Warm up for Media Room - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1 of 66 Old 10-16-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22

So a while ago I was able to get some cash from our government to do an eco-energy audit. This led me to tear all the walls down in my basement, as well as replacing my furnace and air conditioner. I had to rip down all my exterior walls and rebuild them. The old walls where studded with 2x2 and I had to change it over to 2x4 to make enough room for the right R value insulation levels, that the government wanted. When tearing down all the walls and rebuilding them, I found myself thinking a lot of this space I was not using anything for but storage. I have always been a fan of home theater and video games. I would often find myself looking at cool basement and theater spaces. I decided to build my basement into a lounge and media room. My space isn’t very large, as well as my house is very awkwardly laid out. All the rooms in my house are long and narrow. But these are things I will have to deal with when building my two rooms.  Just to give anyone that is reading this a heads up, I have completed the first room which I call the gentlemen’s lounge. I am currently working on my media room (I call it a media room because I am not putting the money and technology that most people on this forum do. This is because of limited budget). I will give quick notes on what I did, to the best I can remember.

Unfortunately I don’t believe I have picture of the room before I started (I will have to maybe search and see if I have any kicking somewhere). The room before I started was just a dry walled room with very cheap tongue and groove pine slates on the ceiling. The walls where banged up from the young boy that live there before shooting hockey pucks down there. There was a carpet laid down there but it wasn’t meant for that room so it didn’t quite fit properly. The room also had a closet I took out to make the room a bit more square.

After studding and insulating and installing the vapor barrier, I wanted to make this room a little more solid. I wasn’t totally sure how I was going to finish all the walls. I knew I wanted to install some Wayne Scotting.  So I apply ½ play wood over all the walls. I also put safe n sound in the rafters on the ceiling to help with some noise. I know it would be sound proof but it did help in the end. Then I measured and started putting veneered plywood on the walls (Oak). I AM NOT A CARPENTER BY ANY MEAN. But it’s amazing on what wood filler and glue can do for your room. The veneered ply took me a long time; the stairs seem to be the most difficult.  I decided to do the rest of the wall just in drywall, due to my budget being eaten up quickly. Trimming came next, which really started making the room come together. I stained by hand and had a buddy help me spray the clear coat on.

The ceiling was done by making a floating island of sorts. I thought I would try to make it so around this floating island I could have removable ceiling in case I have to pull any type of wire or anything.  I used laminate, on the ceiling, as well as around it so I could easily lift them when I have to pull wire.

The carpet was the only thing I didn’t do myself.

I also installed LED lighting in the crown molding that will like up around the out and inner ring around the floating island. The led control is also hooked up to a music controller so it will pulse with music coming from the in ceiling speakers. I will try to get some picture of this one, I don’t have any right now. I also bought a candle stick holder from the UK and drilled it out and ran some wires to it. The gargoyle now holds a large clear crystal that I installed a single RGB LED light that will light up.

There is a TV mounted on one of the walls, this room isn’t meant for just TV but more of a lounge for when I finish the media room. I was thinking, when all the guys come over for some UFC on the projector (media room).  The ladies can hang out in the gentlemen’s lounge.  This room is control with Control4, all lighing LED lights TV and speakers are all controlled.

Without further gibber gabber I will post some picture for this room. Please take note that all photos have been taken on an iphone so some are blurry.

this wall you can see the plywood base before the drywall went up

like I said unfortunatley I dont think I have any earlier pics but i will look for some

This picture below is a good pick of the floating island base

more wood before trim

start of the trim

the stairs by far the hardest part

Trimming these agles seemed difficult at times. I am not a carpenter

looking a little closer to what I first hope it would be

I put some fake posts in, because that just looks cool

this was the start of the stain

OH! yes there are hidden doors. the one by the stars goes to my electrical room and panel room. The other is where the media room will be

My house is a side split so my ceillings are 10 foot, alot of people seem to like that, is doesn't feel like a basement as much.

