planning a small room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
So I've been wanting a projector forever since TV's are never big enough to satisfy my needs. The only problem is I don't have quite the right floor plan for a huge room. frown.gif As you can see from the floor plan that I do not have much to work with. I was planning on using "bedroom 3" as my media room and housing the components in the closet. Do you think this is a silly idea or feasible? The ceilings in this room are 10' but on the edges on the long side both go down to 8'. How would you design a room like this? I am currently offshore just now so when I get back home I will take pictures of the room.

I5smw36.png
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-14-2013, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

also, I am confused as to what to get for surround sound in there? I have a SVSound tower system in my living room and was thinking about getting an Axiom Audio system for this room. Only problem is I don't know what system to get? My gut says to just go all out and get their M80 system but I'm not sure if that will be overkill for a room so small?
post #3 of 38 Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
13x10 wouldn't be the smallest theater on the forum by any means. 13' room puts you at 12' viewing distance, which is ideal for a 100"-110" diagonal screen. Actually, my first theater was about this size.... Only thing is, you will probably only get 1 couch in there.
you'll have to deal with blacking out the window, and assuming this is a new build i don't imagine you will want to be tearing it apart to do any soundproofing. however, I think you can put yourself together a pretty nice room.
There is a sticky thread that has links to a bunch of "small" theaters, check it out.

Ceiling height won't be an issue. even if the entire thing was 8', you'd still have no problem. Sound.... some sort of 5.1 is probably all you need. Since your couch would be on the wall, going to 7.1 loses its effectiveness. As for what system....all up to your budget. People have much bigger systems in smaller rooms.

-Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 38 Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Here is one of my favourite low budget bedroom theaters, thought you might get some good ideas from it. Of course you can scale this whole design to suit your own budget, but it's very similar to what you're trying to achieve, albeit a 5 or 6 years old now:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/896437/small-budget-smaller-room-ht-conversion

post #5 of 38 Old 10-15-2013, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the suggestions, I have been scouring that thread of small theaters for ideas. Another "issue" I have is the doorway and closet door are right next to the wall that I would project on and they both swing inwards towards the room. I would probably make the room doorway swing outward, but the closet can't swing into itself. Perhaps I could just take the closet door off completely. I was probably also going to paint the whole room black, might as well try and get best of a picture as I can. The window already has plantation shutters on it, but I would then cover it again with a heavy velvet curtain.
post #6 of 38 Old 10-15-2013, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 64
scotsman8 a.jpg 122k .jpg file

Could you steal a little master bedroom closet space???

Here's a couple of extremely nice small builds that are impressive. :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1303660/mini-man-cave-phase-2-could-use-help-planning

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477348/theater-for-hobbits-2-0-mini-2-35-cih-build-in-a-10x10-alcove
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scotsman8 a.jpg (122.1 KB, 9 views)
post #7 of 38 Old 10-15-2013, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post

scotsman8 a.jpg 122k .jpg file

Could you steal a little master bedroom closet space???

Here's a couple of extremely nice small builds that are impressive. :

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1303660/mini-man-cave-phase-2-could-use-help-planning

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1477348/theater-for-hobbits-2-0-mini-2-35-cih-build-in-a-10x10-alcove
nope can't do that as I just did this to my master closet to make the gf happy. I was actually planning on using the front 13X10 room, "bedroom #3 but cannot decide which way to orient it.

post #8 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Nice closet.

I saw you were thinking bedroom three, but I thought that that nice big front window was better off in
a bedroom. And that you might get away with a window plug for the smaller side wall window of
bedroom 2.

For bedroom three, I'd use the outside wall as the screen wall. Dipole side surrounds, with the seating
placed to miss the swing of the doorway. If you wanted 7.1, in wall rear surrounds are an option.

If those sloped soffit bothers you, and you are up for some simple construction then you could soffit the
whole room and add spot lighting in the new soffit.

