What material should I hang on my wall? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have my projector screen finished and it's about the size of the entire wall so I've just decided to cover the wall in a black material. Will black felt hide and overhang that is thrown by the projector or will I have to go with a black velvet or triple velvet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZQ8 Blazer View Post

I have my projector screen finished and it's about the size of the entire wall so I've just decided to cover the wall in a black material. Will black felt hide and overhang that is thrown by the projector or will I have to go with a black velvet or triple velvet?

I think triple velvet is the recommended way to go around here. It's what I used for the trim around my screen last go-round, and it worked great. Can't speak to other options though, as I haven't tried them.

-Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 612
There is black, blacker and blackest. Compare the fabrics at the store. Just a heads up Joannes and Hancock fabrics run printed and online coupons all the time for 40-50% off any one item. They usually honor each others coupons. When you are buying velvet it is worth the effort to seek a coupon.

PROJECTS:

post #4 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 96
This is the blackest stuff I could find and it's pretty cheap, even after shipping. Here are two pics showing a small sample draped over the edge of a SeymourAV screen frame wrapped with Fidelio velvet. I can't tell the difference. Black Plush Triple Velvet= $7.75/yd. Fidelio= $36/yd. You might be able to do better with a 50% off coupon at Joannes. I can't recall what their pricing was on velvet.

Spaceman Theater Build

post #5 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
Quote:
Just a heads up Joannes and Hancock fabrics run printed and online coupons all the time for 40-50% off any one item.
I've noticed that, but when I read into it the coupon is only good for the first yard of fabric. Am I reading that wrong?

EDIT: I was wrong it does apply to the entire purchase of one item. Will this work?
post #6 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 03:04 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

looks black on my monitor so how does it look in person?

PROJECTS:

post #7 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

That I do not know, I'll have to check next time I go. The closest Joannes is a hour from me.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-15-2013, 08:13 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

call first, not all stores stock all fabrics

PROJECTS:

post #9 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

okay, thanks for the tip.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 01:54 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Before driving 2 hours round trip I would just order the triple velvet that Spacemen linked above. I've used it at some point in the past and it works fine.

PROJECTS:

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page