Room Design Advice Request - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-17-2013, 10:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just moved into a new home (to us) a few months ago. First floor was completely gutted, new kitchen, laundry, floors, etc, etc. Now that the first floor is complete I have a little money left over and would like to build a dedicated theater room.
The basement was finished when we bought the home. I had the guys who did the first floor construction build a wall with door to enclose a space I could use for the theater. I used Roxul Safe N Sound and double drywall for the little good it will do. Since the majority of the room was finished it's not worth it to rip out all the drywall and start new. Drywall ceiling will make it challenging to run cables, but I'll just have to cut holes and feed wire through.

I'm about to paint the room. Flat black on ceiling and screen wall. Likely a dark burgundy on the surrounding walls. The window wells will have blackout blinds.

I've got a soffit enclosing what is likely an I beam and something else. I'm going to pop a hole in it shortly so I know exactly what's inside. The soffit is about 14 ft. back from the wall and i'm not sure if it will interfere with the projector placement. I was thinking about mounting the projector flat under the soffit.

Dimensions of room are 12 ft. wide x 31 ft. long x 7.4 ft high. The area where the screen will be placed has a bay. The bay width is 5 ft. expanding out. The soffit is 14 ft. from the bay wall. The soffit itself is 25 in. wide and runs across the width of the room.

My thoughts for a screen are a 114 in. Carada Criterion 1.78 x 1 classic cinema white, 106 inches wide by 62.6 inches high. I'm guessing the screen will need to be fixed to some kind of post structure from ceiling to floor, about a foot or two from the bay wall. I will have about 2 ft. open below the screen where I would like to place my center channel, and about 4 inches open from the ceiling. The placement and size of the screen/center channel has me a little concerned. Any advice would be appreciated here.

Projector will be a Sony VPL-HW50ES.
Speakers are B&W 804s, HTM4 and some Polks as sides. I need to replace the Polks and also buy some rears. Looking to match my B&Ws. Sub is an Epic 18 in Dynasty and will likely be placed at the side or back of the room.
Amps are Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-200. Preamp is Marantz AV-8003.
Oppo blu-ray
etc

Any advice at all is appreciated.

Here are some pics of post construction pre-painting. I tried to show the bay area where the screen would be and the soffit. Ignore the wall speaker. The home's previous owner stuck some wall spears around the basement in without any logical placement.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-18-2013, 06:36 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 575 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Get an acoustically transparent screen and place the speakers where they belong.

I showed how we dealt with a big beam in the middle of the ceiling in my Rawlinsway project, linked in my signature. You do not want to hang the projector from the beam, just hang it behind the beam so that the lens just clears the sight-line. If you hang it below the beam you will end up hanging it 3-4 inches lower in the room due to the mount.
post #3 of 11 Old 10-18-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

Get an acoustically transparent screen and place the speakers where they belong.

I showed how we dealt with a big beam in the middle of the ceiling in my Rawlinsway project, linked in my signature. You do not want to hang the projector from the beam, just hang it behind the beam so that the lens just clears the sight-line. If you hang it below the beam you will end up hanging it 3-4 inches lower in the room due to the mount.

Guessing I just trim the projector mount pole until the projector is as high as possible but low enough that the picture isn't interrupted. Having never hung a projector I've been concerned. BIG, I looked through your Rawlinsway thread. Nice work. Wish I had an unfinished space...and more cash...to put something like that together. Couldn't find a good picture showing where the projector was mounted in relation to the I beam. Does it all depend on the throw distance first, then adjust the height as needed?

If I were to put only the sub behind the screen, but the screen was not acoustically transparent, would I have issues? Other than aesthetics are there concerns around putting the sub elsewhere in the room?

