Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #121 of 141 Old 08-03-2014, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Moving the horns closer to the walls actually reduced output across the board for the whole room. I moved them around for a few hours taking measurements before they ended up where they are now.

Just the thought of adding any more bass gives me a headache...even if it is something small.

I think the acoustic treatment will help quite a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 141 Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Just sent you a pm.

The sound acoustics and subs was the longest and most time consuming part of building my room. Its worth the patience and $$. Hang in there.
post #123 of 141 Old 08-04-2014, 06:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 811
The null you are complaining about is a result of your sub locations and the size of your room boundaries. It's treatable but it does suck you sit in a null with such awesome subs.

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #124 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Eh, I sit in the back row since the couch back there is more comfortable anyway. It doesn't bother me too much.

I stacked some 703 in the front two corners, and it increased response below 15hz by about 10db(!), and from 50hz to 150hz by 2-3db. Decay times across the board were slightly faster as well, so all good changes. Didn't budge the 30hz null for the front row, but oh well.

Is there any difference between the yellow fiberglass insulation and the pink fiberglass insulation, other than the yellow stuff is WAY cheaper in price? This will be used to stuff the floor joists.

post #125 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeamdman View Post
Eh, I sit in the back row since the couch back there is more comfortable anyway. It doesn't bother me too much.

I stacked some 703 in the front two corners, and it increased response below 15hz by about 10db(!), and from 50hz to 150hz by 2-3db. Decay times across the board were slightly faster as well, so all good changes. Didn't budge the 30hz null for the front row, but oh well.

Is there any difference between the yellow fiberglass insulation and the pink fiberglass insulation, other than the yellow stuff is WAY cheaper in price? This will be used to stuff the floor joists.
Are you asking about yellow-fluffy vs. pink-fluffy insulation? If so, just get whatever is cheaper.

Traditionally, I think most people would think of yellow as OC-703 and pink as pink-fluffy insulation. If that's the case, I want to know where you're getting your cheap OC-703.

-

Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?
post #126 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
Are you asking about yellow-fluffy vs. pink-fluffy insulation? If so, just get whatever is cheaper.

Traditionally, I think most people would think of yellow as OC-703 and pink as pink-fluffy insulation. If that's the case, I want to know where you're getting your cheap OC-703.
Yes, yellow and pink fluffy.

Mendards has the yellow fluffy really cheap, so i'll just get that.

post #127 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, yellow and pink fluffy.

Mendards has the yellow fluffy really cheap, so i'll just get that.

Even with fluffy insulation I think you still need to pay attention to R values. There is TONS of information over on Gearslutz about this. I used R13 for behind my straddling ceiling to wall corner traps.

FS- Netgear 550 .ISO player - PM me
My Gear-Pioneer, JBL Pro Cinema, Fi Car Audio 4- SP4 18", Peavey IPR2 7500 x 4 -Mini-Dsp 4x10, GIK Acoustics, Seymour Screens 110" AT, Dune Smarts, uNraid Server

post #128 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Even with fluffy insulation I think you still need to pay attention to R values. There is TONS of information over on Gearslutz about this. I used R13 for behind my straddling ceiling to wall corner traps.
>R value = thicker insulation. Not too tough.

For putting into your ceiling, R19 is about as much as you need. The returns start to diminish with anything thicker.

-

post #129 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^ it's different for acoustics. Thicker isn't always better and vice cersa.

This is where listening to one advisor really pays off and simplifies the decision making process.

For acoustics, I was advised, the thicker the pink fluffy the better. Don't crush it, nice and loose.
post #130 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
^^^ it's different for acoustics. Thicker isn't always better and vice cersa.

This is where listening to one advisor really pays off and simplifies the decision making process.

For acoustics, I was advised, the thicker the pink fluffy the better. Don't crush it, nice and loose.
So, are you saying he should listen to you and ignore everybody else? That's some pretty impressive hubris.

If you want credentials, fine. The R19 recommendation is from Ted White here, here, and here.
Mfusick likes this.

-

Last edited by BllDo; 08-06-2014 at 03:38 PM.
post #131 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BllDo View Post
So, are you saying he should listen to you and ignore everybody else? That's some pretty impressive hubris.

If you want credentials, fine. The R19 recommendation is from Ted White here, here, and here.
I didnt once say he should listen to me or only me. Those are your words and I have no clue why you would say them.

