AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayliketheDIRT View Post

Thanks davidk442
The ceiling is not being held down by anything, and I have thought about it. This is going to be a bit of an experiment. I am assuming it may be fine seeing the weight of the product. I really wanted something that I could remove and still access the ceiling in the future. It's very thick and heavy I will be surprised if it moves. But in saying that there always is a possibility you hit the one frequency and it could move or raddle it.

I will hook my sub up to it this weekend and dail it up to see what happens.

If vibration is a problem it might be enough just to lay down a strip of fabric (felt) where the plank ends contact the supports.

Things buzz and rattle in my room and all I have is a crummy little ported 10". I don't know how these guys do it with multiple 18's hitting 120db below 20hz.
Good luck with your experiment. Might be a non-issue as you say.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 64 Old 04-23-2014, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21

Thanks for the kind words IRadiate and thanks for stopping by. Its funny that you said you just came across my thread, because I just came across yours yesterday at work as well. I will keep a close eye on your project as you bring it together.

I still have a pretty long way to go, I need to figure out hanging my screen, bottom of the bar, room acoustics and the operation of my projector lift. Looks like I will be busy this weekend as well!

Whats your location in Ontario? I am in Simcoe (down by lake Erie not Simcoe county north of TO).

post #33 of 64 Old 04-23-2014, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Hi Clay, I know exactly where you are, Simcoe is only an hour away. I'm in Dorchester just outside London. Go figure.

Maybe a road trip is in order when they're both finished :-)

post #34 of 64 Old 04-29-2014, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

not alot of time spend on my basement this weekend but managed to grab some insulation for my room. Just trying to lay it out now. Started behind my screen.

Pictures are a little grainy, sorry about that they are taken on my iphone in lower lighting conditions.

ran out of material that I covered them with. I have been back to buy more material but haven't had time to finish the bottom yet.

post #35 of 64 Old 05-05-2014, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

So I finished up putting black fabric over the insulation behind my AT screen. I don't have a picture of that but will try to get one up some time or another.

I then decided to look into acoustic wall. This is something when I first started my project I didn't really think of. But after I started my project and finding this web site I soon realized this was a major factor I should of looked into. I wanted to make sure that what ever I do I make it still look appealing, I think we can say some acoustic wall treatment doesn't look great at times.  With this in mind I find myself looking into the printed material. I might end up doing some of the panels with art. Others will be plain and black. I haven't decided what I am going to do for sure but wanted to make a couple quick panels to see what how my idea looked in the room.

I am planning on doing a combo of absorption and reflection treatments.

This is how I started, Its a little backwards but my Oak I bought was only in 6 foot in length so I started with that.

I first step I didn't take pictures of. I bought the oak in 4.25inch wide pieces. I cut them in half to start. Then to the miter saw to start cutting the frame lengths

Glue and nails on all four corners

After glue and nails I stained them all the same colour as the rest of the oak in the room.

The inside frame was made with poplar. It wasn't as wide as the oak but I didn't see a need for it to be, Its just there to pull the fabric around and staple.

Glued and nailed as well.

Stretched some fabric. This isn't the fabric I will be using in the end but just wanted to test what a black panel would look like.

This pic is a little blurry.

sorry this picture is really blurry. Just wanted to show how I stapled the sides.

So I made two mock ups of what I might used. I am still testing some Ideas out right now.

This is a close up of the red colour fabric. Its not totally red it has a fleck of black lines patter in it.

I am toying with the Idea of some of the panels being side light with LEDs behind the frame. I was thinking if out of 16 panels I lite up 8 it might look good.

Let me know what any of you think about edge lighting the wall treatment. I would like to hear from you if it looks good or I should just pass on it.

That is all I have done for now I will keep on posting when progress is made.

post #36 of 64 Old 05-05-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 827
I love all the pictures !

-

"Too much is almost enough. Anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing. Moderation is for cowards."
post #37 of 64 Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Great work, subscribed! I like the black panel with led lights, looks sharp and will match nicely with your other lights.
post #38 of 64 Old 05-29-2014, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 304
Excellent job so far! Great use of materials and unique ideas!

My Build Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #39 of 64 Old 05-30-2014, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Haven't done a lot of work on my media room lately. But thought I would post some picks of what I have done so far.