I will do my best to post my progress on my media room as soon as possible and maybe some more pics of this room.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 10-16-2013, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

As for my media room I framed the walls, decided to make a raiser and build a wall where the screen will go. I put plywood over the walls first then drywall. My Idea will be to do some tall wood trim at the bottom, then drywall up to the bulk head and the bulk head will be wood as well. I will be carpeting the floor.

I don’t have a lot done but I do my best to keep plugging away as much as possible

I already have my speakers and projector. For my sound I decide to try to go 7.1 or 7.2I made an electronic lift for my projector.  I bought a JVC DLA4510U and for my speakers I needed to go in wall due to space issues.  I picked up some Atlantic Tech IWTS-30 LCR for my left, center, and right. As for my surrounds and backs I grabbed some IWTS-30 SR. The receiver I had from an older system but will use for now. It is a Marantz SR5005. I have pulled some conduit so I would be able to install buttkickers if I feel like it.

The large cardboard is where my screen will go

looking at this pic make me think I have alot of crap to work around

Shot of the raiser I put together

I added some boxes for speakers, I am hoping this will help keep the sound in the room, I know I will not be sound proof. But hopefully it will help

Plywooding a bit looking more like a room slowly

Fronts with ply up

Frame for where my lift will go

Another shot of the frame

Lift down

Lift Up

Shot with some drywall

I will try to get some more pictures of the room fully drywalled

post #3 of 66 Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Just a coulple more picture with all the drywall up, mudding still need to be done. I may try to tackle that this weekend. I am also waiting on my veneered plywood to come in (should be this friday)

I added a small riser or stage in front of my screen. I am not able to make it all the way accross the hole front wall because my sub may get in the way of my screen.

This is a picture of the riser I just added

This is a shot of the riser where the couch or love seat will sit, I am hoping to put a small bar at the back of the couch/love seat

This shot just shows how I am layering the wood to make my own trim, there will be veneered ply applied then trim on the tops to finish it off. The wire will be ressest LED lights I am planning on putting around the whole room. Something a little different rather than an LED strip that most people use. I still plan on using some LED Strip lighting, possibly under the standing bar or around the edge of my screen.

Shot of my stairs and pre pull for LED lights

Here is a sample of the lights I plan on using spaced out around the rooms trim. The picture shows white, but I have planned on RGB lights.

Please feel free to leave a comment, I would love to hear from all you avid A/V guys.

post #4 of 66 Old 10-19-2013, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 74
very nice......
post #5 of 66 Old 10-21-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayliketheDIRT View Post

...I am not a carpenter...

I find some humor in this quote after seeing what you have done.

It looks great! You should be very proud of your "not a carpenter" skills and what you have accomplished.

post #6 of 66 Old 10-22-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Walter, I am more into the electrical trade (I have been pulling wires and hook up stuff for 11 years now). I guess it helps when you work with your hands for a living. I just see journeyman working and I ask alot of questions when I can. I am probably like the little annoying brother that asks to many questions when I am on a site. Most trades people are pretty cool to talk about there work.

post #7 of 66 Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought I would post some new pics, I have had some time to work on my room. Slow and steady wins the race, so they say. I was able to do some mudding and put some of the oak ply up. I did a little crown molding and will be starting the other trim real soon.

post #8 of 66 Old 12-16-2013, 04:46 AM - Thread Starter

Just a couple more pic of the trimming that I have been doing. I haven't had alot of time but made some progress. I still have a litte more crown molding to install and then I can get to filling holes with wood filler and then to staining the wood.

post #9 of 66 Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

So I have had some time to plug away at some more of my construction. I am sure most of you understand that living with two small children, you don't seem to find time to do much. That and having three jobs doesn't help.

I am very excited to get this up and going. I ended up getting my screen material from Seymour and event time to build it. I set up my JVC DHL-RS4810 and tested it, only to find there is something wrong with he component video in. I am going to have to send that out to get fixed. Thankfully JVC has a three year warranty

Here are a couple of picture of the room as of right now.

