post #121 of 132 Unread 12-15-2014, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimim View Post
Looks great. Nice and clean. What program u using for the movie posters. Also can all vs be orientated this way for posters?
Thanks
Jim
I just ran HDMI cables to each TV back to the equipment room. They are hooked up to 2 cheap media streams (see link below) and I have a thumb drive with movie posters on each drive. I just saved the jpg's in landscape mode so they appear right side up on the TV's.

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-...s=media+player
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 132 Unread 12-15-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audixium View Post
LOVE the build so far. You should check out The Garage Journal if you haven't already!

EDIT: just found your thread over there. Thanks for sharing!

-Erik
Thanks Erik. Garage Journal is my second favorite forum besides here. I have lurked over there for a long time. There are some amazing garages posted there. I got a lot of help with mine by reading about different builds.
post #123 of 132 Unread 12-15-2014, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I worked in the equipment room for a couple of hours tonight. My wife and I are going to get the whole home audio speakers in the ceiling over the Chistmas break so I have been terminating cat 6 ends for the keypads. I thought I was done with that after I did all of the drops in the house. It is no fun at all!
post #124 of 132 Unread 12-16-2014, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008 View Post
Quote:
Looks great. Nice and clean. What program u using for the movie posters. Also can all vs be orientated this way for posters?
Thanks
Jim
I just ran HDMI cables to each TV back to the equipment room. They are hooked up to 2 cheap media streams (see link below) and I have a thumb drive with movie posters on each drive. I just saved the jpg's in landscape mode so they appear right side up on the TV's.

http://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-...s=media+player

That's pretty cool. Never knew those existed. Really nice if traveling. Anyway. So all you have is a slideshow on a thumb drive pretty much. The tv thinks it's the normal orientation but the pics are rotated. You just crop and do that in Photoshop I guess.

What whole house music did you settle on? That was our single best investment in our house.
post #125 of 132 Unread 12-16-2014, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
That's pretty cool. Never knew those existed. Really nice if traveling. Anyway. So all you have is a slideshow on a thumb drive pretty much. The tv thinks it's the normal orientation but the pics are rotated. You just crop and do that in Photoshop I guess.

What whole house music did you settle on? That was our single best investment in our house.
That is correct about the posters. I didn't have to crop them though, I just downloaded them and saved them onto a flash drive and rotated them so when they play on the TV they are rotated correctly. The media player has a built in slideshow that loops the slideshow over and over.

I am going to build a frame around both TV's and put some LED rope lighting behind the frames that will be controlled by an Insteon switch in the lobby. The switch is also going to be programmed to turn the TV's on so once I hit that switch both the TV's and the LED lighting come on. That is my next project after getting the inwall speakers installed for the whole home audio.

I went with the 12 zone system from HTD. I liked that system over the others because of the intercom system built in and the fact it was a little higher wattage than all of the Nuvo systems.
post #126 of 132 Unread 12-16-2014, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is correct about the posters. I didn't have to crop them though, I just downloaded them and saved them onto a flash drive and rotated them so when they play on the TV they are rotated correctly. The media player has a built in slideshow that loops the slideshow over and over.

I am going to build a frame around both TV's and put some LED rope lighting behind the frames that will be controlled by an Insteon switch in the lobby. The switch is also going to be programmed to turn the TV's on so once I hit that switch both the TV's and the LED lighting come on. That is my next project after getting the inwall speakers installed for the whole home audio.

I went with the 12 zone system from HTD. I liked that system over the others because of the intercom system built in and the fact it was a little higher wattage than all of the Nuvo systems.

Thanks for that info. I think I'm going to go that route. I like urs.
Why not just use the USB port on the tv? I'm just wondering the downside.

We have a Nuvo grand concerto. We have the tuner, iPod docks from years ago and now a music port. I really like it. I have to add my next unit to expand for the three new zones in the basement. I'm maxed out.
post #127 of 132 Unread 12-16-2014, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for that info. I think I'm going to go that route. I like urs.
Why not just use the USB port on the tv? I'm just wondering the downside.

We have a Nuvo grand concerto. We have the tuner, iPod docks from years ago and now a music port. I really like it. I have to add my next unit to expand for the three new zones in the basement. I'm maxed out.
Good question. The reason I didn't use the USB on the TV is because it didn't have a continuous loop and once you powered the TV off you had to go into the TV menu and manually start the slideshow up again. With the media player it is always running even when the TV is off.
post #128 of 132 Unread 12-16-2014, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Good question. The reason I didn't use the USB on the TV is because it didn't have a continuous loop and once you powered the TV off you had to go into the TV menu and manually start the slideshow up again. With the media player it is always running even when the TV is off.

Cool thanks. Just what I wanted to hear.

Jimi
post #129 of 132 Unread 12-16-2014, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cool thanks. Just what I wanted to hear.

Jimi
You bet!
post #130 of 132 Unread 12-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 44
you guys are so hard core I love it

how do you organize what goes through which tube?
post #131 of 132 Unread Today, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
you guys are so hard core I love it

how do you organize what goes through which tube?
With a LOT of planning. I used Middle Atlantic's rack software to layout the equipment in the racks before running any of the wires. I shifted a few pieces of gear around since I did the original plan over a year ago though. With the easy access above the rack and all of the conduit run it is not problem if I ever need to move anything around or run wires throughout the rest of the house.
post #132 of 132 Unread Today, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I got 2 of the surround amps (Emotiva XPA-5's) this week and added them to the racks. Time for an updated picture.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction