What to use for Acoustical Treatment - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What is best to use for 3/4" thick acoustical treatments on the walls? I have 1" ductboard but I can only go 3/4". Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 11:58 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone?

post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

What is best to use for 3/4" thick acoustical treatments on the walls? I have 1" ductboard but I can only go 3/4". Thanks.
nothing, too thin, you will EQ your sound at specific freq and above only....don't waste you time.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

nothing, too thin, you will EQ your sound at specific freq and above only....don't waste you time.

Yes, it takes several inches of material to evenly absorb a broad band of frequencies.

Having said that, a decade ago a certain well known theater designer and CEDIA board member (Erskine group) designed theaters using one inch of Linacoustic and Dacron Polyfill as acoustical treatments. The theaters sounded good (in fact one close to my house has been rated by many AVS brothers as one of best sounding theaters around) and they are still enjoyed by their owners. Of course a decade ago 720P looked pretty good.

PROJECTS:

post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh wow so what is the optimal depth for said project? Is ductboard even a good material to use?

post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Oh wow so what is the optimal depth for said project? Is ductboard even a good material to use?

If you are sticking with strictly DIY simple absorber then typically 2" thick OC703/equiv + 2" air gap will suffice to not EQ the sound, you may not get all the 250hz to 400hz but that is trade off to room encroachment.

By the "book", if you do have space then 4" thick with 4" air gap will ensure you do not EQ the lower end of the bass for a true broadband absorber that works above the typical Fs transition freq of 250hz in HT sized small acoustic spaces......

You want to only apply the treatments where needed, not blindly following some guide.
The "mirror trick" is a good starting point to plan from.
Minimal absorber acoustic treatments to keep as much sound energy in your room is the overall goal, while they do their job where needed.

Me, my next foray into DIY treatments may step up to DIY BAD treatments for my side walls....
I'll do that when I also upgrade from floorstanding dome tweeter to baffle wall CD waveguide speakers, circa mid-2015 when I also move up to 4k PJ.

Have fun, it's a hobby after all, not world peace.
mijotter likes this.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page