Sorry for the cell phone pics, they aren't the best. I still have some staining to do but it about 85% complete.

this was a test for the ceiling that i will be putting into the theather. I will get some better picts soon hopefully.

Picture of where the projector lift will be sitting. The lift works well and I am happy with the resault of it.

Seymour XD screen. Couldn't be mor happy with it. If anyone is looking for an AT screen Symour are GREAT to deal with. I couldb't believe how fast they would get back to me after sending emails to them.

This is the plan for the wall colour I think. It is Benjamin Moore's Nortic Grey (CC-576), I may look into the possibility of Mort (CC-574).

Nordic Grey

Motar

Let me know what you guys think of the two colours, which one is better in your opinion???

post #10 of 66 Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Question on placement and ideas for Sub locations in my small room. I already have a sub that will be placed up font by my screen but think I will need a little more than just that. I will have a couch with a bar behind it. Would it be a good idea to possibly put a sub in this location, either on its own or build somehow into the bar? Not fully attached to the table top, free floating in some way between the legs of the bar.

I was thinking of putting a sub on the other side of my screen as well to match the first one. If I put a sub behind the couch, what size would the cabinet have be to get a reasonable sound out of it? I am not looking to blow the couch over but want a stronger sound than I currently have in this room (21'x11')

Things to take in consideration..

-can’t build it into any walls.

-might not be able to fish cables down the back wall.

-I understand the best placement for subs are in the middle of the room one at the front, one at the back. Or one on each side in the middle of the room, but I don’t think I would be able to do this.

Please let me know what you guy’s think; I know some of you guys are great with placement of speakers and such. I would love to hear other people’s opinions on this topic.

post #11 of 66 Old 04-08-2014, 04:15 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone out there?

Anyone want to give there two cents on placement for another sub, and size of sub(and box) for this room?

post #12 of 66 Old 04-08-2014, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Impressive build for someone just learning carpentry. Wonderful to have 10 foot ceilings I'm sure.
Not sure why you felt the need to go with in-walls for front speakers. At 21 feet you have plenty of room to build out a screen wall, especially with your second row of bar stools. In fact it looks as if your first row is quite far back for the screen size. This will be a benefit with the XD material, which is fabulous except that the fabric weave can be noticeable within 10 or 11 feet.

It seems you have done some research already on sub placement to know that center of opposing walls gives you the best chance for smooth bass.
Other than I'm afraid its trial and error. Personally I would try to make it work on the other side of the screen for simplicity and visual balance.
The question of sub-size is very difficult to answer because it depends on so many factors, including the type of media and your listening preferences.
"Reference" level seems to be a common target. Great for demoing your system but for regular movie watching it seems extremely loud to me. The addition of a decent quality ported 12" sub (SVS for example) should give you plenty of slam. A crazy suggestion if you are on a limited budget, but your room looks like a sub-woofer would integrate nicely into each of the four corners. This configuration has been shown to provide smooth bass response over a large seating area. Just food for thought.

I just stumbled across your thread tonight but will subscribe and follow along. Your space is the same width as a room I am contemplating turning into Theater 2.0. Curious to see how it all works out for you.

post #13 of 66 Old 04-09-2014, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the post DavidK442.

Before all my readings on this forum I installed some Atlantic Tech speakers and really like the sound of them, that’s one of the reasons I decided to go with the in walls.

Another reason is I do like in walls to minimize the amount of stuff on the floor as possible. In saying that, I would definitely agree with you about the false wall would of been probably a better bet, But after doing all the wood work I think I will be keeping on the original path.

As for the seating, there will be a chair on each side of the stairs of my riser. These will be about 8 feet from the screen; they would be the closet seating to the screen. The main seats will be the first row that sits on top of the riser and they are about 12 feet from the screen. Again, I would agree with you that it’s starting to get far for the size screen I have (111 inch). Even the riser I don’t really need, the reason to have it was because of the fact the door way was up about 16” to hide it the paneling in the other room.