Even though I have not wrapped every acoustic panel I have made, I decide to get them hanging on the walls so they will be quicker to finish once my material comes in.

Some pics of my home made reflectors.

Some pics of the over all room in its current state.

post #40 of 64 Old 05-31-2014, 07:43 AM

Looks nice, have you taken any measurements of your sound yet? I'm curious as to how the diffuser/absorbers will impact your setup as I'm trying to decide what route to go with mine. I like all the hard wood surface you have but I was worried on doing that due to sound reflection. If your treatments help with that I might go more wood.

Last edited by Maklar; 07-09-2014 at 03:15 PM.
post #41 of 64 Old 06-02-2014, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I love all the pictures !
Quote:
Excellent job so far! Great use of materials and unique ideas!

Mfusick, and doublewing11 thanks for the posts and comments, good to see some one is reading and possibly enjoying the updates I put on here.

Quote:
Looks nice, have you taken any measurements of your sound yet? I'm curious as to how the diffuser/absorbers will impact your setup as I'm trying to decide what route to go with mine. I like all the hard wood surface you have but I was worried on doing that due to sound reflection. If your treatments hep with that I might go more wood.

Maklar- To be totally honest with you I am very new at the hole acoustic room treatment thing. I have not had any time to take any measurements. The only knowledge I have is from reading a bit on the Internet, this forum and listening to the home theater geeks room acoustic treatment shows they have broadcasted.I do believe what I have done has helped my rooms acoustic properties so far. Before the echos in the room were pretty bad, after putting up this treatment it is MUCH better. I still have a little bit of an echo but no were near what I had before. I think after my carpet goes down it will help that out. I chose to do some deflectors and absorbers, I wanted to to two more panels of deflectors but ended up not having enough supplies to make them. I plan on measuring it all after the room is put together, I just need to buy a mic and some software for my laptop. As for the wood frames I was hoping they would help acted as reflection points as well, I could be wrong but in the end some room acoustics is probably better then none at all.

As for the LED lights behind some of the acoustic panels, I think I will be holding off on that. That is alot more work than I expected if I was go do that. Not saying it won't ever be done, just going to get the room running before I dive into that.

This weekend I started to work on some of the cleaning up of wires to all my audio/video parts. I also started to wire up the electronics to power my electronic lift for the projector. The lift will be controlled by my automation system.

I also was able to pick up a Buttkicker LFE for a very reasonable price. I hooked that up and tested it. I did enjoy listening to music with the buttkicker on. My wife seems to think I should be putting it on all the chairs which surprised me she enjoyed it that much. I plan on having the buttkicker controlled with my automation system as well. That way I am able to turn it on or off depending on the mood I am in.

This weekend I ended up picking my carpet and furniture. Hope it all comes together well, it very hard to choose the carpet and colours of furniture.

This is the carpet I ended up going with, I looked at some with patterns and ended up just going with a plain dark colour.

I bought two of these chairs to go on the lower platform where the two black chairs are sitting in the pictures above. They are Palliser Banff Seats

And I ended up picking out a two seated love seat with a console to go in front of the Bar. I wasn't able to get this in black (I didn't want it to be leather) so I went completely opposite with off white, the material feels great. The made is La-Z-Boy and the model is Greyson.

This is a pic of the material

So now it time to wait on the furniture and carpet, but I do have a couple things left to do before they get put in. I am also waiting some printed material for some of my acoustic treatment panels.

post #42 of 64 Old 06-05-2014, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

So I wired up my Motorized lift last night. It is working, and I am happy with the results so far. It's a little shaky on the movement but not enough for me to worry about. I did a quick drawing if any one is interested. I have integrated it with my Control4 system. I am using 4 relays on the control4 to control the up (Relay1) down(Relay3) and safety up (Relay2) and safety down(Relay4). I used two more relays to take care of switching the polarity of the current to the actuator.

I drew this up by memory so I will double check it later at home to make sure this diagram is right. Let me know if anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer anything I can.

Last edited by ClayliketheDIRT; 06-12-2014 at 06:34 AM.
post #43 of 64 Old 06-10-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Not the most exciting part of the build to report on (I don't have any picture to share), but in my time waiting for my carpet and furniture I have been working on wiring up the Lift, Speakers, and touch pad that will live in the bar behind the couch. I also have been working on lighting. I installed two more pot lights in my soffit above my screen so they shoot down on the screen. I have done the final wiring job for the LED lights and have them controlled by my control4 system. I also have been working on lighting scenes and how these will be activated. I installed a door contact on the theater door, so as soon as you open the door (if the projector is off and lights are off) my control4 knows enough to activate a lighting scene of my choice. I also have lighting scene for when I turn on the projector (turning off the wall sconces, screen pot lights, and lower pot lights). I also have a lighting scene for when I shut the projector off it will turn the lights back on automatically.

I did work on the bar a little bit, putting some tile on the top and grouting it. I also started making the botton of it. I may the front a acoustice transparent screen and filled it with the instaltion for one more absorber in the room. I don't know how much this will help as the couch sits in front of it.

My test peices of the fabric I had printed for the acoustic treatment should be in any day now. I hope they turned out I ened up having the art stretched out quite a bit.

I will keep posting updates and maybe take some pics of the bar and post them soon.

post #44 of 64 Old 06-10-2014, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Clay, fantastic work so far! I love all of the woodwork you've done, it makes the rooms feel so rich and inviting. I also really like how you did the acoustic panels, they're going to tie in so nicely.
post #45 of 64 Old 06-10-2014, 08:05 PM

Which dewalt miter stand do you have? Lowes has the smaller one on sale so curious if you are using it or the bigger one? I'm hoping to pick up a dewalt miter saw and stand this weekend for father's day but still deciding which ones I want.
post #46 of 64 Old 06-11-2014, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OJ Bartley View Post

Clay, fantastic work so far! I love all of the woodwork you've done, it makes the rooms feel so rich and inviting. I also really like how you did the acoustic panels, they're going to tie in so nicely.

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for chiming in OJ Bartley. Nice to see some locals in my thread. I am south of you by lake Erie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar View Post

Which dewalt miter stand do you have? Lowes has the smaller one on sale so curious if you are using it or the bigger one? I'm hoping to pick up a dewalt miter saw and stand this weekend for father's day but still deciding which ones I want.

Maklar, I use the Dewalt 12" compound miter saw. http://www.dewalt.com/tools/machinery-miter-saws-dw718.aspx Its been fantastic, I couldn't be happier with my purchase of it. If you watch your local big box stores these bad boys go on sale with the stands for a very reasonable price a couple times a year. I know up here in Canada our big box store Home Depot they go on sale for around the $500-$550 range. Its worth every penny I paid for it. As I see it as long as you take care of your tools they will pretty well last a life time. You can also get a laser cutting guide but I don't have that for mine.

Just for reference sake I also use the Rigid portable table saw to any long cuts on the veneered plywood. https://www.ridgid.com/ca/en/10-inch-portable-table-saw I have been very happy with this table saw as well.

post #47 of 64 Old 06-12-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks! I ended up cheaping out and going with the dw715 for now. I might hold onto it for a bit and wait for some better deals but it seems like it will cut everything I want. I hoped for a deal on a dual bevel but didn't see anything in the dewalt line at least.
post #48 of 64 Old 06-18-2014, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

So my theater has been in limbo for the last little bit. I did get a chance to almost finish off the bar last weekend, by adding MDF to the bottom portions and painting the MDF the same grey colour that is on the walls.

Last night I ended up getting my two test screens prints in for my acoustic wall treatments. I did the two photos that had the worst resolution. They ended up turning out ok, not the deep and rich colour that I was hoping for but they were stretch out 6x the regular photos resolution. I guess you can't expect much when doing that. Here is a sample of what they turned out like.

Please chime in and let me know of you think they are passable. If most people think they look fine I think I will go ahead and print the rest of them.

I only had time to frame one; hopefully tonight I might get time to do the second test sample.

]

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	124050

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	124058

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	185.7 KB
ID:	124066

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	124074

Last edited by ClayliketheDIRT; 06-18-2014 at 04:17 AM.
post #49 of 64 Old 06-18-2014, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Wow putting pictures up now is a real chore.
post #50 of 64 Old 06-19-2014, 02:32 AM - Thread Starter

Second acoustic panel done, only nine more to go! they should be here by june 27th

post #51 of 64 Old 06-19-2014, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
The print fabric on the acoustic panels looks great Clay! Very unique and a great way to personalize your theater. Great work my friend, keep it going.

