Wall mount OR pedestal speakers? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-10-2013, 05:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My new home theater is under construction as I type. Actually...the whole home is under construction. However, I cant change the dimensions of the room.

Some FACTS about the build that CAN NOT CHANGE (so please dont comment on these...I know they are NOT ideal):
- The theater is UNDER my garage and has concrete walls, floors, and ceiling. Like a VAULT. Obviously, it will be framed/insulated as well.
- The room is so narrow that I've requested the framers to place the 2x4 flat on the side walls to widen the room as much as possible (about 4" overall). Therefore, I can NOT put flush mount side speakers in the room.
- The finished room will be 11' 3" wide, and 30' long. The ceiling in the rear (where you enter) is 10' tall. As you move towards the screen, there is an 8" step-down in the slab, and then another 8" step-down. So...the screen wall is 11' 4" tall.
- There is a media cabinet recessed into the rear wall (flush). Actually, it is a pass-through media cabinet into the unfinished utility room on the other side of the wall. This will give me direct/easy access to the back of the equipment.

I am only considering FRONT and REAR speakers.

I have space for the REAR speakers to be flush mount or pedestal. I own the pedestal type already...so that is the cheapest solution. However, I really dont want the speakers in the way. So I will most likely go with flush mount in the rear.

I need advice for the FRONT SPEAKERS.

OPTION ONE: Pedestal front speakers so that I can maximize my screen width (using the whole wall minus the frame). I own the pedestal speakers already and they are really good. So...certainly a cheaper solution. Potential screen size is 10' 6" wide.

OPTION TWO: Flush mount wall speakers on the left & right of screen and a center speaker above or below. This option requires that I leave space on the left and right of my screen for the speakers. Potential screen size is 9' wide. More expensive than OPTION ONE for me, being that I already own pedestal speakers.

OPTION THREE: Flush mount front speakers BEHIND the screen. This will again allow me to maximize my screen width. However, this is probably the most costly solution (speakers + acceptable screen material).

Thanks for your ADVICE everyone!

Sully
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-10-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 93
With your room depth, there really isn't a good reason not to go with the speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen. This will simplify front speaker placement and as you mentioned, allow you to maximize your screen size. Unless you were planning on painting your screen on the wall, an AT screen doesn't have to be any more expensive than a standard screen, especially if you buy the fabric and go the DIY route. Check out the SeymourAV screen fabric.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page