Identity Crisis Theater Build - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As with most on this forum, i have lurked for years, done a TV room in my previous house and ready to go to the next level. As you take a look at my first set of sketches, you'll see what why I chose this thread title. I could easily close off the theater, but I really wanted an open concept design, but with all the aspects of a theater (PJ, stage, seating, etc). This is a new house build that I will take possession of this month and start basement construction nearly immediately. I plan to frame within a week or 2 and seal up a storage area to keep my equipment and furniture during the build. Winters a coming and and I want my cars in the garages.

Would love some feedback on the rough design. Just to explain, the PJ room is 18.75x18. My plan is to incorporate arches between the steps and post and that post and the wall, those will blend with soffits and hide speakers in the rear. Only the wall next to the steps will touch the rest of the house. All other walls are exterior, so my belief is that only that wall will need built for sound absorption. And of course the ceilings. True?

Also to note is the full window and 6 foot french door. So i will need a bright PJ (Suggestions?) Looking in the sub 3K range and the Panasonic 8000U always seems to come up. And i plan a 2.35 setup. Im going to reuse most of my equipment until proven otherwise, which aint bad, def tech speakers, velodyn subs, emotiva amps, etc.

The equipment will back up into the mechanics room (room with 2 cylinders (water heaters)). Still trying to figure out Sweet Home 3D and how to add text to the 3D part. I know this is a tad far from the main area, but this rack holds all gear for the whole house audio/video as well.

And just to wrap it, behind the couch is a ping pong table, next to that a bar, on the other side is a 1/2 bath and weight room with 5x7 sauna.

Thanks for any feedback.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 05:19 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 533
10 Years ago I too wanted and open plan. Today I realize how stupid I was.

As your taste for bigger, better and more dyunamic speakers evolves your ability to limit the sound to the basement will be significantly challenged. If you intend to be single for your life in this house, no problem.

As you strive for perfection in the sound field, not having a back wall means no rear wall reflections to add to the sense of envelopment of the surround sound. Of course you won't have a rear wall to mount the rear surrounds, ceiling mounts are a compromise.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

10 Years ago I too wanted and open plan. Today I realize how stupid I was.

I hear ya, and here are my reasons. This theater will be used more for viewing sports than movies. I will entertain and use the area like a sports bar for 20+ people. The good thing is that this layout could easily be closed off with 20ft of wall if i completely regret the decision.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Update on the plan, moved a few walls, increased the throw distance on the PJ, had to shrink the bar and turn the media rack. In case anyone is wondering why i put the media rack where it is, its for 2 reasons. I wanted any sound away from the viewing area, and it will stay there because my whole house AV/network/camera/etc lines are terminated there. Ive got bids out on material, shouldnt be long now.

Ive long been engaged in the audio side of things, but PJs and screens are new to me. From my research a Panasonic AE8000 fits my budget, even though we wont use 3D. Since this will be used mainly for games, sports, and prime time TV, a 16x9 also makes the most sense. Then comes to the AT portion, since my throw can be a max of 17' feet, im thinking speakers will need to be below and beside the screen, that doesnt really bother me. If i start looking ahead to screens, the monoprice 133 and 150 fixed frame 16x9 look great for price. Both are 1.0 gain and with having a full window and 6 foot door, should i be looking at a 1.3 gain? The calculator i saw said that 150" and a 15' throw works for this, how does throw/size affect quality? Thanks for continued feedback.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-16-2013, 09:36 AM - Thread Starter

Updated the previous post with a new sketch and some questions.
post #6 of 11 Old 10-16-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I prefer the expanded floor plan. I gather there'll be access for the furnace?

Do you own that bar and stools already? Seems to me you could build an expanded curved bar
with the added room. (Have you seen BigmouthinDC's bar? smile.gif )

You might want the gain with a non-AT screen and you might want to consider how low your center channel ends up,
with such a large 16x9 screen. I am not sure that projector can drive such a large screen with adequate light levels.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

After having a few designers out, we are pretty close to a final design, which is below. You can we have gone with the same open floor plan, and im starting to research the sound proofing. 2 walls are exterior, 1 wall runs next to the steps for which i will use a double wall, 1 staggered, with insulation, GG drywall layers, and resilient drywall channels. The ceiling will be the typical soundproofiing of 2 layers of drywall (GG), insulation, and resilient channels. With the rear of the theater being mainly open with 2 pillars and an arch, am i going to have a huge problem of sound bouncing off the far rear wall and back up the steps? I realize that i will have some sound leakage, Im just trying to limit it from going up 3 levels to the bedrooms area, this is a 5 level split. Thoughts?

post #8 of 11 Old 01-10-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesne View Post

After having a few designers out, we are pretty close to a final design, which is below. You can we have gone with the same open floor plan, and im starting to research the sound proofing. 2 walls are exterior, 1 wall runs next to the steps for which i will use a double wall, 1 staggered, with insulation, GG drywall layers, and resilient drywall channels. The ceiling will be the typical soundproofiing of 2 layers of drywall (GG), insulation, and resilient channels. With the rear of the theater being mainly open with 2 pillars and an arch, am i going to have a huge problem of sound bouncing off the far rear wall and back up the steps? I realize that i will have some sound leakage, Im just trying to limit it from going up 3 levels to the bedrooms area, this is a 5 level split. Thoughts?

Sound isolation, in an open concept like that, is usually not effective. The double doors to the exterior can cause problems, and the open area to the workout room and the open stairway are big holes in your isolation. Sound isolation is pretty much an all or nothing concept, you cannot isolate part of the room; it has to be all walls, the ceiling, doors, and the openings to the stairway and workout area need to be closed.

If you are able to isolate the entire space, and close off those doorways, Instead of resilient channel, you should look at hat channel and whisper clips. You can get both from Ted White, here on the forum...
post #9 of 11 Old 01-13-2014, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

All right, think im going to give up on the open concept, which means the design changes to something like this. With the closed design, i decided to add a 2nd row on a 7' x 10' x 12" riser. But then that pushes the front row only 9' from the screen, which is a planned 125" 2.35 screen. I know viewing distance is personal pref, but is this going to be too close and make people sick? This basement is almost 1300 sq. ft, so i should have plenty of room, feel like im missing an obviously better design.

post #10 of 11 Old 01-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Your back row is pressed up against the back wall, which is really not ideal. If you rotate the theater 90 degrees, and steal 3' from the ping pong room, you could have 17' x 19' approx, which would allow you to use 135" screen and maybe even get more seating in there.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkest View Post

Your back row is pressed up against the back wall, which is really not ideal. If you rotate the theater 90 degrees, and steal 3' from the ping pong room, you could have 17' x 19' approx, which would allow you to use 135" screen and maybe even get more seating in there.

When i mock up that design, the ping pong area now seems like an oversized hallway at < 12' wide. 5 seats in the back row and 3 up front is what im going for.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page