This is a quick setup for me since I put so much into the main floor remodel. I have enough spare change to buy a projector, screen and not much else. Will likely be watching movies from the floor but at least they will be in full glory. wink.gif

That said, I still want to lay the groundwork for further refinement. Correct screen size and projector/speaker placement being the foundation. I can improve as I refresh the coffers.
post #4 of 11 Old 10-18-2013, 09:31 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The Chief mounts use a standard 1 1/2 inch threaded pipe. Home Depot has a bunch of stock sizes but will cut a custom length upon request. Spray paint it black.

Some selected pics of the down pipe mount.

post #5 of 11 Old 10-23-2013, 10:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

just hang it behind the beam so that the lens just clears the sight-line. If you hang it below the beam you will end up hanging it 3-4 inches lower in the room due to the mount.

If the beam is 25 in. front to back and 9 inches below the ceiling how much further below the beam does the projector lens need to be? If I have the lens 10 inches from the ceiling or clearing the beam by 1 inch will the image clear the 25 inch width of the beam on it's way to the screen?
The top of the screen will be 8 in. from the ceiling, although I could lower it another couple inches if necessary.

Thanks
post #6 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

This might come down to a trial and error installation as I don't know how to calculate the distance from ceiling of the projector to avoid the beam.
My thought was to install the 110 in. screen first since it has little room for movement then mount the projector 13-14 ft. back. I'll probably screw a piece of 3/4 in. plywood to the joists and mount the projector to that so I'm not ripping out drywall until I know exactly where the projector should stay. I'll also buy several post tube sizes and trial and error the height.

I've already cut a few holes where I'm going to run the speaker wire between joists above the drywalled ceiling. The distance from the closet to the screen where the speakers will be is about 25 ft so I was thinking about running a 4 in PVC tube the length and make it easy to run the cables. Otherwise with all the pipes already existing between the joists it will be a pain to feed through.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice I'd appreciate it. Retrofitting a theater room can be challenging and requires creative thinking.
post #7 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jszei View Post

This might come down to a trial and error installation as I don't know how to calculate the distance from ceiling of the projector to avoid the beam.

Use a piece of string... Tack one end to the wall at the top edge of the screen's location (not through the screen!!!! biggrin.gif ), bring the other end to your proposed projector location. Don't let the string touch the beam ("Operation"-style) and that will show you where the top of the projector's lens can be.

You can also use graph paper to make a scale drawing and draw a line. smile.gif Nothing like a physical proof though to remove all doubt in math...

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #8 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jautor View Post

Use a piece of string... Tack one end to the wall at the top edge of the screen's location (not through the screen!!!! biggrin.gif ), bring the other end to your proposed projector location. Don't let the string touch the beam ("Operation"-style) and that will show you where the top of the projector's lens can be.

You can also use graph paper to make a scale drawing and draw a line. smile.gif Nothing like a physical proof though to remove all doubt in math...

Won't the projected image start expanding out based on how far the projector is from the screen? I wouldn't think the top of the lens would be even with the image 14 ft away.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Yes the light beam expands but the engineers were smart enough to make sure that it only expands down, or up if sitting on a stand. They do this with the optical design Trust us us the string method works. And before you ask you mount the projector level not pointed down.
post #10 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by jszei View Post

Won't the projected image start expanding out based on how far the projector is from the screen? I wouldn't think the top of the lens would be even with the image 14 ft away.

Yes, it expands, but as Big explained, the image doesn't come "straight" out the projector. Note that the string method is to prove that your light path is free of obstructions - it doesn't tell you if the projector is capable of throwing light at that angle. For that, you need to look at the projector's specifications to see what is allowable for the position of the projector relative to the screen. "Lens shift" is what allows the flexibility of placement (vertically).

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
Theater build photos: http://photobucket.com/autor-ht
post #11 of 11 Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 PM - Thread Starter

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 3D sync transmitter needs to have line of sight to the top of the screen. At least on my projector the transmitter is above the lens and would then need to be below the beam for line of sight.
Thanks for the explanation regarding lens shift.
Reply Dedicated Theater Design & Construction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page