The av rack could go into the closet, and if the front wall was done in a black fabric, you could wrap the
fabric treatment around to the side walls , past the closet door. The door could be disguised then. A small
equipment rack could be mounted high in the door frame, so one could access the closet and have it act
as a storage space. Might need some ventilation for the closet, and an ir repeater system for the hidden
av rack.
post #9 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Personally, I would put the screen on the wall adjacent to the door. and if you are truly making this a theater room, you could take off the closet door, build up the bottom of the closet to be couch height, and have the AV rack take up the top half of the closet. You would then fit a full 12' couch along the left wall, a solid 4 person theater-seating couch or 5 person open couch, to allow for a bit more seating.

but yes, same story holds true for bedroom #2, if you wanted to save the big window for a bedroom.

-Steve

post #10 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Right now as it stands I use the bedroom #2 and #4 as guest rooms right now and #3 is just filled with junk. I was thinking of putting the screen on the wall next to the door and making that door swing outwards instead of inwards like it does now. I like the idea of making the closet hold all the AV equipment and might do something similar of that nature. Thanks for the ideas so far guys.
post #11 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

That wall could make use of SeymourAV XD acoustically transparent screen material and some in
wall speakers. The XD should be 6" off the fabric so the speakers don't change timber.

I wouldn't go wall to wall with the seating though. How do you set surround levels so a speaker
doesn't jump out of a surround mix to the nearest seat, and drawn undue attention to itself.

You could build new soffits in the room using metal C channel for the horizontals and wood 2x4 shorts
for the verticals.

bedroom 3 scotsman8.jpg 43k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedroom 3 scotsman8.jpg (42.8 KB, 15 views)
scotsman8 likes this.
post #12 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Don't think I can build soffits because the ceiling is not level. In front and rear it slopes. I believe its 10' then slopes down to 8'.
post #13 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Sure you can. At eight feet, those angles disappear. Lots of headroom since there's no riser or second row.
The angled sections would be hidden by the new soffit. The effect of the soffit will actually male the room feel
more spacious since you enter under the soffit and the ceiling steps up. You also could do some rope lighting behind
crown moulding to add some detail.

Or you could leave some exposed slope at the ends of the room. Some of the 24" of height differential between the soffit
and ceiling could be used to do some acoustical treatments. You could also lower that 10' of height and do a star ceiling.

My soffits have only 80" of height below them. The ceiling height is but 7"1". The door (on the side wall) had to be cut
down 4" to fit under a support beam. My spot lights are in the 7'1" ceiling since two of the four soffits contain HVAC.
scotsman8 likes this.
post #14 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sure you can. At eight feet, those angles disappear. Lots of headroom since there's no riser or second row.
The angled sections would be hidden by the new soffit. The effect of the soffit will actually male the room feel
more spacious since you enter under the soffit and the ceiling steps up. You also could do some rope lighting behind
crown moulding to add some detail.

Or you could leave some exposed slope at the ends of the room. Some of the 24" of height differential between the soffit
and ceiling could be used to do some acoustical treatments. You could also lower that 10' of height and do a star ceiling.

My soffits have only 80" of height below them. The ceiling height is but 7"1". The door (on the side wall) had to be cut
down 4" to fit under a support beam. My spot lights are in the 7'1" ceiling since two of the four soffits contain HVAC.
That really liked the idea of soffits but figured I couldn't do it because of the way my ceiling is. I had my gf take a few pictures of the room that I am planning on doing this in. Probably will paint the walls and ceiling black, change the carpet and put a red velvet blackout curtain over the shutters.

post #15 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Now I can see the problem... smile.gif

How about wall to wall soffits at the ends of the room that hide the sloped sections, and
then do a suspended floating cloud type ceiling that is above the shutters of the window?
The suspended cloud would be off the soffits and side walls, and could hide the drapery
tracks.

bedroom 3 scotsman8 cloud.jpg 42k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bedroom 3 scotsman8 cloud.jpg (42.1 KB, 11 views)
scotsman8 likes this.
post #16 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

not a bad idea, but wouldn't that make the room feel even more cramped if i brought the whole ceiling down? also i think i want to leave a fan in there for circulation. that room can get warm from the texas heat!
post #17 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 08:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 631
can't see an immediate reason for a soffit.

I think the critical issues are

Choice of room
Choice of screen wall, screen material, format 16:9 versus 2:35:1 and size.
choice of projector
speaker selection and setup
how to deal with the doors, and the closet
selection and position of seating
covering the windows
Running the necessary wiring (retro fitting the space)
Dealing with heat build up in the theater space and equipment area.
acoustical treatments.