After everything I have read, if I was to go back and redesign my room would I do it differently? Most likely yes, but I am going to finish this one and learn as much as possible from it. Then when I move to another house I can start my own home theater 2.0. I have some one that wants me to build a theater in there new house that I have already been installing automation in. Already from all the knowledge I have learn I will be designing it much differently than my own. I will try to document the build and post thread on it as well. It’s going to be quite a challenge because it’s a very small space (11’x11’).

I appreciate your suggestions on the sub location(s), it’s great to hear other people’s opinions. After I finish with room treatment I might see about adding a sub to all four corners. For now I might just try to plan on one on each side of the screen or one in the front or one in the back.

Thanks for subscribing; at least I know one person is looking at my thread!

post #14 of 66 Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'm planning on doing a bar behind a couch too.

How about placing the subs in opposite corners?

My theater: Escape from New York theater build

My Gear:
Fusion 12 Tempests (LCR)
Mach 5 UXL 18 - Sealed Subwoofer
Axiom M3v4 & M2v4 Surrounds
Onkyo TX-NR818
post #15 of 66 Old 04-09-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

I think I will wire for subs in all four corners now and try out two subs in any configuration that I can. Two in the front or opposite corners seems the most logical. I think it will have to come down to measurements, something I need to learn more about when I get to that point.

If I end up putting it in the back I am hoping it will fit behind the door. The door can’t open up fully only half way because the closure hits the wood moldings. It seems that is the best place in the back and when people walk around they don’t have to step over a sub.

post #16 of 66 Old 04-09-2014, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

For that project I talk to the owner and he seem to be happy with the possibility of buying a 80",90" TV. That might be the option we go with for that small of a space.

post #17 of 66 Old 04-09-2014, 10:05 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Beautiful job. I'm in construction management. I ask a million and one questions of all the subs. It's the only way any one can learn. You have done a tremendous job you should be very happy for not being a carpenter. I have union carpenters that couldn't do the finish work you've done and they make 6 figures.
About the four subs I would think that would throw the sound off. Each in its on corner I would think it wouldn't sound right. But I'm not an expert. Good luck.
post #18 of 66 Old 04-10-2014, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the confidence booster Garywade1978!

This weekend I plan on spraying some clear on the wood. I find spraying the best way to do it. Going to do two coats of the satin finish if possible. Looking to get at least on this weekend and one mid next week done.

I have read other places that four subs, one in each corner can produce good results. I will only know by measurements in the end. So much has to do with whats in the room as well.

post #19 of 66 Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM - Thread Starter

This weekend I was busy trying to make as much progress as I was able to on the basement media/theater room. I committed on a friend to come over with his spray gun to spray the clear coat on the wood. This forced me to make some progress before he came.

-Mask the room off for clear coat

-Touched up any staining that needed to be done before clear

-Build my small bar that will be behind the couch and stain it so we could clear it

Just a quick pick of the masking I did

Pic of the bar starting to be stained, I didn't take any pics of the construction of the bar, I was in too much of a hurry to get it done.

Under the stained wood I think I will put some MDF and paint it black. The rest of my room has black high lights, and I would like the bar to be the same. I was originally going to put LED accent lighting on the bar but I am not sure I will be able to do that anymore.

I sprayed two coats of clear Sunday. I will post some pics when I get a chance of the final product.

Going to try to wire some LED lights in the trim soon, maybe tonight

post #20 of 66 Old 04-14-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking good. The shot down the length towards the screen wall gives a nice perspective.
Oak sure does stain nicely; even coverage with no blotches. Masking the entire room to spray clear, that is patience.
Great results I'm sure, and probably quicker than slathering it on with a brush in the end. Hope you have some serious ventilation planned.

post #21 of 66 Old 04-15-2014, 04:36 AM - Thread Starter

So I left my house for work yesterday morning by 5 am and didn't get home till 9:30 pm. I wasn't feeling like doing a hole lot in my basement but still forced myself to work down there for about an hour. At the speed at which I was working I was only able to gather my stuff and install 10 of the 24 LED lights that will be in the baseboard of my trim.

