White Oaks Cinema House and Theater Build - Page 4 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

Old 12-31-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Rumor has it you were thinking of using 16.......yes, 16 UXL's? eek.gifeek.gif

I've heard a pair of LMS-U's in a 10,000 cf shop and that was impressive!!

With the UXL close to LMS-U's across frequency spectrum.........and your room being above your garage............well, can you apply for earthquake insurance in Alabama? biggrin.gif

I would presume 16 -18" UM's or SI's on the agenda?

A) where do you put them all?
B) You will need to attach to Bonneville Dam power grid!!!! cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2013, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublewing11 View Post

Rumor has it you were thinking of using 16.......yes, 16 UXL's? eek.gifeek.gif

I've heard a pair of LMS-U's in a 10,000 cf shop and that was impressive!!

With the UXL close to LMS-U's across frequency spectrum.........and your room being above your garage............well, can you apply for earthquake insurance in Alabama? biggrin.gif

I would presume 16 -18" UM's or SI's on the agenda?

A) where do you put them all?
B) You will need to attach to Bonneville Dam power grid!!!! cool.gif

I was going to go with the UXL's if I could get them at the right price. The group buy price was great but I would like to keep the subs under $6,000. It looks like it is back to plan "A" and the SI's or Ultimax 18" depending on how the numbers come in once they are tested.

I plan on powering them with 4 IPR 7500's. I have 8 dedicated 20 amp circuits just for the 3 racks. I have another 4 15 amp circuits for the 4 panel boxes in the picture above. I had the electrician put a sub-panel just for the theater in the equipment closet. Power shouldn't be an issue smile.gif.

All of the subs are going behind the AT front stage. I plan on doing 4 sealed "towers" (tower - left - tower - center - tower - right - tower) at 96"H x 24"W x 3" D each.

I got a ton of work done over the past 4 days. The holiday break from work came at a perfect time. I worked from 8:00 AM until about 7:00 PM all four days. It gets dark here about 5:00 so I had to break out the spotlights to finish up.

I am headed to Vegas and the BCS game Thursday. Once I get back I am going to run all the wire. I have all the conduit run and everything ready to go. Now the easy part is just running the wire biggrin.gif

I plan on posting lots of pictures once all the wire is run. I am really glad I did it myself instead of having the electrician do it. It was fun and I learned a lot in the process.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

I am headed to... the BCS game Thursday.

I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

My wife and I have airfare and hotel and almost got tickets, but we went to the 2010 BCS game and told ourselves that it was a once-in-a-lifetime event. Never expected to be there again this year, especially after last season.

Cheer a little louder since we can't be there!

W'egl, w'egl, WDE!

-Clarence (AU CPE '89)
Old 01-01-2014, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

My wife and I have airfare and hotel and almost got tickets, but we went to the 2010 BCS game and told ourselves that it was a once-in-a-lifetime event. Never expected to be there again this year, especially after last season.

Cheer a little louder since we can't be there!

W'egl, w'egl, WDE!

-Clarence (AU CPE '89)

War Damn Eagle Clarence! You know that is the exact same thing I said to my wife in 2010 (once in a lifetime event). I told her it might be 50 years before we have the chance again so we better get to booking. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I still can't believe we are playing for it all again just 3 years later. Next year should be a good one too.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post

War Damn Eagle Clarence! You know that is the exact same thing I said to my wife in 2010 (once in a lifetime event). I told her it might be 50 years before we have the chance again so we better get to booking. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. I still can't believe we are playing for it all again just 3 years later. Next year should be a good one too.

Guys.....Guys......Guys!!!

You know your program has hit the pinnacle of college football when expectations are every year to be in the BCS National Championship game....................guess that's the life of a "Trojan!"

Evidently Auburn is still working towards those expectations! tongue.gif

Good luck and have fun........biggrin.gif

"Fight on!" V
Old 02-16-2014, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It has been a while since the last update. I finally got the wiring done. It was a lot of work and I am glad to have it over with. Here are some update pictures of the house, theater and equipment room I took today.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow......great progress!

Tough loss! Never thought you'd take it so hard! biggrin.gif
Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Ur build looks great! I just found it. I hear ya about the right tools. I have been buying stuff like crazy with finishing my basement now. It makes life much easier. When I built my home I just used my dad's buddies stuff since everything was up there when they were working but I should have started buying then to make it cheaper! Good luck with everything! I'll be watching.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It has only been 8 months since the last post so it might be time for an update.

We got moved into the new house 2 months ago and I have not had a whole lot of time to work on the theater or equipment room. The last couple of weekends I have had some time off so I was able to get a good bit of work done on the rack. I still have a lot of tidying up to do with the rack but I thought I would go ahead and post some pictures of the progress so far. All of the low voltage wiring, panel box installs, rack installs has been just me working on it so that is the reason things have take longer than I would have liked.

A lot of wiring to be added here. Everything is fed into the attic with (6) 4" PVC pipes I installed. I used can light trim in the ceiling to make it cleaner.

I have 5 20 amp circuits on the right side for the amps and another 4 20 amp circuits on the other side.

The whole left rack will be 13 different amps for the theater.

This is 2 55" TV's that will be used for scrolling movie posters. I plan on building frames around each TV to give it more of a movie poster look.

This is a shot of the lobby.