Further, it has nothing to do with credntials. Many different experts in the field have credentials yet each have a different way of approaching a project.

With acoustics I found it best to find one professional and stick with him from start to finish. JMO YMMY
post #132 of 141 Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I was going to do R19 anyway.
Mfusick likes this.

post #133 of 141 Old 08-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 40
how far away are we from the tongue and groove paneling over the HVAC vent? Dying to see

post #134 of 141 Old 08-17-2014, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock3x8 View Post
how far away are we from the tongue and groove paneling over the HVAC vent? Dying to see
I don't think i'm going with a wood ceiling anymore. I'm almost finished stuffing the entire ceiling with R19 denim, and covering it with a reflective wood ceiling would be a waste of all that nice sound absorption!

I may go with cloth panels instead. Non-reflective, and far less material to cause squeaks and rattles.

Anyone have any objections that i'm overlooking?

post #135 of 141 Old 08-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I don't think i'm going with a wood ceiling anymore. I'm almost finished stuffing the entire ceiling with R19 denim, and covering it with a reflective wood ceiling would be a waste of all that nice sound absorption!

I may go with cloth panels instead. Non-reflective, and far less material to cause squeaks and rattles.

Anyone have any objections that i'm overlooking?
same concept though, right? just different material.

post #136 of 141 Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
same concept though, right? just different material.
Yes.
post #137 of 141 Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yes.
hey man you still alive out there? radio silence for a month!

post #138 of 141 Old 09-12-2014, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
hey man you still alive out there? radio silence for a month!
Ha!

I've been enjoying a break from building anything. Whatever i'm going to do with the ceiling I need to just decide and get it done.

post #139 of 141 Old 09-13-2014, 03:55 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Ha!

I've been enjoying a break from building anything. Whatever i'm going to do with the ceiling I need to just decide and get it done.
I used 6 rolls of the pink fluffy in my open-top soffits and they knocked down the boominess of the subs and killed most of the echoes of the room. These were non-measured echoes bad enough that you could even hear while talking, so they were pretty bad before the stuffing. Your ceiling is low like my basement, so not much space to work with there. Archaea used some black acoustical drop ceiling panels in his build that he is pretty happy with and they were really cheap. He talks about it a bit in his thread and I think the source also. You could hang strips of two rows deep of r19 all the way across the back wall and build an AT wall of black fabric panels like the guys use to black out the sides of their screens. Treating that back wall is important and this would be pretty cheap to do and not take up too much space.

I'm doing a similar plan as yours for my basement HT because the clips and Green Glue and expensive panels and such just don't fit in our budget or space. It looks good so far - keep on truckin'!

post #140 of 141 Old 09-14-2014, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_c View Post
I used 6 rolls of the pink fluffy in my open-top soffits and they knocked down the boominess of the subs and killed most of the echoes of the room. These were non-measured echoes bad enough that you could even hear while talking, so they were pretty bad before the stuffing. Your ceiling is low like my basement, so not much space to work with there. Archaea used some black acoustical drop ceiling panels in his build that he is pretty happy with and they were really cheap. He talks about it a bit in his thread and I think the source also. You could hang strips of two rows deep of r19 all the way across the back wall and build an AT wall of black fabric panels like the guys use to black out the sides of their screens. Treating that back wall is important and this would be pretty cheap to do and not take up too much space.

I'm doing a similar plan as yours for my basement HT because the clips and Green Glue and expensive panels and such just don't fit in our budget or space. It looks good so far - keep on truckin'!
I'm almost done stuffing R19 denim in all the floor joists above, and that's helped quite a bit.

The two layers of R19 on the back wall is a good idea, i'll definitely do that. Cheap and easy.

As for the suspended ceiling...my last HT had one, and it was TERRIBLE. Tons of those shrill metal rattles from the frame, and the tiles would literally jump and bounce around when the deep bass would hit. Are the new ones better?

post #141 of 141 Old 09-14-2014, 05:52 PM
d_c
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I noticed some rattles when demoing Archaea's HT and tracked them down. They were all where the old ceiling tiles were, and no rattles came from the area of new tiles. He hadn't replaced all of them yet. I get the idea of using the drop ceiling tiles in case you have a leak from upstairs or need access to wires, but I prefer the look of a finished drywall and trimmed out ceiling. You can instead cover your future wiring upgrade needs by running a PVC wire scuttle from the area of the PJ to the soffits, along the soffits, etc.

Last edited by d_c; 09-14-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page