I would recommend having solutions/plans to all of these before spending a dime on equipment.
scotsman8 likes this.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #18 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

I doubt the room will feel cramped. The fan could be dropped through the cloud, by an extension rod.

No air conditioning in Texas? wink.gif

One nice advantage of the av rack in the closet, and an AT screen, is you just visually removed a lot of clutter.
I would also think that a less tall ceiling would put some proportion back into the room (and help with nodal issues,
with two of three of the room's dimensions being identical).

Besides, it's media room where 98% of it's function is at least, in a darkened state. Are you really going to see how
tall that black ceiling is, under those conditions? Or even think about the ceiling height. The cloud would end up
maybe a foot off the actual ceiling and nine foot high is still pretty spacious.
scotsman8 likes this.
post #19 of 38 Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

can't see an immediate reason for a soffit.

I think the critical issues are

Choice of room pretty sure bedroom #3
Choice of screen wall, screen material, format 16:9 versus 2:35:1 and size. the wall not too sure but like Tedds suggestion. 16:9 and will determine the size maybe after I buy a projector and test out different sizes
choice of projector fairly certain on a Sony HW50
speaker selection and setup Thinking about the Axiom Audio M80 5.1 setup. Have a SVSound Tower system in my living room and pretty happy with internet type
how to deal with the doors, and the closet If I do the orientation of Tedds idea, then I will make the entrance door swing out instead of inwards and perhaps take off the closet door and put in a sliding rack.
selection and position of seating this is still a big one
covering the windows The window already has a shutter over it and was going to do a velvet blackout curtain. Would this be suffice or will light still bleed?
Running the necessary wiring (retro fitting the space) This should be fairly easy as I did my living room, just need to determine the position of the projector 1st and pull all the wires into the closet
Dealing with heat build up in the theater space and equipment area. Still need to think this part out
acoustical treatments. don't know anything about this yet

I would recommend having solutions/plans to all of these before spending a dime on equipment.

Quote:

I doubt the room will feel cramped. The fan could be dropped through the cloud, by an extension rod.

No air conditioning in Texas? wink.gif

One nice advantage of the av rack in the closet, and an AT screen, is you just visually removed a lot of clutter.
I would also think that a less tall ceiling would put some proportion back into the room (and help with nodal issues,
with two of three of the room's dimensions being identical).

Besides, it's media room where 98% of it's function is at least, in a darkened state. Are you really going to see how
tall that black ceiling is, under those conditions? Or even think about the ceiling height. The cloud would end up
maybe a foot off the actual ceiling and nine foot high is still pretty spacious.

Yea we have air con in Texas, just that room seems to run hotter than the rest of the house? I figured it was because of the big window that the sun shines onto? Not sure about the AT screen because then I would lose some throw distance. I really like the idea of the ceiling, just not sure if I want to get that elaborate at 1st.
post #20 of 38 Old 10-17-2013, 05:34 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

One item to research carefully is the throw distance and screen size.

If your room is 13 ft long. the lens of the projector will be about 11 ft from the front wall, If you pull it back a bit for an acoustically transparent screen you might be down to less than 10 ft of throw distance. Check the On line projector calculator at Projection Central to be sure the Sony will work.

I would opt for some really good inwalls and put the screen over them. This would maximize your throw.

I would get 2-3 theater reclining powered seats and perhaps one of the Fusion seating models with removable middle armrests for those special evenings. Position them about 2 ft off the back wall.

by all means projector first and shine it on the wall, Then buy a screen size that fits your preferences.
scotsman8 likes this.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #21 of 38 Old 10-17-2013, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

One item to research carefully is the throw distance and screen size.

If your room is 13 ft long. the lens of the projector will be about 11 ft from the front wall, If you pull it back a bit for an acoustically transparent screen you might be down to less than 10 ft of throw distance. Check the On line projector calculator at Projection Central to be sure the Sony will work.

I would opt for some really good inwalls and put the screen over them. This would maximize your throw.