Looking into the theater. The rolls on the floor are serenity mat from Ted at the soundproofingcompany.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:23 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked: 873
Old 10-13-2014, 02:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Really nice. Who makes those in-wall boxes that's holding your network, cable, phone, etc?
Old 10-13-2014, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
Really nice. Who makes those in-wall boxes that's holding your network, cable, phone, etc?
Thanks. They are made by Channel Vision.

http://www.channelvision.com/product...closure-doors/
Old 10-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Looking great. I was starting to worry if this thing was ever gonna get off the ground. Keep the updates coming!
Old 10-13-2014, 05:18 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

It is football season so I imagine progress will be a little sketchy for a couple of months.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
It is football season so I imagine progress will be a little sketchy for a couple of months.
You are a smart man Jeff. Very smart.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Auburn is lucky Kid Kiffin is at 'Bama. As long as he stays, Roll Tide will continue to be a whimper!

Now if my Trojans can get rid of Kiffin's "evil twin" in Sark........USC can get back to college football dominance!

BTW, getting back to full complement of 85 Scollies might help too...,
Old 12-12-2014, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well I finally got the workshop functional. I wanted to get that area finished before I started the theater for obvious reasons. I still have a few things I want to add but at least I have a place to work now. Notice the Klipsch bookshelf speakers in each corner?

Last edited by auburnu008; 12-12-2014 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 573 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Jealous of that garage!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Auburnu... Garage floors should be in an art gallery lol. I'd be afraid of setting material down on it. What's next on the work list?
Old 12-12-2014, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Auburnu... Garage floors should be in an art gallery lol. I'd be afraid of setting material down on it. What's next on the work list?
Thanks. We did about 800 total square feet of garage. I have a unfinished storage room over by the sink also and the 2 car garage upstairs that we also covered with with epoxy. My wife and I were going to try to do it. We started one Saturday and did the storage room and after doing it about 10 minutes I thought hiring someone to do the rest of the 700 square feet would be a good idea haha. I have done them before with the water based epoxy kits and it is a breeze. This stuff we put down was 100% solids and was THICK and dried really fast! We also did a 2 part clear coat over the epoxy. I am really glad we had the pro's do it. I am really happy with how it turned out.

Next up on the list is getting the serenity mat and extra ply on the floor. BIG is coming sometime in February and that is when the real fun begins.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:05 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
BIG is coming sometime in February and that is when the real fun begins.
Big is scared to turn on his saw in a room that clean.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post
Big is scared to turn on his saw in a room that clean.
haha well that is what they make shop vac's for. I just bought a new so we can put it to work.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Can't wait for February then. With Big on board...this will be a killer build. Take lots of pics!
Old 12-12-2014, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69glamboy View Post
Can't wait for February then. With Big on board...this will be a killer build. Take lots of pics!
You and me both! It is going to be a dream come true. I promise the updates will be much better then.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Ah yeah! I'm getting excited to see some progress down here on the Plains (since I clearly can't make any ).

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Old 12-15-2014, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 609 Post(s)
Liked: 456
That garage is AWESOME!! I completely missed the speakers after seeing that floor, the garage cabinetry and the bazillion clamps on your wall-mounted rack. These seriously look like promotional pictures for a garage flooring system. Outstanding!!

Oh, and I have to agree with you on the Epoxy. I did my own 3-car garage and initially balked at the price of the high-gloss top coat but it has made all the difference and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

And by the way, thanks for the link on the Channel Vision structured wiring panels. My 50" wall box with the smoked plexi decorator cover was delivered last week.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
It has only been 8 months since the last post so it might be time for an update.

We got moved into the new house 2 months ago and I have not had a whole lot of time to work on the theater or equipment room. The last couple of weekends I have had some time off so I was able to get a good bit of work done on the rack. I still have a lot of tidying up to do with the rack but I thought I would go ahead and post some pictures of the progress so far. All of the low voltage wiring, panel box installs, rack installs has been just me working on it so that is the reason things have take longer than I would have liked.

A lot of wiring to be added here. Everything is fed into the attic with (6) 4" PVC pipes I installed. I used can light trim in the ceiling to make it cleaner.

I have 5 20 amp circuits on the right side for the amps and another 4 20 amp circuits on the other side.

The whole left rack will be 13 different amps for the theater.

This is 2 55" TV's that will be used for scrolling movie posters. I plan on building frames around each TV to give it more of a movie poster look.

This is a shot of the lobby.

Looking into the theater. The rolls on the floor are serenity mat from Ted at the soundproofingcompany.

Looks great. Nice and clean. What program u using for the movie posters. Also can all vs be orientated this way for posters?
Thanks
Jim
Old 12-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Effortless Actionary

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LOVE the build so far. You should check out The Garage Journal if you haven't already!

EDIT: just found your thread over there. Thanks for sharing!

-Erik

The Zen Garden HT - Move Along...There is Nothing To See Here.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post
Ah yeah! I'm getting excited to see some progress down here on the Plains (since I clearly can't make any ).
I think we all realize deadlines are for the birds after a while. I am looking forward to seeing yours get done. We will have to have a 2 part meet once we both get done.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcG View Post
That garage is AWESOME!! I completely missed the speakers after seeing that floor, the garage cabinetry and the bazillion clamps on your wall-mounted rack. These seriously look like promotional pictures for a garage flooring system. Outstanding!!

Oh, and I have to agree with you on the Epoxy. I did my own 3-car garage and initially balked at the price of the high-gloss top coat but it has made all the difference and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

And by the way, thanks for the link on the Channel Vision structured wiring panels. My 50" wall box with the smoked plexi decorator cover was delivered last week.
Thank you very much. I appreciate the kind words. My shop and theater are definitely the 2 main things I was looking forward to most with this new house.

I almost told them not to do the gloss coat after they put down the main coat because it looked really good without it. I wasn't sure how the gloss would turn out but I am really glad they did it. Not only does it look better but the added protection is nice to have.

I am really surprised there are not more people with those channel vision plexi doors. I wanted to show off the wiring and they were about the only option out there that allowed it. One of the decisions I am glad I made upfront.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement