Black Velvet Theater Project - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I didn't want to clutter the "Black Theater" thread with too many shots, but several people have asked me to post photos of my remodel. Here goes.

This project was started because my theater space wasn't good enough for sound. I also decided to improve the already dark space by using black velvet for the walls and ceiling to make it even darker than it already was. I reconfigured the room so that I could put the projector in an adjacent room to keep the theater space quieter and cooler.

The old treatments have been removed here and a hole cut in the wall for the projection chamber. The bi-fold door and frame for the pocket door wait to be installed.

I never used my fireplace once, so sacrificing it for the new screen wall was a no-brainer. Note that the home builder must have been Irish, the only explanation for the green mortar.

The pocket door and projection chamber frame are in.

A 2x4 framework goes up for the sound treatments and velvet.

Goodbye fireplace. I barely knew you.

The projection chamber takes shape in the other room.

The right surround speaker (GoldenEar Invisa 650).

Glass block windows 7" deep are filled with insulation, joining other insulation for dampening low frequency sounds.

The projection chamber opens up into a dead space in the middle of the house, which in turn will become an exhaust for hot air and sound into the basement.

The Holmes exhaust fan has two fans that can be turned off independently, and whose air flow can be reversed. It's thermostatically controlled (for going on when temps hit 60, 65, 70, 75, or 80 degrees) - $40 at Target.

More insulation for the area around the fireplace.

Shutters for the window.

The drop ceiling goes up. Each standard Armstrong acoustical panel has black velvet cut and stapled on the back (SyFabrics triple black velvet, available online, ceiling panels from Lowes).

Eight recessed LED lights are arranged around the viewing area, out of the line of sight to the screen. Each light is 12 watts, and the system is controlled by an IR dimmer.

The screen wall is enclosed (and later painted black).

Fiberglass panels (recycled from the old space) fill the 2x4 framework to dampen sound.

The old carpet pad is removed, revealing hardwood floors. Beautiful as they are, they have to go.

The other room is painted and the projection chamber evolves. The vent cover will disappear later.

The carpet is installed by Lowes (Heyday, deepest plush). My friend Chris cleans up after some drilling and sanding.

Rope lights circle the room midway up the walls and run along the edge of the shuttered window.

The frame to make the opening in the projection chamber window smaller and more light tight is built in two parts - a simple box filled with insulation on top and a "horn" with a tilted slot that houses the waterwhiteglass.com glass. It's 8" square and 1/4" thick, costing $80. It's highly transmissive and non-reflective.

The Holmes fan is installed and ready to cool the projection chamber. Insulation dampens the sound from the space.

A new DVD/Blu-ray shelf is attached to the wall. It holds a fraction of the collection, most of which is on a server in the basement.

New seating and the only non-black items in the room (chocolate brown leather recliners from the "old room"). The Invisa surround speaker covers are not yet painted flat black.

The Holmes fan opens into the basement, exhausting hot air so that none of it reaches the main room or the projection chamber room.

The finished projection chamber window.

GoldenEar Triton Two speakers are the mains. Triton Seven's are Audyssey wides. The GoldenEar SuperCenter XL is not shown.

The Invisa 650 grill painted flat black. Flat black paint is the "brightest" thing in the home theater. Glossy black paint appears even darker to the naked eye.

The new equipment rack is in the adjoining room. It has a piece of dark Lowes furnace filter cut for the space on the side with the oak trim, replacing the white vent. Another vent is in the top. Cool room air is pulled in by the Holmes exhaust fan inside the projection chamber.

The projecton chamber room is unfinished at this point. More shelving for discs will go along the wall next to the projection chamber, and larger shelving will go under that. Artworks created by my Godfather were removed from the home theater room and are now on the walls of this space. New lighting will go up to accent those works.

Both sound and image have been improved dramatically by the changes in this room.
Charles R and FilmReverie like this.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 02:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 331
You have done a lot. Should be a nice room when you finish. Wish I could get my projector out of my room, but it is an exterior wall and I do not want to build a bump out on the second floor. It would look like a window air conditioner on the outside. Got a real laugh out of the green mortar. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I really like, though I imagine with black carpet I would have to vacuum it every day. But it would be worth it.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Excellent job !! smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #5 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163

Great job. Converting a living room to a deep dark space capsule! Love the projector and equipment stored outside... be sure to post an image of the projection area when it's completed.

post #6 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 06:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmReverie View Post

I really like, though I imagine with black carpet I would have to vacuum it every day. But it would be worth it.

biggrin.gif Yes, I bought a small cordless vacuum just for this room. Every tiny speck shows. So far, though, it's been fairly easy to keep it looking good.

Joe Clark

post #7 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Great job. Converting a living room to a deep dark space capsule! Love the projector and equipment stored outside... be sure to post an image of the projection area when it's completed.

Will do, Charles. My Godfather was a gifted artist and musician. I had to find a good space for his work. I'm hoping the ceiling track lights I picked do them justice.

Joe Clark

post #8 of 10 Old 10-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Awesome job Joseph! Congrats and enjoy. smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #9 of 10 Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, Toe. You were responsible for steering me toward black velvet. The SyFabrics black velvet that I used was extremely effective. It's hard to imagine that the more expensive Fidelio would have done much better. JoAnn Fabrics' cheapest velvet is essentially the same, except that it costs a little more, even with a 50% off coupon. At full price, it would have cost me a fortune in velvet alone. Originally I used navy blue vellux blankets that I found on sale at Taget (cut and mounted in small sections). They also did a good job, but not as good as the black velvet.

Joe Clark

post #10 of 10 Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here's a link to the Lowes carpet I used.

Joe Clark

Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page