Opinions and some questions on my planned layout. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Our basement is finished...well, mostly. We moved in and there was an inlaw down there and recently we have a sewer backup and insurance paid to demo it wink.gif and gave us $11k to "replace" what was there so we're taking this oppurtunity to put in our theater and other rooms (office and playroom).

Here is our layout as it stands now followed by what it looks like now.

My questions are (numbers match the image)

1. Our electrical box is in this corner. What's the best way to leave it accessible but hidden? Maybe make the screenwall extend out further so I can walk back there from the adjacent laundry room?
  2. I was thinking of putting my rack through this wall and building a box around it in the adjacent laundry room. The boiler and washer/dryer are in there so heat might be an issue but I can't think of another place to put it.
  3. Plumbing runs on here so it has to stay which is fine because I need a rider anyway. With a 12" riser the ceiling is only about 6'5" though which will work but feels odd. The current 6" setup up is better but I'm not sure that will be enough.
  4. Windows. I'm thinking of light blocking shades or plugs. Thoughts?
  5. Our boiler and washer/dryer are right next door. That wall already exists so without ripping it out and rebuilding what's the best way to limit noise pollution?

Other notes. I'm going to just add a solid core door. The other side of the basement is a playroom and my office. It's a dedicated theatre but I' not too concerned about sound proofing so I might just add another layout of drywall with GG.

Thoughts on the layout, suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
No help? :-(
post #3 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by detzx View Post

Our basement is finished...well, mostly. We moved in and there was an inlaw down there and recently we have a sewer backup and insurance paid to demo it wink.gif and gave us $11k to "replace" what was there so we're taking this oppurtunity to put in our theater and other rooms (office and playroom).

Here is our layout as it stands now followed by what it looks like now.

My questions are (numbers match the image)

1. Our electrical box is in this corner. What's the best way to leave it accessible but hidden? Maybe make the screenwall extend out further so I can walk back there from the adjacent laundry room?
  2. I was thinking of putting my rack through this wall and building a box around it in the adjacent laundry room. The boiler and washer/dryer are in there so heat might be an issue but I can't think of another place to put it.
  3. Plumbing runs on here so it has to stay which is fine because I need a rider anyway. With a 12" riser the ceiling is only about 6'5" though which will work but feels odd. The current 6" setup up is better but I'm not sure that will be enough.
  4. Windows. I'm thinking of light blocking shades or plugs. Thoughts?
  5. Our boiler and washer/dryer are right next door. That wall already exists so without ripping it out and rebuilding what's the best way to limit noise pollution?

Other notes. I'm going to just add a solid core door. The other side of the basement is a playroom and my office. It's a dedicated theatre but I' not too concerned about sound proofing so I might just add another layout of drywall with GG.

Thoughts on the layout, suggestions?

1) screen wall built out, with a hanging screen on frame (very common on the forums here). The area around the screen would be made of GOM panels, several of which would be removable so you can get back there.
2) heat can be taken care of. Check out my build for how I am handling the AV rack heat. you could take it one step further, and also have an AC vent in there (assuming you have AC in the first place).
3) in the "sticky" section of the Dedicated Theater... forum, there is a riser calculator link. Yuo can figure out the ideal height for your riser. I would think 6" would be too low. 12" is actually likely slightly too low, but would work fine. Lots of people are forced to have their riser lower than they want due to ceiling height.... its a bit of a balance. Build up a faux-riser with some boxes/boards, and test out what height you are comfortable with.
4) yes. If you are not worrying about sound isolation, then some good black-out curtains will work just fine. If you are doing sound isolation, you will need some full on plugs. Assuming the former, it doesn't really matter what you do, as long as you block out the light. You may want/need access to the windows for various reasons.
5) rip out and rebuild.... Either go 20% of the way to sound proofing, or 100% of the way. You will be sorely disappointed if you put in all this effort/money to sound-proof, and then the sound just flanks around all your efforts through the electrical outlets, HVAC, door jambs, windows, etc etc etc. IMO, either go full-out, or just put regular pink insulation inside all walls, between all joists, and in all open spaces. Solid core door added to the latter would also help.

Do some research here, well worth your time.
http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/category/soundproofing-articles/

Hope this is helpful
post #4 of 4 Old 10-14-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Is there space under the stairs that could house a rack? It looks like the stairs reach a landing and then turn left (when climbing), so the space under that landing might be useful for two small racks, side by side. I prefer that as it gets the lights behind you, instead of in view along the side. Obviously, the riser height will impact the space available.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page