I am not sure how this is going to look. But the holes are there and are going to be install regardless if I use them.

Let me know what you guys think, I know they are a little different than what most people do.

just a quick pic of the clear coat done

Shot of the bar after stained and cleared

Close up of a led RGB light in my trim

post #22 of 66 Old 04-15-2014, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I really like all the wood you're using! Looks great!
post #23 of 66 Old 04-16-2014, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Trak76, I used Oak and ended up getting a custom stain colour (or color for all you Americans). I have always been a fan of darker wood stains.

Last night I ended up wiring up almost all my LED lights in the trim. I even light them up briefly to see how it would look. I was pleasantly surprised and think its looks pretty slick. I will have to get some pics of it soon so I can post them up here.

I will leave you guys with some pics of the wiring of the lights. Its a very simple process but just in case some people are unfamiliar with how something like this would be wired.

Just showing that there is a wire that feeds the voltage and another that goes to the next LED light. I have stripped the jacket of the wire to get ready to hook the LED light up

So I put have crimp connected the coloured wires together, red to red, white to white (blue on the LED tail), green to green, Black to black. The Black wire is the wire with the voltage and the other three are the RGB ground wires. These lights are 12v DC. I would normally use B-connectors but I had a bunch of these crimp connectors on hand so I used them.

Taped the connection up and shoved it back in the wall. I could of not taped it and the connection be fine but I am just going one step more than I have to.

post #24 of 66 Old 04-16-2014, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Awesome job, so far congrats!! Like those led trim lights, very nice.
post #25 of 66 Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Oman321

Here are more pics of the leds with some power hooked up

post #26 of 66 Old 04-17-2014, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Clay - don't know how I have missed your thread so far but I really like the LEDs and woodwork - nice job!

The Esquire Theater Construction Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1289590
post #27 of 66 Old 04-22-2014, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

So the long weekend for me was no time to rest. It just gave me more time to hide away in my basement working away at my project.

So my plan for this weekend was to try to

-finish as much as the ceiling as possible

-Prime the walls

-Pick a final paint colour and start the painting

Here are some pics of what I accomplished...

Pics of the ceiling before I started

I used laminate on the ceiling that lays in the cavity and rests on a 1"x1" piece of Oak so the weight will not rest on the crown molding.

Some pot lights added.

Next step was to prime the walls.

After that I decided I had some time to take some pics of the ceiling before I started to paint the walls

So painted two coats of my new colour (American color). I am super happy with the colour I ended up getting it took me some time find the right colour I wanted, and change it at the last minute. Like I said I am loving the colour.

Even found some time to trim the final trim!

And a little more time to clean up my room and check out my screen in it.

I will keep posting as I can. I don't know what my next step will be. Either the bar or the top of the stage and step. I also Need to add some lights in the bulk head above the screen. I think I am going to hinge the screen to the wall.

post #28 of 66 Old 04-22-2014, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

A huge amount of work and beautifully done.
Those high ceilings allow so much creativity.
A question: Are the ceiling planks screwed in place or are they just resting up there? Wondering about low frequency vibration and noise.

post #29 of 66 Old 04-22-2014, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks davidk442
The ceiling is not being held down by anything, and I have thought about it. This is going to be a bit of an experiment. I am assuming it may be fine seeing the weight of the product. I really wanted something that I could remove and still access the ceiling in the future. It's very thick and heavy I will be surprised if it moves. But in saying that there always is a possibility you hit the one frequency and it could move or raddle it.

I will hook my sub up to it this weekend and dail it up to see what happens.
post #30 of 66 Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17

Hi Clay,

Just ran across your thread ... now subscribed. You are doing an incredible job .. it looks stunning even at this stage !!!

If you hadn't put "I'm not a carpenter" I would never have known. In fact now I don't believe you :-) Just kidding.

My theater is going to be done in brown's as well, though somewhat darker than yours.

Keep up the awesome work dude.

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page