I would get 2-3 theater reclining powered seats and perhaps one of the Fusion seating models with removable middle armrests for those special evenings. Position them about 2 ft off the back wall.

by all means projector first and shine it on the wall, Then buy a screen size that fits your preferences.

what are some really good inwall speakers?
post #22 of 38 Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

One of my reasons for the soffit suggestion, was to get wiring around the room,
and keeping it all hidden. Another approach is to do a kick panel for wiring, and then
do fabric walls above, and use that depth for acoustical treatments.

I second Big's AT screen suggestion with in wall speakers. You could live with the
timbre shifting with the XD 2-3" off the XD fabric, since all three front speakers would be behind
the screen and save the 3" of room depth. A big plus for an AT screen in a narrow room,
is the LR mains don't get pushed deep into the corners of the room in pursuit of a healthy
screen size. The speakers also are hidden, their foot print is minimal and there's zero
clutter factor.

I still like bedroom 2 better, as there's no big window in the bedroom, and one could build
a plug for the side window, and it's not at the front of the house. That room also appears to
have one section of sloped ceiling to deal with. Another reason was there was no large
window on the side wall, so it would be possible to do acoustical treatments on both side walls.

If the front room isn't getting proper cooling, are there any accessible dampers that need to be
adjusted/balanced?
scotsman8 likes this.
post #23 of 38 Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman8 View Post

what are some really good inwall speakers?

Triad, Procella are a couple that come to mind.
scotsman8 likes this.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #24 of 38 Old 10-18-2013, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

One of my reasons for the soffit suggestion, was to get wiring around the room,
and keeping it all hidden. Another approach is to do a kick panel for wiring, and then
do fabric walls above, and use that depth for acoustical treatments.

I second Big's AT screen suggestion with in wall speakers. You could live with the
timbre shifting with the XD 2-3" off the XD fabric, since all three front speakers would be behind
the screen and save the 3" of room depth. A big plus for an AT screen in a narrow room,
is the LR mains don't get pushed deep into the corners of the room in pursuit of a healthy
screen size. The speakers also are hidden, their foot print is minimal and there's zero
clutter factor.

I still like bedroom 2 better, as there's no big window in the bedroom, and one could build
a plug for the side window, and it's not at the front of the house. That room also appears to
have one section of sloped ceiling to deal with. Another reason was there was no large
window on the side wall, so it would be possible to do acoustical treatments on both side walls.

If the front room isn't getting proper cooling, are there any accessible dampers that need to be
adjusted/balanced?
Bedroom 2 has the same ceiling. I don't think the window is going to be a problem as it will have a curtain over it. haven't really thought about acoustical treatments yet though. not sure about the ac, i never go in there so I may have closed the vent. i'll look into this more when i'm home
Quote:

Triad, Procella are a couple that come to mind.
lol that might be a little too pricey i think
post #25 of 38 Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I always been intrigued by the HSU in wall speakers but have yet to get any closer than an online review.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #26 of 38 Old 10-18-2013, 02:06 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

this is an interesting seating option, convertible seating. Used them at the Rawlinsway.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #27 of 38 Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The window could be considered a problem, as it is a highly reflective surface. The
large window also means the noise floor of the room will be high. Which in turn reduces
dynamic range. Which in turns leads to a situation where you need to turn up quiet
portions of a sound track to hear them, and grab for the remote, when loud passages end up
too loud. A curtain will simply absorb high frequencies.

Klipsch in walls might be worth a demo. Three identical speakers if behind an AT screen
versus a center channel. A catch might be the seating position is a little too close to a horn
speaker.
post #28 of 38 Old 10-18-2013, 02:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

I sit closer to my horn speakers. But then they are much better, larger horns. Among the horn based speaker building community we prefer to call them Wave Guides with compression drivers. Those are 15 inch woofers.

JEFF PARKINSON

PROJECTS:
post #29 of 38 Old 10-18-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

My horn experiences are with JBL's and Altec A7s. No issues with the JBL's but sometimes the A7's throw
me off. Not sure exactly what it is. I have dual Servodrive Contrabass and JTR T8's with compression drivers,
so it's not the dynamics.
post #30 of 38 Old 10-21-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:

I always been intrigued by the HSU in wall speakers but have yet to get any closer than an online review.
My buddy has a 7.1 HSU set up just not in walls. They are amazing!

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page