Hopefully very quick riser height question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm sorry, I know there are a bunch of these but everyone seemed to be working around slightly different issues and I'm too much of a n00b to know if they apply here. This should be my last new thread for a couple of days. smile.gif

This is an initial layout for a new HT room in our basement (screen on far right). My conundrum is that, due to the proximity of stairs up and down, any riser height other than 14" or 7" could potentially create a trip hazard as folks negotiate the steps.

[The blue gets lighter each 'step' up from the basement floor]

(Note: The 'width' of the riser in the room is completely arbitrary at this point, i haven't really looked into that part at all yet)

I know there are a lot of factors to consider for the idealized riser height, but I'm just trying to figure out if it warrants a departure from the 14" or 7" levels that the stair pitch would otherwise indicate. My initial though is to go with a 14" riser, which is what is illustrated. This seems a good bit high of what is commonly recommended. A 7" riser seems too low, but a small bump could be added for the seating (?)

I'm just not sure which option is better, or if i'm missing a better third option. I have the first step down in the little hallway because it gives me a bit more clearance between the door and the ceiling in the HT room. There's going to be a soffit there for some mechanicals (thanks again BIG!).

Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
if you have the ceiling height there is actually nothing wrong with a 14 inch riser. One of my favorite theaters (I only did the fabric work) has a 24 inch riser for a two row theater. A higher riser actually adds some "class" to the space, You enter this space at riser level on the side. The original room was built 24 inches lower than the rest of the basement in anticipation of a 3 row theater. After the walls were poured it was determined that a three row design was just going to be too tight so a very comfortable space was designed by the Erskine Group.

From the swizzle stick:

post #3 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 08:59 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 580
post #4 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My riser is a 2x10, with two layers of 3/4" MDF, so a total of roughly 11 inches. I wish it were an inch or two taller. I think you will be pleased with a 14" riser, and not so pleased with a 7" riser.

It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.

Brian
The Cinema Rouge Home Theater
post #5 of 8 Old 10-18-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys (again)! That Swizzle Stick build looks fantastic!
post #6 of 8 Old 10-21-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Mine was built into the house as well, my theater is in the bonus room so one of the 3 car garages is a workshop separated by a wall. The work shop ceiling is 12" lower than the garage. Just use a 2x12 and two layers of 3/4" T&G which will give you 13" then you only need to rip about an inch off a 2x6 to make your step with 2 layers of 3/4" T&G if doing carpet this will give you a 6 1/2" step. I used a oak thread on my step though. 6 1/2" rise will pass any code so no worry there.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468993/the-retirement-dream-home-theater/150#post_23552162
post #7 of 8 Old 10-21-2013, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw5billwade View Post

Mine was built into the house as well, my theater is in the bonus room so one of the 3 car garages is a workshop separated by a wall. The work shop ceiling is 12" lower than the garage. Just use a 2x12 and two layers of 3/4" T&G which will give you 13" then you only need to rip about an inch off a 2x6 to make your step with 2 layers of 3/4" T&G if doing carpet this will give you a 6 1/2" step. I used a oak thread on my step though. 6 1/2" rise will pass any code so no worry there.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1468993/the-retirement-dream-home-theater/150#post_23552162

Too funny! I saw Mario's build in the HTotM and (absurdly?) one of the first things that popped into my mind was 'whoa, i really like those treads!'.

Thanks for the info, this sounds exactly what I need to do.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-23-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcims View Post

Too funny! I saw Mario's build in the HTotM and (absurdly?) one of the first things that popped into my mind was 'whoa, i really like those treads!'.

Thanks for the info, this sounds exactly what I need to do.
Where do you think I got the idea from I just got the 12" x1" Oak threads which already had the round over for the lip of the step and the trim for the riser thread materiel in 16 foot length which also already had the round over where as Mario built his all from scratch. When they were building my house they were using it on my stair landings to break up the carpet coming up the steps and I asked how long does that come in.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page