And yeah, uploading photos takes real effort now. Makes you appreciate what we had before.

post #52 of 64 Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRadiate View Post
The print fabric on the acoustic panels looks great Clay! Very unique and a great way to personalize your theater. Great work my friend, keep it going.

And yeah, uploading photos takes real effort now. Makes you appreciate what we had before.
Thanks IRadiate,

I am going with a super hero and villain theme on them. Down one wall will be heroes and the other there nemesis (eg Spider man-venom,Thor-Loki, Batman-joker and a couple extras). Like everything else I am waitingo n prints to come in (and carpet, and furniture).
Your build came together really well. Love those seats! The lights look great as well. Have you been watching much yet? Did theyCalibrate your projector, and speakers? Or is that something you will be tryingto undergo?
post #53 of 64 Old 07-10-2014, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter

Not a lot to report, still waiting on the carpet and furniture.

I had some time to search kijiji for some bar stools. I was able to pick up these bad boys for a VERY reasonable price! I pick them up because of the blackwood would match some of my other furniture and the off white seat will match my couch. There pretty easy to sit on and they have an auto return swivel on them.

I also had got all my custom material printed for my acoustic panels and was able to stretch and frame them all. I am pretty happy with how they turned out. I know some people aren't into the art on the walls but I do like it in my room, it looks better than having all of the acoustic treatments black. I did my best to get art that didn't have any writing on them; I thought it may be more art like. A BIG thanks goes out to nickbuol for helping me out with the image art!

As usual these are taken on my cell phone, I will get some better pictures once the project is done. My carpet is coming tomorrow so I will get some more pics up for any one interested in seeing that.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 134.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	155450   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 135.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	155458   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 131.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	155466   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 132.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	155474   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 133.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	155482  

Last edited by ClayliketheDIRT; 07-10-2014 at 06:01 AM.
post #54 of 64 Old 07-10-2014, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Simply WOW! The dark grey of the walls meshes beautifully with the dark stained wood. Love the subdued coloring and retro look of the superhero prints. A very classy theater.
The workmanship in so many of the builds these days is very humbling.

post #55 of 64 Old 07-11-2014, 06:28 PM

How's the carpet?
post #56 of 64 Old 07-12-2014, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Very nice looking theater and I love the look and theme of the panels! BTW, it looks like you have been gaming and watching movies before you are done. I have heard that can be a slippery slope!
post #57 of 64 Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skorzeney View Post
Very nice looking theater and I love the look and theme of the panels! BTW, it looks like you have been gaming and watching movies before you are done. I have heard that can be a slippery slope!
VERY SLIPPERY SLOPE! I did use my room a little bit well I was waiting on getting the carpet in furnature. It's hard not to use it when its so close to being finished off.

I did hold back on EQing the room until the carpet went down.
post #58 of 64 Old 07-14-2014, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidK442 View Post
Simply WOW! The dark grey of the walls meshes beautifully with the dark stained wood. Love the subdued coloring and retro look of the superhero prints. A very classy theater.
The workmanship in so many of the builds these days is very humbling.
Thanks for the feedback DavidK
post #59 of 64 Old 07-14-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maklar View Post
How's the carpet?

funny you should ask!

The boys came out Friday to do what they do best and thats make a room look finished!

Kinda strange I didn't remember calling the ghost busters?!

Maybe its the rocketeer

Some quick picks of my almost finished room. The couch hasn't arrived yet, not until Aug 8th. So my two chairs on top of the riser are Temps (although I really like them up there). I really like my chairs that are on the floor.

The first official movie with visitors was displayed Saturday night for my brothers daughters birthday (3 years old). She picked Frozen for all of us to watch.

I still need to figure out how I am going to calibrate the projector, and some day I would like to make some 15inch subs. I have a couple more things to do in the room but they were put on hold this weekend. I will take some good pictures some time and post them, these are from my cell.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 136.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	160489   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 137.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	160497   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 138.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	160505   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 139.jpg
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	160553   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 140.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	160561  

Name:	photo 141.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	160569   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 142.jpg
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	160625   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 143.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	160633  

Last edited by ClayliketheDIRT; 07-14-2014 at 08:51 AM.
post #60 of 64 Old 07-14-2014, 09:57 AM

Carpet looks nice! Almost has a suede look to it.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page