Viewing distance to screen size ratio - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The size of my media room constrains my distance from the screen to about 10 feet. Is there a good rule-of-thumb ratio for how big a screen I should use for a distance from the screen? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Will your screen be 16:9 or 2.35:1?

Spaceman Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Given the smaller room size, I'm thinking of just going with an LED TV, so I assume this is a 16:9? I guess I'm really debating between a 55", 70", etc. I assume anything bigger would be too big.
post #4 of 4 Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 98
If you are planning for a tv, then yes, you would be viewing a 16:9 image the majority of the time. When CinemaScope movies come on that are filmed with a 2.35:1 aspect ratio, you will experience the black bars above and below the image.

That being said, here is a link for some general THX recommendations for tv. They recommend a maximum horizontal viewing angle of 40 degrees. This means that from 10' away, you could go as large as a 100" diagonal tv without exceeding that angle. So no, a 55" or 70" tv will not be too big from 10' away. However, since viewing distances are subjective, you need to determine whether a 40 degree viewing angle is even comfortable for you. Experiment with different viewing distances in front of your current tv until you come up with a comfortable distance. Determine that viewing angle and use it to calculate the size of your new tv.

The front row in my room is very similar to your proposed seating distance. I sit 9'-6" away from a 125" diagonal 2.35:1 screen, which creates a 54 degree viewing angle. When I project a 16:9 image on the same screen (with black bars along the sides of the image), the image measures 100" diagonal. This gives me a 42 degree viewing angle (slightly more than the THX recommendation).

Spaceman Theater Build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page