Mini-Split fan noise concern - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Hey all,

I just had my mini-split installed in the unfinished 19.5' x 13' theater space. It seems kind of loud at the lowest speed (28 db.)  I am wondering if this amount of sound will be and issue. Should I be concerned about clearly hearing the fan running in a space that is pretty much just sheet rocked walls or will the sound not be as bad in a finished space with a movie playing?

I think the unit might be over sized for my space, it is a Mitsubishi MSZ-GE18NA with 17,000 BTU and cools the room in minutes at the lowest fan speed. I am seriously considering dropping the wall unit down to the MSZ-GE12NA which is only 12,000 BTU and at the lowest speed is 19 db. This assumes I can keep the larger outside unit in place and just use a smaller wall unit inside.

How much difference would a drop of 9 db. make in a quiet home theater? I am sure this will cost me to make the change but it is probably easier to do now with the other side of the wall still open. Or perhaps I am being paranoid and the 28 db will be fine. I really have no reference point and was wondering if anyone had any opinion on the matter.

Thanks.

Avengers Assemble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Is it 28 db at the listening position or at the head unit?

Generally, 28 db is pretty quiet. WHen you get all in and projector running and even at low volume, I'd be surprised if it bothered you. Your projector will likely be louder (unless you have it in a projection room).

My Home Theater of the Month- Le Petit Trianon

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

It is 28 db at the head unit. This head unit is about 6 1/2 feet away from the front row of seats, and it is about 1 foot from the back row. The unit is just below the back right surround speaker.

Avengers Assemble
post #4 of 4 Old 10-06-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Every 3 dB is half the power, so you're talking about 1/8 th the sound level. I hate fan noise (I'm typing this on a fanless computer) and choose low noise everything. I put in 0.3 sone Panasonic bathroom fans and still think they're loud. So, I'd choose the lower noise unit if you can and it meets your requirements. On the other hand, some people don't seem bothered by fan noise. If you're one of them, then ignore what I said.

Bob
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page