insurance carrier to clarify exactly what is covered and what is not covered under "personal contents", and if the location of the contents matters - especially since all of my house equipment will be co-located in the basement in two large racks. As it turns out, even if my house was hit by lightning, there are limitations on what would be covered and the electronics exceed "normal" coverage levels and require a rider. To get coverage I have to log the manufacturer, model number, serial number and proof of purchase (if available) so coverage can take effect. I had not idea and assumed it would be covered under "contents". It's good that we can learn from the struggles of others - it's still a shame that it happened.
post #24 of 24 Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I went to grad school in Ann Arbor and used to Mtn bike in a state park near there. There were lots of great trails within a few minutes of Boulder. It will probably be a long while before they are accessible again.

Ahh, so you mean the famous 17-mile Potawatomi Trail!
One of the sweetest MTB trails in all of SE Michigan, MMBA Trail guide

Do you still ride?
My user name, "mtbdudex", is from my old-old AOL account name in the mid 1990's when I raced MTB bikes 1995-2000, did National races 1997-1998.
Post a photo of your MTB bike here., OT: Show Us Your Ride or photos of your other interests!!

I'm off to the U of M vs Minnesota 3:30pm game in a few minutes....on any give Saturday I root for 2 Michigan teams, then on that once/year big day I side with ...... MSU. rolleyes.gif
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page